Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Gift Child with Social Deficits

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:22 pm
My son's principal wants to skip him ahead now. He is bh super brilliant and way ahead of the curve academically, but is really struggling socially. On the one hand he is sometimes more mature than the other kids and at other times he acts like a baby. He hasn't made any friends and is constantly fighting. He is also coming home from school every day and throws tantrums.

Long winded way of saying, where can I find an easy way to teach him social skills, either online or a good easy to understand book?

I tried talking to him about how he's feeling and why he's behaving the way he does but he just gets really upset and distant

amother
IndianRed

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:59 pm
A book isn't going to cut it. You need a social skills therapist probably.

Has he ever been evaluated? Could he be on the spectrum?

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:13 pm
I have a 12 year old son who is brilliant and has had a lot of social issues and adhd. Socially, hes made a lot of progress over the years. He wanted to skip and the school and I refused. The class ahead would eat him alive and he would need to be in mesivta to not be bored. So its trading one set of issues for another.

He spent years in therapy, was in a small class for a year with a lot of in the moment social support and is medicated. We used social thinking and found it really beneficial.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:32 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
A book isn't going to cut it. You need a social skills therapist probably.

Has he ever been evaluated? Could he be on the spectrum?

He has a school provided social skills coach once a week and we have seen great results, but we also want to add on to it with at home reinforcements. He has been evaluated in preschool and is sensory and probably add like his mom, but nothing to suggest autism.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:33 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I have a 12 year old son who is brilliant and has had a lot of social issues and adhd. Socially, hes made a lot of progress over the years. He wanted to skip and the school and I refused. The class ahead would eat him alive and he would need to be in mesivta to not be bored. So its trading one set of issues for another.

He spent years in therapy, was in a small class for a year with a lot of in the moment social support and is medicated. We used social thinking and found it really beneficial.

thanks for your input. What is social thinking?

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:34 pm
https://www.socialthinking.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)