Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can some people not lose weight no matter how hard they try?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:43 pm
Getting enough sleep also is important. You need to drink a lot more than 8 Oz of water a day unless you eat fruits and vegetables loaded with water. The average adult needs 8 cups of water. Most Americans are dehydrated, thus the obesity rate. We also often mistaken thirst for hunger. When you feel the need to eat, take a glass of water. After that, you can take a healthy choice. I second the proper fat intake. And protein 3× a day. Low fat protein.

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:12 pm
If you eat few enough calories, you'll lose weight.

But actually successfully losing weight and keeping it off is a matter of figuring out how to eat fewer calories without driving yourself insane. There's some interesting research about how relying on will power for weight loss just doesn't work over right. You need to work with yourself, not against yourself. Well, most people can successfully use willpower at the grocery store. But once they've brought something home? No.

Low carb, low fat, whatever, they can all work because by restricting your diet, you'll tend to eat less. If you try one of those diets and it doesn't reduce your calorie intake, you won't lose weight. The right personality can make calorie counting work, but for plenty of people, that will just drive them a bit insane.

After trying a bunch of diets with no success, I started keeping a food journal. Notice what breakfasts you're eating on days when you eat well vs days when you eat stuff you aren't happy with: I find that any sugar in breakfast (including in coffee or tea) gets me off to a high nosh day, but a sweet treat after dinner is fairly harmless if I can afford the calories. Eating more protein is also really helpful for appetite management for me. You want to make simple and sustainable changes, not ones that make you crazy.

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:17 pm
if you're really physically active it will help a lot. I don't mean 'going to the gym' a couple of times a week and schmoozing, I mean committing to a serious program of excercise (biking, jogging, or whatever) several times a week and making that a real, lifelong committment. I know very few people who do that and who are legitimately overweight.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:35 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
I was just talking to my friend who was very successful in IF I’m conjunction with low carb diet.
Think she lost about 100 pounds.

Also what about those injections that so many people are trying? Ozempine
Another friend of mine lost 30 pounds since the summer.
I tried intermittent fasting but couldn't do it. I am on a low carb diet. I don't want to use medications.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:37 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Did you try keto? Only asking because you said low carb but yes fruit. For some people they need to be in ketosis to actually start burning far.

I think some people just have the odds stacked against them, but I don't believe "their DNA is programmed that way". Indigenous societies have zero cases of obesity and just 50-100 years ago even western countries most people were slim. Genes don't change that quickly. Its something in our environment and the way were eating plus genetic predisposition of course. This isn't meant to point fingers, I am overweight myself. I just think being accurate and scientific will eventually be helpful in discovering how to help ourselves. Fwiw, labs coming back normal doesn't mean much. Standard labs barely scratch the surface of what's going on in our bodies.
I tried optavia but not actual ketosis. I eat around 2 fruit a day.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:39 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
if you're really physically active it will help a lot. I don't mean 'going to the gym' a couple of times a week and schmoozing, I mean committing to a serious program of excercise (biking, jogging, or whatever) several times a week and making that a real, lifelong committment. I know very few people who do that and who are legitimately overweight.

The bolded - you can definitely be active and overweight. I have been actively involved in sports since a teen. I am in my 50s now and still regularly exercise at a decent intensity. I am “legitimately” overweight. As I said in a previous post, I don’t mind though, as I love what my body can do. I just wish other people didn’t mind - it is others who seem to be bothered by fat people, even those like me who enjoy regular exercise. I know slender people who have had cancer and strokes and yet I have so far evaded both. Even so, it seems skinny people are still all the rage, regardless of how fit the fat person is. 🙄

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:42 pm
amother Viola wrote:
No there’s no such thing. There’s something you’re doing wrong. My dr said to me, in the Holocaust not one person stayed heavy. If you don’t take in more calories than necessary you lose weight.

Are you drinking at least 8 oz of water every day? Eating healthy fats? What are you eating in a day? If you eat too little your body stores up fat because it goes into starvation mode.

I tried every diet and would lose some and then gain again, until I did high protein, low carb. I did no fruit (that turns to sugar just like candy does). Veggies, lots of healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil), any proteins I want… lost over 70 lbs.— best diet ever, no hunger.
I drink a lot of water, avocado, olive oil, I eat a lot of protein, and low carb. but I do eat 2 fruit every day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:46 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Firstly hatzlacha on your weight loss journey

What I found worked for me was to write down everything I ate.
At some point years ago, I did weight watchers, and the group leader said a point that I don't think I can ever forget
Don't forget your BLT's
write down every bite, lick, and taste. Those add up to more calories than we can imagine.

So any diet you try, it is important to track and see your true total calorie intake.
Also, a good idea to invest in a kitchen scale, I don't trust my eye to know how much I am eating.
amen thanks. I did write down for first 6 weeks but I eat almost the same thing every day so I know what I'm eating now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:47 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
Your body needs calories to burn calories.
It very well could be that you have been depriving your body of necessary nutrition therefore it went into survival mode and stored all food as fat.
My first step would be a nutritionist to discuss proper calories and how to count them.
I was most successful in losing weight when I was EATING
I haven't noticed that eating more helps me lose weight, if anything if makes me gain weight? But I don't eat so much.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:54 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
Getting enough sleep also is important. You need to drink a lot more than 8 Oz of water a day unless you eat fruits and vegetables loaded with water. The average adult needs 8 cups of water. Most Americans are dehydrated, thus the obesity rate. We also often mistaken thirst for hunger. When you feel the need to eat, take a glass of water. After that, you can take a healthy choice. I second the proper fat intake. And protein 3× a day. Low fat protein.
I drink a lot of water much more than 8 cups. I eat protein at every meal. I sleep ok. How much fat intake?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:58 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
I exercise every day a little, but weight is more about what you eat then exercise.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:02 pm
Are you making sure you’re not consuming too many calories? There are calculators online to see how many calories you should eat to lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit.

If you eat the same thing everyday, I would suggest just eating less. That will create a calorie deficit.

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:11 pm
amother Clear wrote:
The bolded - you can definitely be active and overweight. I have been actively involved in sports since a teen. I am in my 50s now and still regularly exercise at a decent intensity. I am “legitimately” overweight. As I said in a previous post, I don’t mind though, as I love what my body can do. I just wish other people didn’t mind - it is others who seem to be bothered by fat people, even those like me who enjoy regular exercise. I know slender people who have had cancer and strokes and yet I have so far evaded both. Even so, it seems skinny people are still all the rage, regardless of how fit the fat person is. 🙄

Kudos to you! It’s just an observation that any one of my friends who are very actively physically fit (and my non frum colleagues in particular are very into physical fitness, like running marathons etc) are generally not significantly overweight. Of course there are exceptions to that and heavy excercisers come in all body types, and health and beauty are very possible at every size. But I do think that most people I know who are lifelong excercisers tend to be a certain way, that’s all. I know my body significantly changed when I made a lifelong commitment to excercise about ten years ago and I have kept it up through pregnancies, nursing, busy periods of life, etc and it is legitimately what keeps me at the size I am without needing to count calories (I was never good at that). But everyone needs to do what works for them, their bodies, and their health.

May you be able to keep your health and fitness for many many years!

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I exercise every day a little, but weight is more about what you eat then exercise.

Definitely consider becoming more physically active. Like walking more, using the stairs, not sitting at a desk for hours (get a standing desk for example), and upping your excercise. Take walks or jogs during lunch breaks. Buy a set of weights and use them for a few minutes a day. Hold a plank for a couple of minutes a night. Commit to 30 sit ups and push ups every day. That sort of thing can make all the difference.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:02 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
Definitely consider becoming more physically active. Like walking more, using the stairs, not sitting at a desk for hours (get a standing desk for example), and upping your excercise. Take walks or jogs during lunch breaks. Buy a set of weights and use them for a few minutes a day. Hold a plank for a couple of minutes a night. Commit to 30 sit ups and push ups every day. That sort of thing can make all the difference.

Yes to add to this I eat very healthy and still could not lose weight. It isonly when I started exercising 5 days a week that I saw results. ( actually thanks to imamother - on a diff thread amother posted names of online trainers and tryed out a few until I found the one trainer with online videos and an app and I love her and her workouts I actually look forward to them)

As previous posters mentioned if you do not have good sleep habits or are stressed that can also effect your body's (lack of) weightloss

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:22 pm
[quote="amother DarkRed"]
amother Lotus wrote:
I was just talking to my friend who was very successful in IF I’m conjunction with low carb diet.
Think she lost about 100 pounds.

what is IF?

Intermittent fasting

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried intermittent fasting but couldn't do it. I am on a low carb diet. I don't want to use medications.

Why couldn’t you do it?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:41 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Yes to add to this I eat very healthy and still could not lose weight. It isonly when I started exercising 5 days a week that I saw results. ( actually thanks to imamother - on a diff thread amother posted names of online trainers and tryed out a few until I found the one trainer with online videos and an app and I love her and her workouts I actually look forward to them)

As previous posters mentioned if you do not have good sleep habits or are stressed that can also effect your body's (lack of) weightloss

Can you share the online trainers please? I'm in same boat as OP. My cholestrol has been high since I'm a teen, and I'm also overweight after having many children BH! I just want to be able to fit into my clothing nicely. I don't need to be skinny minny. I'm also frustrated after trying so so many plans. I am doing IF and eating low fat protein, lots of veggies. Low carb, and Fruit only in the morning. Can't lose the weight, I barely exercise!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:55 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Can you share the online trainers please? I'm in same boat as OP. My cholestrol has been high since I'm a teen, and I'm also overweight after having many children BH! I just want to be able to fit into my clothing nicely. I don't need to be skinny minny. I'm also frustrated after trying so so many plans. I am doing IF and eating low fat protein, lots of veggies. Low carb, and Fruit only in the morning. Can't lose the weight, I barely exercise!

Sure I love Lilly Sabri I started out with her free videos and once I saw it was a good fit I downloaded the app.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:56 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
Sure I love Lilly Sabri I started out with her free videos and once I saw it was a good fit I downloaded the app.

Thank you!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise