Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Hobby suggestions

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:12 pm
My 13 year old dd is looking for a hobby something she can do in her spare time . I don’t have extra $$$ to pay for lessons of any kind . She’s not really interested in baking /cooking which I thought would be good . Any good ideas I can buy her something to do. But looking for ideas I am thinking of maybe paint by number or something all ideas welcome

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:20 pm
Music? If can get the keyboard, Bassline pro has lessons that are 14 or less per lesson…

Can get step by step painting and drawing books from the library and canvas and paints and work like that.
If you’re comfortable with online or can whitelist Shutterfly, can have her make your family photobook. Lots of fun and they have a lot of sales, so you can get the book for pretty cheap or potentially free at the end.
Can get yarn and knitting needles or crochet hooks and get books or tutorials and get into knitting.
Can get into needlepoint? Can make a needlepoint tefillin bag for a brother…

Succah star or other very involved succah art.

Scrapbooking. Photos, michaels coupons, scrapbook, bunch of scrapbooking books for ideas from library.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:01 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Music? If can get the keyboard, Bassline pro has lessons that are 14 or less per lesson…

Can get step by step painting and drawing books from the library and canvas and paints and work like that.
If you’re comfortable with online or can whitelist Shutterfly, can have her make your family photobook. Lots of fun and they have a lot of sales, so you can get the book for pretty cheap or potentially free at the end.
Can get yarn and knitting needles or crochet hooks and get books or tutorials and get into knitting.
Can get into needlepoint? Can make a needlepoint tefillin bag for a brother…

Succah star or other very involved succah art.

Scrapbooking. Photos, michaels coupons, scrapbook, bunch of scrapbooking books for ideas from library.

She loves music has some Instruments that were gifted Learned a few things from different family members and self Taught I wish I can give her lessons but don’t seem like that can happen
She is trying to lessen her screen time

Needlepoint sound good but Do you need someone to teach you the stitches?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
She loves music has some Instruments that were gifted Learned a few things from different family members and self Taught I wish I can give her lessons but don’t seem like that can happen

Lots or girls are into crochet lately you can learn the stitches online (or book) and print out patterns from etsy.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:

Needlepoint is great but it is an expensive hobby! Crocheting is much more affordable. I learnt how from YouTube

TCFrenk

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 6:02 pm
Just throwing this out sewing. She will need lots of help in the beginning but its a great thing to learn. Sewing machines are cheap these days.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:38 am
My daughter said She would be interested in trying needlepoint anyone know a good stater set something small

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:45 am
amother OP wrote:
My daughter said She would be interested in trying needlepoint anyone know a good stater set something small

Amazon has

Simple1

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:48 am
amother OP wrote:

I found Bassline to be minimal screen time. The videos are short. It's mostly about practice.

For needlepoint, you, can try a store like Michael's. While you're there you might see other kits she likes. I would just stay away from "cheesey" kits that are hyped up to be more than they are.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:21 pm
My 14 year old DD taught herself to crochet via YouTube. She's made scarves, hats, socks, sweaters, and is now working on a blanket and a small backpack. We bought her yarn to begin with, but it gets expensive quickly so now she asks for yarn for presents. If her friends want her to make something for them then they provide the yarn unless she's making it for them as a present. Last Chanukah DD got a subscription here from her grandparents and she's been learning all sorts of new stitches: https://www.annieskitclubs.com/

DD is also learning a new language using Duolingo and she tutors to earn money. She took up running for exercise in camp this summer and kept it up until the clock changed and it gets dark so early. She's also been doing some cooking/baking, mostly experimenting on muffins and scones to bring to school for snack and yummy grain bowls for lunches.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:36 pm
I'm not sure if your into this, but you can let her learn a skill that can help her do something she loves by earning money.
for example, creating photo books. many people pay to have someone print them a photo book from an Upsherin, Bar Mitzvah, Family trip, Family yearbook etc. she can play around and teach herself how to navigate sites like shutterfly, ask some people for there recent photo books to get ideas, practice with your family photos and get started. cost for printing is between $25-$75 and you can charge allot more then that ($150-$350)
or she can learn to become a makeup artist. learn on youtube practice in the mirror or with freinds.
she can learn how to do hair cutting and hair styling that way as well.
another idea is learning how to do custom printing on t-shirts, caps, phone cases etc. equipment is not expensive ($100-$300) and it can be earned back.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:23 pm
There are lots of beginner level embroidery/needlepoint kits you can buy that include everything needed to complete them. Something like this would be a good start, and includes clear directions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image

If she gets more into it there are all kinds of books to learn more advanced stitches, and she can buy kits at all levels of complexity, or start designing her own projects.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 8:43 pm
If she good with her hands doing detailed work, my daughter is working on a dollhouse with tons of tiny accessories and adorabledetails. We bought in Hobby Lobby. Comes very neatly and clearly packaged and labeled. My daughter is loving it, and so far its taken a few weeks already! They have big and small sets. We bought the Merriment Mansion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children