Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Boys Watching cheerleaders on the at football game
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:29 pm
Is it ok for boys (Lakewood type Yeshiva affiliated) to watch the cheerleaders at the halftime show? If we are at family, cannot switch the channel, and the kid (age 9) is watching the game, should I tell him that at the halftime show he might want to do something else until the game comes back on?

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:32 pm
Absolutely not acceptable! Watch some old ones and decide for yourself if you don’t believe me.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it ok for boys (Lakewood type Yeshiva affiliated) to watch the cheerleaders at the halftime show?

No

amother OP wrote:
If we are at family, cannot switch the channel, and the kid (age 9) is watching the game, should I tell him that at the halftime show he might want to do something else until the game comes back on?

Yes

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:39 pm
I would never allow it. And not might want to it would not be an option.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:58 pm
Is it appropriate? No
Will u find plenty of Lakewood boys watching football games? Uh yes.
Pple on imamother can be so naive

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it ok for boys (Lakewood type Yeshiva affiliated) to watch the cheerleaders at the halftime show? If we are at family, cannot switch the channel, and the kid (age 9) is watching the game, should I tell him that at the halftime show he might want to do something else until the game comes back on?

How is this even a question? Why would a parent willingly expose their children to that?

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:01 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Is it appropriate? No
Will u find plenty of Lakewood boys watching football games? Uh yes.
Pple on imamother can be so naive

It's one thing for boys to watch behind their parents back. (Which are not the 9 year old boys.) It's something else when parents expose their children to it. Watching the game is ok. The half time show, inappropriate.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:02 pm
Perhaps you can arrange a halftime activity ahead of time.

In my community some men use halftime to deliver a dvar Torah.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:03 pm
We are MO and do not allow our boys to watch any halftime show, nor do we watch it ourselves. And we otherwise quite enjoy football, but most halftime shows are total schmutz.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:04 pm
100% inappropriate. Some might even say, playing with fire.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:09 pm
My family has the football game on when we go. I cannot ask them not to. At most I can explain to my son that the cheerleader halftime part is not tznius.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:10 pm
I take it that OP's family where they are visiting are not on the same madreiga and that there are other adult family males who will be watching. That's a tough situation for a boy!

Yes, worth talking to him about how "we don't do that."

But if it's upsetting to him, don't pressure too hard. Pick your battles.

ETA: Cross posted with OP, sorry.Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:11 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I would never allow it. And not might want to it would not be an option.

Tonight what I said was “this part is not really tznius, so how about check back in a few minutes to see if the game started again?”
I think that went over better than making and demands. He listened to my advice right away.

Posted here to see if that was the right move.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Tonight what I said was “this part is not really tznius, so how about check back in a few minutes to see if the game started again?”
I think that went over better than making and demands. He listened to my advice right away.

Posted here to see if that was the right move.

If it's not tzenuis for him, it's not tzenuis for you, your husband, and the rest of your kids. Instead of sending him away, you should all leave. Be his role models. Send him the right message.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:22 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
If it's not tzenuis for him, it's not tzenuis for you, your husband, and the rest of your kids. Instead of sending him away, you should all leave. Be his role models. Send him the right message.

None of us were watching Smile
Only ds, with the rest of my extended family (who are not Lakewood chareidi)

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
None of us were watching Smile
Only ds, with the rest of my extended family (who are not Lakewood chareidi)

Previous halftime shows have had suggestive moves, racy outfits, and even stripper poles with racy dancing, performers rubbing their crotches, and suggestively wriggling their behinds. How can anyone think that they can expose their son to it and expect him to go back to yeshiva the same way he left it?

If the family was having a dope and heroine party you would probably explain to him that it’s not for him. You would most definitely not let him join in. This really should not be a question, especially in Lakewood.

This directly leads into the other thread:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....91573

Sorry I’m not for schools blanket rejecting “types” that aren’t the old Lakewood, but when schools balk at taking in kids of transplants from other communities they do have some genuine concerns. Two or three kids going over the more racy points of the halftime show by recess can be a negative influence on the whole class.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:41 pm
Everyone is saying not to watch (which I agree) and yet somehow everyone seems to know what's so bad about it and is able to describe it in detail. Hmmm interesting.

kol hakovod to you op, I'm sure it wasn't easy to set this standard when other family members are watching.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:56 pm
It’s not the Super Bowl so it’s not a halftime show like that.

I mean it sure wasn’t tznius from the few seconds I watched but it wasn’t racy like the super bowl is

Oh and my family is the old Lakewood. The actual old Lakewood. Like we were here in the 1950s (and helped build the schools and shuls here)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:59 pm
Melon your post in the other thread really hurt me. And you’re way off base and out of line. I spend time with my family at the advice of my learned yeshivish Lakewood Rav despite our different hashkafic standards.

amother
Mimosa

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
And melon may I ask how you know these details? Are you a transplant or did you watch a halftime show?

I’m not her but while I personally never watched sports or a halftime show I’ve definitely read news articles and seen pictures of some in the news as an adult.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children