Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can some people not lose weight no matter how hard they try?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:55 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Are you making sure you’re not consuming too many calories? There are calculators online to see how many calories you should eat to lose weight. The only way to lose weight is to have a calorie deficit.

If you eat the same thing everyday, I would suggest just eating less. That will create a calorie deficit.
I probably eat too few calories.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:56 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
Definitely consider becoming more physically active. Like walking more, using the stairs, not sitting at a desk for hours (get a standing desk for example), and upping your excercise. Take walks or jogs during lunch breaks. Buy a set of weights and use them for a few minutes a day. Hold a plank for a couple of minutes a night. Commit to 30 sit ups and push ups every day. That sort of thing can make all the difference.
That's a lot harder than eating less but I will try small steps.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:57 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Why couldn’t you do it?
Didn't feel good.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:09 pm
I've just started working with a chiropractor who does all kinds of testing. He thinks my hormones are off and well as Omega 6 & alpha-lipoic acid. I forget which, but he said some of those things can be stopping me from losing weight.

(I did lose about 25 or 30 lbs just doing low carb, then stalled for quite some time. But I persisted and now seems to slowly be moving again.)

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:13 pm
Following

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:16 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
if you're really physically active it will help a lot. I don't mean 'going to the gym' a couple of times a week and schmoozing, I mean committing to a serious program of excercise (biking, jogging, or whatever) several times a week and making that a real, lifelong committment. I know very few people who do that and who are legitimately overweight.

Meet me.
I exercise with a trainer 4 times a week and am very overweight.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:17 pm
Ima_Shelli wrote:
if you're really physically active it will help a lot. I don't mean 'going to the gym' a couple of times a week and schmoozing, I mean committing to a serious program of excercise (biking, jogging, or whatever) several times a week and making that a real, lifelong committment. I know very few people who do that and who are legitimately overweight.

I know plenty of people who are overweight and do this amount of committed activity. It is a lie to say that everyone can change their body to be a size 4, 6, or 8.

This ridiculous lie causes so many women to feel like failures when in fact their bodies look just the way they are supposed to look. Robbing them of their confidence and happiness in life.

And to the poster who’s doctor said that thing about the Holocaust: so he wants people to get refeeding syndrome and die if they every start to eat again, and lose their fertility and hair, and have tremendously bloated stomached and constipation? Yea that make sense. Most people died in the Holocaust. They were on a starvation diet. That is why they lost weight.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:26 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
I know plenty of people who are overweight and do this amount of committed activity. It is a lie to say that everyone can change their body to be a size 4, 6, or 8.

This ridiculous lie causes so many women to feel like failures when in fact their bodies look just the way they are supposed to look. Robbing them of their confidence and happiness in life.

And to the poster who’s doctor said that thing about the Holocaust: so he wants people to get refeeding syndrome and die if they every start to eat again, and lose their fertility and hair, and have tremendously bloated stomached and constipation? Yea that make sense. Most people died in the Holocaust. They were on a starvation diet. That is why they lost weight.
The point wasn’t that she should starve herself. The point was that it’s a myth that some people are just wired to be fat. Crudely illustrated of course.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:31 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
The point wasn’t that she should starve herself. The point was that it’s a myth that some people are just wired to be fat. Crudely illustrated of course.

It’s not a myth though. People have different genetics and it’s not possible for some people to become “thin” in a healthy way (without starving themselves or surgery)

Ima_Shelli

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:55 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:

Apologies, I didn’t mean to cause you pain. Obviously my view is simplistic and doesn’t apply to all.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:22 am
following

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:29 am
amother Orchid wrote:
oh wow! I did the sleeve 3 weeks ago. How far out are you? How much did you manage to lose?

Im short I was about 80lb overweight and now I’m up to 65 lbs lost bh! I look great bh if I say so myself wearing a size small if I could lose the last 15 would be amazing I’m only a year out….

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:34 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

It is not a myth…
The same way some ppl have blue eyes and some have brown, some people will be genetically wired to be heavier even though they eat way healthier and excersize more than their skinnier friends!
If both ur parents are short u will probably be short!
I’m saying this as a fat person from a fat family we’re we’ve all been on Amazing diets and to all nutritionists and trainers and guess what we’re still fat….I did the sleeve and so did my mom and sis and that’s how we got passed the overweightness but that’s after a lot a lot of diet trying

amother
Oatmeal

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 1:39 am
I did the sleeve almost a year ago wanted to lose 65 lbs I lost around 30 lbs. Lost very slowly in the beginning and have been stalling since like pesach. I've been exercising and drinking water eating healthy and the scale won't budge. Happy I lost the 30 lbs but wish I can figure out how to lose more. I don't want to take medicine...

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 1:46 am
It's not a matter of how hard you're trying. The body protects itself by fighting back. Most people, once they heal, are able to reach whatever's a healthy weight for them, but ironically, this is usually accomplished by not trying. Eat healthy and gradually increase your exercise.

Reality

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 2:00 am
About the holocaust, I remember reading a memoir from a woman who wrote how she really struggled with her weight before the war. She wrote about how she would do these spa treatments and go bike riding and diet but she couldn't lose weight.

When she was on a death march at the end of the war she was not as skinny as the other girls. When they would have a break, some of her friends were crying they were so cold, they can't go on. She sat on her friends legs to warm them up and saved their lives.

So what that doctor said was not only beyond disgusting, it wasn't true. Most people are too embarrassed to write what this brave woman wrote about herself. The shame around weight is just too great to expose ones self.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 2:19 am
People have literally starved to death before reaching the thin stage some people seem to idolize.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 4:39 am
Ask any dr who specializes in metabolism.

It is a scientific fact that what may work for most does not work for everyone. No need for self blame and/or shame.

Can be due to genetics, slow metabolism, insulin resistance, thyroid issue, hormones etc.
Sometimes it really is NOT about "trying harder".

Finding the key can really be the trick. Though not always so simple to do so. For some low carb high protein works, for some high carbs and low fat, etc. Sometimes different strategies work for different people at different times.
In these cases it is not generally a matter of less calories and/or more exercise...

Health and happiness to all!

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 6:54 am
Ima_Shelli wrote:
Kudos to you! It’s just an observation that any one of my friends who are very actively physically fit (and my non frum colleagues in particular are very into physical fitness, like running marathons etc) are generally not significantly overweight. Of course there are exceptions to that and heavy excercisers come in all body types, and health and beauty are very possible at every size. But I do think that most people I know who are lifelong excercisers tend to be a certain way, that’s all. I know my body significantly changed when I made a lifelong commitment to excercise about ten years ago and I have kept it up through pregnancies, nursing, busy periods of life, etc and it is legitimately what keeps me at the size I am without needing to count calories (I was never good at that). But everyone needs to do what works for them, their bodies, and their health.

May you be able to keep your health and fitness for many many years!

I have run five full marathons while overweight. It is harder to run as an overweight person vs a skinny minny. A lifelong commitment is good though regardless of your size. Better than fad diets.

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 7:21 am
amother OP wrote:
I drink a lot of water much more than 8 cups. I eat protein at every meal. I sleep ok. How much fat intake?

The key is to eat so that you don't crave food. Healthy fats like avocado and salmon (omega 3) will fill you up. Each time you eat try for something with some protein and good fat, complex carbs. It's not about how much of each, it's a balanced diet and not waiting until you are famished or stuffing yourself. The concept is mindful eating. Fat makes food taste better. Nuts are a good fat. Olive oil is a good fat. As little dairy as possible. Lots of fruits and vegetables. Vegetables are very filling and fiber not only keeps you full longer but helps your digestive system. I have made a few vegetarian dishes and they can be quite fun.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise