Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
A mop that actually cleans gook from the floor?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:17 pm
I sit there scratching off gook with my nails as my mop won’t remove it no matter how hard I try.
Any ideas

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 02 2023, 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Olive

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:27 pm
Na time to give up. I think I tried them all...

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:53 pm
Forward wrote:
I sit there scratching off gook with my nails as my mop won’t remove it no matter how hard I try.
Any ideas

I have with sponge on one aide and hard bristles on the other which scrub.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:54 pm
Forward wrote:
Any ideas

Can’t IMagine why your post was reported!
Some people… Can't Believe It

sotired3

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:57 pm
Not a mop suggestion, but fill a bucket with water, add a spoonful of powdered tide, and mop your floor with that. It’s magical, the best cleaning tip I ever got

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:07 pm
If you pour boiling water on the spots, they come right off
Or maybe you can try a steam mop?

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:11 pm
A steam mop worked for me. Of course it depends on what the gook is because some gook might be solid like tar whereas other gook is dried up food which can soften.

I had some raisins which had become squashed and neglected and were solidly adhered to the floor. With the steam mop, I let it sit in the gook for a few seconds and it completely lately softened so it mopped right off. My steam mop has a scrubby sided pad. Steam mops are great because the pads are washable and you only need distilled water which is cheaper than detergent and they clean so well with no need to rinse

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:28 pm
sotired3 wrote:
Not a mop suggestion, but fill a bucket with water, add a spoonful of powdered tide, and mop your floor with that. It’s magical, the best cleaning tip I ever got

I do this too. Also, make sure the water is very hot. Grime just melts away.

mfb

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:58 pm
sotired3 wrote:

For what kind of floors? And only powdered tide? Does any other detergent work?

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:11 pm
I don't find anything that can clean the grout around my kitchen tiles perfectly. Aside from using a hard bristled brush and scrubbing on my hands and knees, I found using a steam mop and immediately wiping over the area in a microfiber rag to do a decent job.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:31 pm
The only thing that really cleans a floor is a good sponga.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:53 pm
I have the Libman No Knees Floor Scrubber. It has a long handle and the bristles are stiff enough to really clean the floor.

We also use a putty knife to scrape off the stuck gunk.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:59 pm
Forward wrote:
Any ideas

check out the sweep easy broom.

It has a scraper piece

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:07 pm
Forward wrote:
Any ideas

If it's a stone floor that can handle scrubbing, it sounds like a long handled scrub brush before mopping could be useful.
https://www.amazon.com/YONILL-.....psc=1

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:33 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's a stone floor that can handle scrubbing, it sounds like a long handled scrub brush before mopping could be useful.
https://www.amazon.com/YONILL-.....psc=1

Omg duh! Thank you for posting what should be obvious but for some reason I've spent all these years doing a hands and knees scrub job every couple of months. My life will be changed for the better in 3 day's shipping time 😁

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 7:44 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Omg duh! Thank you for posting what should be obvious but for some reason I've spent all these years doing a hands and knees scrub job every couple of months. My life will be changed for the better in 3 day's shipping time 😁

😃 My mom always had one, but I never really thought about it, didn't realize it was a thing to use indoors (I had seen her use it on the concrete porch). Then (years ago) my MIL showed me her $4 long handled scrub brush that she uses on her tile, and my mind was blown. Turns out my mom has one that she uses indoors every once in a while too.

samo

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:43 pm
A steamer mop!! There is nothing that it doesn’t get off. And you don’t need to put any pressure or try too hard, it just fizzles dirt away and sanitizes with the heat. Love mine.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:07 pm
ra_mom wrote:
😃 My mom always had one, but I never really thought about it, didn't realize it was a thing to use indoors (I had seen her use it on the concrete porch). Then (years ago) my MIL showed me her $4 long handled scrub brush that she uses on her tile, and my mind was blown. Turns out my mom has one that she uses indoors every once in a while too.

You mean you just use it dry to sweep?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:14 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
You mean you just use it dry to sweep?

Dip in water/cleaning solution mixture and pre-scrub floors. (Only as needed.) Then proceed with regular mopping.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 4:24 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Can’t IMagine why your post was reported!
Some people… Can't Believe It

Probably bc the word “gook” is used as a racist slur.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics