Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Should I get the flu shot for me and for my kids/baby?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:08 am
amother Honey wrote:
Curious if you ever read the side effects on antibiotics, tylenol, motrin and other OTC drugs/creams/ointments/cosmetics, and what not.

I'm just stating that making a decision about the minute chance of one of those side effects happening is like making a decision not to fly anywhere ever because of the remote chance of an airplane crash.

My point is not to advocate pro or con here. My point here is that this kind of approach is not an educated one. One needs to evaluate the full picture, which includes the pros, how it works, the benefits, the risks, and how much weight the side effects should play into a particular scenario to make an intelligent decision.

I do read all side effects, and we actually dont give tylenol or motrin in my house. I also dont use petroleum filled creams and ointments bc of the garbage that is put into them.

Like anything in life people have to approach health decisions from both sides- weighing the pros and cons like you said.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:10 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
We should never listen to our doctor ...of course we know more than them..after all .we have Google!!

Your comment is quite childish. Nowhere did I say that we don't follow doctors, but we shouldn't follow them blindly. I would think that after the fiasco of covid and the CDC the past few years people would be more receptive to not letting big pharma blind them.

Side effects are real, not rare.

amother
Dimgray

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:26 am
Quote:
We should never listen to our doctor ...of course we know more than them..after all .we have Google!!

I am listening to my doctor. She is very experienced and one of the most sought after pediatricians in the community. She does not advocate for the flu shot or Covid shot in children. She says this is really a personal decision
Every other childhood vaccine is non-negotiable by her

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:27 am
yes this

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:28 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Quote:

I am listening to my doctor. She is very experienced and one of the most sought after pediatricians in the community. She does not advocate for the flu shot or Covid shot in children. She says this is really a personal decision
Every other childhood vaccine is non-negotiable by her

right
certainly not every dr advocates for it nor for the one size fits all approach advocated by some

B"H we can pick our doctors and thankful for when we find excellent ones who are a good fit

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:37 am
amother Anemone wrote:
I do read all side effects, and we actually dont give tylenol or motrin in my house. I also dont use petroleum filled creams and ointments bc of the garbage that is put into them.

Like anything in life people have to approach health decisions from both sides- weighing the pros and cons like you said.

So in that case, if you're trying to give people your perspective on these things, I think its only fair to put in a disclaimer that you're of the mindset that tylenol / motrin & OTC drugs is not to be taken as well.

Otherwise, you're providing misdirection. The average person is ok with tylenol and motrin and OTC drugs. If someone feels that even those are inappropriate for use, then that provides context for the rest of their perspectives. These are medical decision, and its important for people to have ALL information. Just throwing things out in a vacuum without proper disclosure is disingenuous and misleading.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:44 am
amother Honey wrote:
So in that case, if you're trying to give people your perspective on these things, I think its only fair to put in a disclaimer that you're of the mindset that tylenol / motrin & OTC drugs is not to be taken as well.

Otherwise, you're providing misdirection. The average person is ok with tylenol and motrin and OTC drugs. If someone feels that even those are inappropriate for use, then that provides context for the rest of their perspectives. These are medical decision, and its important for people to have ALL information. Just throwing things out in a vacuum without proper disclosure is disingenuous and misleading.

So before every opinion I give I have to give a disclaimer?
How is it misleading to state to OP to look up side effects of the vaccine? Lol that makes no sense to me.

Op is a big girl, she can speak to her pediatrician and check up on the CDC website the pros and cons like you mentioned above to learn more about what she is putting into her body. Nothing inherently wrong with informed consent.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:44 am
Um no honey that does not undermine her argument

Everyone is entitled to her opinion

No one needs to give a dossier

Misdirection? What is this Twitter censorship pre musk?

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:48 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I'm more worried about RSV than about flu. One of my babies was in the ICU for a few days because of RSV, and so was my newborn nephew.

But there's no vaccine for RSV, and nobody worries about it too much. So I don't worry about the flu either.

Interestingly a cousin same age and size as my child had RSV at the same time (I think exposed in the same place), my baby was in the ICU, theirs was just regular sick. That also makes me feel like regular hishtadlus is enough (sleep, food, sunshine, handwashing) and I don't stress too much.

My baby is super new, and super small, and I’m terrified of RSV. The flu scares me too, but for some reason not as much.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:52 am
amother Anemone wrote:
How is it misleading to state to OP to look up side effects of the vaccine? Lol that makes no sense to me.

Op is a big girl, she can speak to her pediatrician and check up on the CDC website the pros and cons like you mentioned above to learn more about what she is putting into her body. Nothing inherently wrong with informed consent.

Because to put it frankly, if you're a health-nut and/or natural-minded to the extreme*, then your words hold much less weight than coming from someone who has a proper balance in life.

*(someone who doesn't take tylenol/motrin or use the basic OTC medical supplies is in the extreme bracket).

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:55 am
amother Green wrote:

Of course it does. Simply put - people who pull towards extreme tend to have extreme opinions about the other side. Their research and viewpoints tend to have heavy bias and there's little objectiveness.

The author of information is a critical piece of information in every opinion.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:56 am
amother Anemone wrote:

100%! But if a person who has extreme views (as compared to society) doesn't inform the person of her views prior to offering advice, then that is the opposite of informed consent.

amother
Topaz

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you. You're right. I just looked it up and it says 6 months and up....

If you nurse and get vaccinated you pass immunity on to her.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:04 pm
amother Green wrote:

Or to rephase my response:

Just like you wouldn't go to pharmaceutical company to ask their opinion about a vaccine, you wouldn't go to a natural-minded, health nut type of person to ask their opinion about the vaccine either. You know their response beforehand - you know that they'll never be truly objective.

So just like its unethical if a CEO of a pharmaceutical company offers medical advice without disclosing his stake in the company, it's equally unethical for an extreme natural-minded, health-nut person to not disclose her mindset.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:15 pm
I am not an anti vaxxer

My child got a serious autoimmune reaction to the flu shot and the flu shot only. Her forehead blew up, her face was distorted for a couple of weeks, she got a full blown skin condition that we were unable to heal help or fix for almost a full year!

I've since learned that ppl with specific genes (Mthfr) react badly to the flu shot specifically...

I overheard the head nurse at our pediatrician say she would never give the flu shot to her kids. To Me that helps me say with strength, No I'm never giving it again BL'N

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:35 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Because to put it frankly, if you're a health-nut and/or natural-minded to the extreme*, then your words hold much less weight than coming from someone who has a proper balance in life.

*(someone who doesn't take tylenol/motrin or use the basic OTC medical supplies is in the extreme bracket).

I'm a health nut because I research what I use in my family and decided to weigh the pros and cons for our lifestyle? Acetaminophen toxicity can cause liver failure in children. There are other remedies we use in my home that don't contain food dye. When we have to utilize antibiotics if natural remedies don't work, we will. I think thats a pretty healthy balance to use natural methods first before using gut disrupting toxins... I wouldn't call that extreme.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:52 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
I'm a health nut because I research what I use in my family and decided to weigh the pros and cons for our lifestyle? Acetaminophen toxicity can cause liver failure in children. There are other remedies we use in my home that don't contain food dye. When we have to utilize antibiotics if natural remedies don't work, we will. I think thats a pretty healthy balance to use natural methods first before using gut disrupting toxins... I wouldn't call that extreme.

Obviously a person who is in the extreme bracket wouldn't consider themselves extreme Smile.

Acetaminophen toxicity can affect anyone - children and adults. Hence the reason they provide dosages per weight on the box. If you follow instructions as provided, toxicity is not a cause for any concern. FYI - anything done beyond its limit can be toxic. Vitamins in inappropriate amounts can be toxic too, as well as too much of any one thing. So it's rather that proper care and guidance should be instituted than completely eliminating something from one's life just because of a rare remote possibility.

This circles right back to my original statement. Such kind of thoughts processes are comparable to people never going on an airplane because of the remote possibility of crashing. So yeah, these are extreme positions.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:58 pm
Per my pediatrician, the flu shot is extremely ineffective this year. The health dept agreed, but wants the dr.'s office to keep pushing people to take it so that when it is effective, people will "be used to taking it".

Shows who we're dealing with.

But please, sheep. Don't let me stop you from taking it!

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 12:58 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Obviously a person who is in the extreme bracket wouldn't consider themselves extreme Smile.

Acetaminophen toxicity can affect anyone - children and adults. Hence the reason they provide dosages per weight on the box. If you follow instructions as provided, toxicity is not a cause for any concern. FYI - anything done beyond its limit can be toxic. Vitamins in inappropriate amounts can be toxic too, as well as too much of any one thing. So it's rather that proper care and guidance should be instituted than completely eliminating something from one's life just because of a rare remote possibility.

This circles right back to my original statement. Such kind of thoughts processes are comparable to people never going on an airplane because of the remote possibility of crashing. So yeah, these are extreme positions.

To each their own.

OP should sit down with her pediatrician if she follows his word and guidance and ask him his thoughts on the pros and cons of the side effects. Hatzlacha OP. Many posters have given you helpful advice to begin your journey for knowledge.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 1:01 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
To each their own.

OP should sit down with her pediatrician if she follows his word and guidance and ask him his thoughts on the pros and cons of the side effects. Hatzlacha OP. Many posters have given you helpful advice to begin your journey for knowledge.

Of course - who said otherwise. My points are about disclosing one's position before giving medical advice to strangers. Context of who provides advice is critical to the advice. It matters if advice comes from a pharmaceutical CEO, or conversely a health-nut.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics