Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why are kids not in school
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:29 pm
In every community there are kids not in school. What are some of the reasons?

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:39 pm
Today? In general? What do you mean? Kids out sick? Kids being homeschooled? Really not understanding this question.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:49 pm
Kids who are home because schools won't take them.

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:50 pm
There’s a shortage of schools.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:51 pm
Often it's because a community has grown beyond the number of seats in its schools. Sometimes because the parents want a specific school that doesn't have space for the child or doesn't think the family is a good match for a school.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:52 pm
Where do you see this? The kids I know out of school have needs that the school can’t accommodate but don’t really want to go to public school.

amother
Wandflower

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 4:05 pm
I do not believe this is the case in my community. There are kids who are not in their first choice school, but everyone has a school.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 4:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Kids who are home because schools won't take them.

This is not a thing in my community. Thank G-d. What a tragedy. What is being done about it?

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 1:44 pm
I don't know any kids like this apart from when the parents are insisting on one specific school and have a place elsewhere which they don't want to take or (in one case I know) the parents are refusing to medicate (with a proper diagnosis and recommendations from a psychiatrist) and the school cannot responsibly keep the child safe.

OP why do you think this is everywhere?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 6:24 pm
I was being vague on purpose.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 6:29 pm
The kids I know that are out of school is either because the parents insist on 1 specific school and won't budge, or the kid has issues that schools can't accommodate but the parents are in denial, or families that moved to a new community without having a school first and are now having a hard time placing their kids.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 6:36 pm
I know a few kids who didn't get into mainstream schools because of extensive learning/ behavior needs, and parents either can't ($) or won't send them to special schools

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 6:54 pm
I know two kids who weren't in school as of the beginning of this year.

One has learning and emotional problems. The mainstream schools can't meet their needs, the schools that could meet the learning needs won't take on the emotional needs, etc.

One was caught with a substance that they shouldn't have been using. The only schools that will take them now are ones whose kids tend to have a lot of other problems that they don't want to get involved with. So they had to pull a lot of strings, wait for the school year to settle down, and get their blood cleared out of substances before they could go to school.

I do not know anyone who started the year without a school for no reason.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 7:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was being vague on purpose.

You said in every community.

You got your answer.
This is not in every community.

I'm not sure what you gain by being vague.
From this thread you can see that in 99% of communities kids are not out of school unless either the parents are refusing the place they are offered or there is a medical/learning/emotional reason why they cannot be there.

If you have a specific question about a specific place, being vague isn't going to get you the answers you are looking for.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:02 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
The kids I know that are out of school is either because the parents insist on 1 specific school and won't budge, or the kid has issues that schools can't accommodate but the parents are in denial, or families that moved to a new community without having a school first and are now having a hard time placing their kids.

I agree, but sometimes the community decided that the family should go to one specific school (that would accept them). But the parents feel that it's totally not in line with their hashkafa and it's not where they want to send their child.
Other schools feels like it's not their responsibility because they have that one place that would take them.
It's very painful for parent to feel like they don't have a choice in their child's chinuch!

I don't have a solution. But I've heard this many times. "let them go to xyz, it's where they belong." or "they have a place, they just don't want to send there..."

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:03 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
I know two kids who weren't in school as of the beginning of this year.

One has learning and emotional problems. The mainstream schools can't meet their needs, the schools that could meet the learning needs won't take on the emotional needs, etc.

One was caught with a substance that they shouldn't have been using. The only schools that will take them now are ones whose kids tend to have a lot of other problems that they don't want to get involved with. So they had to pull a lot of strings, wait for the school year to settle down, and get their blood cleared out of substances before they could go to school.

I do not know anyone who started the year without a school for no reason.

Thanks for your honest response. I'm sorry for what you are going through.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:10 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I agree, but sometimes the community decided that the family should go to one specific school (that would accept them). But the parents feel that it's totally not in line with their hashkafa and it's not where they want to send their child.
Other schools feels like it's not their responsibility because they have that one place that would take them.
It's very painful for parent to feel like they don't have a choice in their child's chinuch!

I don't have a solution. But I've heard this many times. "let them go to xyz, it's where they belong." or "they have a place, they just don't want to send there..."

This isn't what I meant at all. I literally meant what I said. That parents are adamant on 1 specific school and refuse to budge.
(That said, I understand schools for not wanting to accept a family that belongs to a specific sect but doesn't want to send to the schools affiliated with their sect. They have a school to send to. They just don't want to. It's not other schools problem.)

amother
Watermelon

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:28 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:

If they lived oot they likely wouldn’t have a choice of schools either because there’s only 1 school to send to. I think as long as they are accepted in a school the community has done their part.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:52 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
This isn't what I meant at all. I literally meant what I said. That parents are adamant on 1 specific school and refuse to budge.
(That said, I understand schools for not wanting to accept a family that belongs to a specific sect but doesn't want to send to the schools affiliated with their sect. They have a school to send to. They just don't want to. It's not other schools problem.)

I know it's not what you meant. I said I agree with you, but added another point.

What your saying about being affiliated... I know someone who is affiliated with a sect that would take her child. It's not the right fit for her. She can say it tell she's blue in the face. I'm not saying it's the other schools problem, but they should consider her. She might fit in well with another school. She went to the school where her family "belongs" to. It has huge classes, no opportunity to shine, they only value on particular personality trait.... She just doesn't want to send there!! But no one else is looking in her direction "because you have a place" no one is giving her an interview or taking a glance at her application.
Yes, it is painful to want set up your home and discuss what you want for your kids and then realize that you don't even have a choice.
Again, no solutions here, but many problems...

amother
Begonia

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:54 pm
There is a large group of home school families in my neighborhood. Some did it because it's their thing, some did it because tuition is high (they didn't even approach the schools for breaks, etc), many do it because they don't vaccinate so they can't get accepted to the schools. None do it because they didn't get accepted to a local school for anything other than vaccinations.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics