Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Growth Curve Serial in Mishpacha
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:08 pm
I happen to really like the serial. It's well written, interesting, and not too overdone or cliched. But the serial is getting lots of hate in the Mishpacha inbox - not so much for the writing but for the fact that it takes place in Ramat Eshkol. People are venting about the young 'boujee' couples taking over their neighborhood. What do people think about the serial and about all the hate it's getting?

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:09 pm
Like the serial or not
The hate is beyond absurd and disturbing

cupcake123

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:22 pm
It's the 1st thing I turn to every week. I love it !

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:25 pm
People who write letters to magazines about storylines and fictional characters need to find more productive things to do with their time like talking to abandoned house plants, or something equally useful. Seriously. Who cares?

About 15+ years ago, there was a different serial in the Mishpacha, and someone wrote in, "You are portraying the couples in my neighborhood in a very negative light. In fact, my parents have stopped supporting us because of your serial." (or something along those lines). The author responded along the lines of: "I'm sorry that your parents have stopped supporting you, but the fact that someone is making decisions based on a fictional story in a magazine is really ridiculous."

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:26 pm
I can't believe they are married with 3 kids and didn't learn basic communication.

She literally only cares to be the best couple without the least bit of talking it out with her husband.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:27 pm
As someone who lived in a northern yerushalayim neighborhood bordering ramat eshkol, I also thought the letters written in were ridiculous.

RE is a mix. Just like any other neighborhood.

Both types of couples portrayed in the story can be found in RE.
(The husband and wife"perfect couple" drive me crazy personally!!!)

It is not INSULTING your children who lived there to write about more with it cool couples that live in the same neighborhood. Your kids have seen their neighbors... Can't Believe It

The author is probably familiar with that area, and it's easier to write about what you know and be more authentic.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I happen to really like the serial. It's well written, interesting, and not too overdone or cliched. But the serial is getting lots of hate in the Mishpacha inbox - not so much for the writing but for the fact that it takes place in Ramat Eshkol.
    People are venting about the young 'boujee' couples taking over their neighborhood
. What do people think about the serial and about all the hate it's getting?

I lived near there 10 years ago and RE was NEVER the most yeshivish area! Nothing new.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:34 pm
I love it, it feels so authentic. I’m cringing for Tziporah and Benny

momallhours

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:54 pm
Not my favorite Mishpacha serial. The writing is real but honestly the "issues" were all laid out on the table in Chapter 1 and now we are just waiting to see how it will tie up in a neat bow.

I wish it would have had a bit more of a storyline to it not just "Perfect Couple" trying to figure out their marriage and life in RE.

amother
Marigold

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:03 pm
I'm really enjoying it!
Great job!
I do feel sorry for Tzippora who is so supportive of her husband and is ending up the loser here.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 7:04 pm
The letters to the editor felt very immature. Really? You're insulted that someone wrote a fictional story about fictional people?

I'm more annoyed that Dov Haller consistently writes women who are either flat, or vapid and non-intelligent, but you don't see me writing letters to the editor, because I am adult enough to realize that works of fiction come from authors' imaginations and doesn't necessarily reflect reality, and if I don't like it then I can skip it.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 6:40 am
I would just like to know who in their right mind thinks that throwing a lavish melava malka for your talmidim and then begging them to pay your rent for the next..what, months? years?... is normal and appropriate, not to mention effective.

I know it's fiction but I was cringing. And the author seems to think that it was, if not a good idea, at least something not totally and completely idiotic, because Tzippora's only problem seemed to be that the MM was costing a lot of money and might not work in the end. Not that the whole idea screams "socially off and weird."

cupcake123

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 6:43 am
amother Yolk wrote:
I would just like to know who in their right mind thinks that throwing a lavish melava malka for your talmidim and then begging them to pay your rent for the next..what, months? years?... is normal and appropriate, not to mention effective.

I know it's fiction but I was cringing. And the author seems to think that it was, if not a good idea, at least something not totally and completely idiotic, because Tzippora's only problem seemed to be that the MM was costing a lot of money and might not work in the end. Not that the whole idea screams "socially off and weird."

That's what I like about the whole story thats its one big cringe. But it's like an addictive cringe lol I can't stop reading

amother
Red

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 6:48 am
amother Yolk wrote:

I thought that was the point. For the reader to recognize that it's off, and the wife as well, there were hints that she did, but that she didn't say anything because she was so busy being the model wife and supporting whatever he did.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 8:31 am
He's also bringing up certain topics and wearing certain clothing and shoes just to show his boys that he's with it and cool and up to date on their topics and they look at him as weird so that's also cringe worthy.

Chaya123

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 8:32 am
I didn't read this week's yet but couldn't fall asleep last week worrying about where he disappeared to and when he's coming home and how she's managing and not totally hysterical yet.

TravelHearter

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 7:26 pm
I love the serial! I was a Shana Rishona couple in that area myself, and I find it to be a very interesting read. The melave malka part was so humiliating for them I could barely read it.
At the end of the day, it’s easier for us to see the cringy/wrong things as an outsider but when it’s your life it’s hard to see it for what it is.

amother
Catmint

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 8:38 pm
I am loving it. My husband cones from a backround similiar to bennys. I find it very relatable. I think I am not having such a hard time reading it because my husband is in a very different place today.
So interesting to watch how surrendered wife type of relationsips can go so wrong....

amother
Heather

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 8:46 pm
Haven’t been following the serial but after reading the letters to the editor I think I’ll start…

People get offended and take thing so personally way too often these days.
Chill out!
Just because you live in RE or have kids there doesn’t mean this serial is about you or yours.
People are so uptight. Gosh.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 10:17 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
I can't believe they are married with 3 kids and didn't learn basic communication.

She literally only cares to be the best couple without the least bit of talking it out with her husband.

I'm married a lot longer than that and our communication is horrible. Not everyone learns these skills so easily.

That said, I'm having a harder time with the other current "young couple" serial, the one with the husband in law school. Their relationship seems so new and awkward, yet clearly they've been married a few years. I keep wondering what their relationship was like before the move to Chicago.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room