Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Growth Curve Serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:16 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think it's improper for others to debate someone's personal hakpados that are done for the purest of intentions and don't harm anyone else's life.

Harm is a strong word, but when hundreds of people are reading stories that consistently portray women as people with no opinion, gumption, or value, then it can quickly create a stereotype. His male characters are also frequently Lakewood-type, which makes this a bigger problem, because that city has issues as is with gender roles.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:24 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Can't Believe It
Yo, you also pay for a magazine that deliberately doesn't have photo's of women. Deliberately doesn't have romance scenes, doesn't feature anything with LGBT themes, so yea, this is that author's right as he writes for a publication that respects ones personal standards of kedusha. However, I'm curious how the poster knows this to be fact.

I think there's a difference between restrictions because of halacha and restrictions that someone added because they are narrishkeit. For example, adultery is against halacha so you won't find it in frum fiction. Not describing a woman's eye color or hair color because of tznius is narrishkeit.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:25 am
You have a choice to buy or not
I LOVE dov haller’s writings and frankly far prefer his writings to this serial growth curve
Like no comparison

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:44 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Can't Believe It
Yo, you also pay for a magazine that deliberately doesn't have photo's of women. Deliberately doesn't have romance scenes, doesn't feature anything with LGBT themes, so yea, this is that author's right as he writes for a publication that respects ones personal standards of kedusha. However, I'm curious how the poster knows this to be fact.

I read it (or saw it?) in an interview with him.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:48 am
I'm really regretting posting this as it apparently was avak lashon hora.
I have all the respect for this writer just like I appreciated Mike Pence not dining with other women. And I happen to think his writing is fantastic.

devoh

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:52 am
In the beginning I could not stand the story it sounded very stereotypical but now I am sort of sucked in and rooting for it to all work out

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:56 am
amother Chocolate wrote:
I think there's a difference between restrictions because of halacha and restrictions that someone added because they are narrishkeit. For example, adultery is against halacha so you won't find it in frum fiction. Not describing a woman's eye color or hair color because of tznius is narrishkeit.

I think you're misunderstanding. He's not saying it's not tzniusdik for someone to read about a woman's eye color. He was saying as a writer he put on himself restrictions about how he would describe them.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding. He's not saying it's not tzniusdik for someone to read about a woman's eye color. He was saying as a writer he put on himself restrictions about how he would describe them.

Thats understandable.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:10 am
While there are opinions just vote with your pocketbook and your priorities.
You don't like it don't buy it don't read it.

Please enough with the controlling cancel culture poskening for everyone...meaning for everyone else...as if.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:18 am
One of the best rules for writers is to "write about you know".

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:18 am
amother Brunette wrote:
I'm LOVING this serial and finding it very true to life, especially all her descriptions. I also started out in RE and I think the author is doing a really good job. I don't think its so crazy that he needed space but I do feel really bad for her. On the other hand- in real life I know of husbands doing way worse when they need space so...

Most people have the basic communication skills to say "hey I need some space and I'm going to go out for a couple hours"

The walking out on people, turning off your phone for hours, and completely terrifying your spouse because they have no clue if you're alive or dead and if you're okay or not is not a normal thing

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:28 am
amother SandyBrown wrote:
If I pay for a magazine that has stories that are deliberately not as good as they could be, doesn’t that impact me?

Don't buy it then Very Happy

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:50 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Most people have the basic communication skills to say "hey I need some space and I'm going to go out for a couple hours"

The walking out on people, turning off your phone for hours, and completely terrifying your spouse because they have no clue if you're alive or dead and if you're okay or not is not a normal thing

Same there is something about this serial that to me screams trying to be dramatic but completely missing the point. I honestly am shocked this quality writing passed the Mishpacha editorial board. ( unless they think low quality sells better Can't Believe It

Dov Haller, Ruti Kepler, Esther Kurtz, Leah Gebber are all in a completely different league

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:55 am
I was actually wondering if the author hit some kind of writers block, personal circumstance, or was otherwise unable to finish writing the story as planned, and they changed course to finish up the story quickly.

The beginning showed a good picture of what the issues and personalities are, and then AT THE SAME TIME the inbox got flooded with hate letters and the story took a dramatic turn, which is rushing the story to an end. I wonder if it was meant to be a longer-running serial and they needed an excuse to fast-forward, so they manufactured the original complaint letters.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:56 am
Since I am an American, not having the slightest knowledge of Ramat Eshkol, I find this story fascinating and real. The writing is excellent, giving you a clear view of "one family's ordeal" in RE. I don't think this means the entire community is like that. Why do people find it offensive?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:07 am
amother Salmon wrote:
Same there is something about this serial that to me screams trying to be dramatic but completely missing the point. I honestly am shocked this quality writing passed the Mishpacha editorial board. ( unless they think low quality sells better Can't Believe It

Dov Haller, Ruti Kepler, Esther Kurtz, Leah Gebber are all in a completely different league

Completely disagree, I think the writing is excellent.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:21 am
I'm really enjoying this serial. First thing I turn to when I open the magazine.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:43 pm
I love this serial too, and I almost never read serials! Middle-aged me relates to the young couple trying to figure things out. I read it right after the Kichels. My teens don’t relate to it the way I do. They prefer serials about shidduchim. But I remember what a challenging time it was to be a youngish couple, trying to figure out parnassah and what our role would be in the community. Of course the over the top drama is cringey, but it does keep you coming back for more!

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:09 pm
amother Salmon wrote:

I totally disagree.
I am so impressed with this serial, and the way she is building her characters.
Her descriptions are sumptuous and I find I can really "see" the scene. I don't go for the writing of all the ones you listed. But I guess, to each his own.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 2:11 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
I was actually wondering if the author hit some kind of writers block, personal circumstance, or was otherwise unable to finish writing the story as planned, and they changed course to finish up the story quickly.

The beginning showed a good picture of what the issues and personalities are, and then AT THE SAME TIME the inbox got flooded with hate letters and the story took a dramatic turn, which is rushing the story to an end. I wonder if it was meant to be a longer-running serial and they needed an excuse to fast-forward, so they manufactured the original complaint letters.

It is called a 'mini serial'
Says that under the title,
So it won't stretch as long as a regular serial
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room