Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Organ donation standards in Israel
Previous  1  2

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:45 am
As an organ recipient , I asked the questions and was told it's not halachically acceptable to donate after death. Please ask your rabbi and not Imamothers before putting your signature on anything.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:16 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
As an organ recipient , I asked the questions and was told it's not halachically acceptable to donate after death. Please ask your rabbi and not Imamothers before putting your signature on anything.

Thanks. I started this thread to ask what the standard is if I don't do or sign anything, since I just moved here and don't know. In the US it was explained to me ad nauseum every time I had a major surgery or illness requiring hospitalization.

ETA: I want to know what the law is in Israel if someone dies at a hospital and has usable organs, but never specified their wishes. It wasn't a thread about what my wishes should be.

essie14

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:20 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks. I started this thread to ask what the standard is if I don't do or sign anything, since I just moved here and don't know. In the US it was explained to me ad nauseum every time I had a major surgery or illness requiring hospitalization.

ETA: I want to know what the law is in Israel if someone dies at a hospital and has usable organs, but never specified their wishes. It wasn't a thread about what my wishes should be.

If you don't have a card, your organs will not be donated. Your next of kin would have to authorize that.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:25 am
essie14 wrote:
If you don't have a card, your organs will not be donated. Your next of kin would have to authorize that.

Thanks

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:26 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
I would think if the Torah allows for being a recipient it would also for being a donor. After all, recipients receive from donors...

This is a big issue. But for those who follow the authorities that forbid donation, this is reality. And they can find other ways to contribute to society.
It sounds like you might find the approach of the rabbanim who allow this resonates with you. And that's good; you need to find a spiritual home and mentors. Try to build some personal relationships with the rabbanim.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:28 am
And Kiwi, tizku l'mitzovs, this is coming from a good place. (Even though I wouldn't do it.) I hope that it will not be relevant till after a 120 that is much much closer to 120 than not.

TravelHearter

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:24 am
I didn’t mean to derail the thread; I wanted to put it out there since not everyone realizes it can be a problem (clearly some allow it and some don’t).

happytobemom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 3:26 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I would think if the Torah allows for being a recipient it would also for being a donor. After all, recipients receive from donors...

I know this is far from the same thing, but just an example- we are not allowed to do kilayim - cross breeding, but we are allowed to eat a nectarine or a kiwi (which are cross-bred fruits), the Torah may allow to benefit one way while prohibiting the other way around.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 4:09 pm
happytobemom wrote:
I know this is far from the same thing, but just an example- we are not allowed to do kilayim - cross breeding, but we are allowed to eat a nectarine or a kiwi (which are cross-bred fruits), the Torah may allow to benefit one way while prohibiting the other way around.
oh interesting. Good point!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 4:15 pm
I had no idea this was even a thing. I always learned that post-humus organ donation was strictly forbidden.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions