Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
If you’re a babysitter…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:33 pm
Why wouldn’t you let the parents see beyond the door? Just wondering what else it could be aside from covering up.

amother
Chicory

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:36 pm
Some babysitters don't like parents to linger at drop off, because it makes the separation harder on the child.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:48 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Some babysitters don't like parents to linger at drop off, because it makes the separation harder on the child.

you cant come in at all! And you gotta go! Are two separate things!

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:49 pm
As a babysitter for 7 years, I ALWAYS had an open door policy. Parents were able to come into building on their own, and only knocked on my apartment door, where they would have been able to hear every sound. Parents knew to come in quietly so as not to disturb other sleeping babies, but were always let in within a few seconds of knocking, unless I was changing a diaper.
Later, as a 2 year old Morah for another few years, I had the same system, but I did request parents do not enter during the day, because that would cause many other toddlers to start crying for their mothers, thinking it was time for dismissal and "why isn't my mommy here too?!"
But they always had permission to enter if they wanted to. I totally understood them for wanting to, especially earlier in the year, until they were fully comfortable with my place.
Additionally, often a mother picking up early or dropping off late would start shmoozing, asking about the child's day, etc., and it was very distracting. I ended up at one poing messaging parents and telling them so, and saying that any off schedule pickup would have to happen without any conversation. they were welcome to call or text me any questions after hours or during nap hour, when I could repsond.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:50 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
As a babysitter for 7 years, I ALWAYS had an open door policy. Parents were able to come into building on their own, and only knocked on my apartment door, where they would have been able to hear every sound. Parents knew to come in quietly so as not to disturb other sleeping babies, but were always let in within a few seconds of knocking, unless I was changing a diaper.
Later, as a 2 year old Morah for another few years, I had the same system, but I did request parents do not enter during the day, because that would cause many other toddlers to start crying for their mothers, thinking it was time for dismissal and "why isn't my mommy here too?!"
But they always had permission to enter if they wanted to. I totally understood them for wanting to, especially earlier in the year, until they were fully comfortable with my place.
Additionally, often a mother picking up early or dropping off late would start shmoozing, asking about the child's day, etc., and it was very distracting. I ended up at one point messaging parents and telling them so, and saying that any off schedule pickup would have to happen without any conversation. they were welcome to call or text me any questions after hours or during nap hour, when I could repsond.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:35 pm
Where I work mother's walk in to drop off and pick up at random times all day every day. All babysitters employed know to tell the mothers if they are too busy to shmooze...

amother
Lightcoral

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:51 pm
It distracts the children and the teacher. When young children see a parent, they think why isn’t my mother here too? I’ve seen adults come in and it’s usually very disruptive and the group has a hard getting back to what they were doing before.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:23 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
It distracts the children and the teacher. When young children see a parent, they think why isn’t my mother here too? I’ve seen adults come in and it’s usually very disruptive and the group has a hard getting back to what they were doing before.

But there are sitters that don't allow in even at drop off and pick-up. That's crazy and I can't understand how anyone sends to such a place.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:13 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
But there are sitters that don't allow in even at drop off and pick-up. That's crazy and I can't understand how anyone sends to such a place.
I wouldn't either send to such a place.
I'm just thinking, maybe their house is a flying mess and they're embarrassed that ppl should see it..

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:19 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
I wouldn't either send to such a place.
I'm just thinking, maybe their house is a flying mess and they're embarrassed that ppl should see it..

No. Not an excuse. You have a business you need to be prepared for people to come in.

Parents should not be told they can never enter. That is so messed up and very worrisome.

Especially when this is a babysitter for a baby who can’t talk and let you know what is going on there. Or a child who is too young to be able to communicate effectively.

bnm

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:05 pm
red flag

keeptrying

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:12 pm
There is someone in lakewood who runs a daycare in her house (her and 3 Mexican ladies for around 70 kids) and has that rule, and I cannot understand how people send there. Its super worrisome

ceebea

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:18 pm
Public schools have signs outside no parents beyond this point

keeptrying

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:21 pm
ceebea wrote:
Public schools have signs outside no parents beyond this point

There is a huge difference between:
1) a hyper regulated environment vs a persons house
2) children who can somewhat advocate for themselves vs babies with non developed communication skills

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:29 pm
bella613 wrote:
There is someone in lakewood who runs a daycare in her house (her and 3 Mexican ladies for around 70 kids) and has that rule, and I cannot understand how people send there. Its super worrisome

Didn't you report her to Rabbi Tendler last week? He didnt shut her down?

keeptrying

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:42 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Didn't you report her to Rabbi Tendler last week? He didnt shut her down?

The poster was anonymous, I don't know why your assuming that she was me. And I don't understand why you assume that this is the same babysitter. There are unfortunately multiple babysitters like that in lakewood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics