Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
For High functioning autistic teens what do you do

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:21 pm
What therapies do you do for high functioning autistic teenager -13 year old. Do they have a therapist? Do they still do speech, aba? What did you do until now? Are they mainstreamed? Specifically curious if you live in Lakewood but others welcome to respond.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:29 pm
ABA is abuse.

There's a support group that opened on slack for autism.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:37 pm
One of mine does therapy once a week plus meets with the county board of dd once a week plus vocational skills, social skills and speech. The other just does one school class that encompasses vocational and social skills as part of a mainstream high school experience.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:32 pm
I’m not sure your child’s specifics. My ds is very high functioning ASD. Never qualified for iep. We spent years with therapy and discipline issues and my son with a complex and anxiety and us too as a result. Then we switched schools…to public school. He was a different child and thrived. Excelled academically and no behavioral issues.

It did come with a religiosity trade off..might he be more machmir if he’d stayed in the system? Maybe. But he’d have been an anxious or depressed wreck and more likely on drugs or resenting frumkeit. We chose our “hard” that we felt would result best in a thriving healthy Jewish human.

I wish we’d done it sooner and I wish our schools were better run to deal with out of the box kids especially in the boys schools. It’s very hard.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:54 pm
Ds 13 has HFA and has therapy since before he was 2. After ei and a special preschool (3-5) we tried mainstream with max support for a few years ( OT, Setss, counseling, speech) after a few years we tried medication and also a weekly session with a psychologist ( out of pocket) he was very unhappy in mainstream and we could we were losing him. Then we switched him to a special Ed school and he is so happy and thriving. His self esteem is great bh and he has friends because the boys in his class are his true peers. Now still has speech, ot, and counseling in school only. No medication

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:29 pm
Is the special ed school in lakewood? Also previous poster did you switch to a lakewood public school?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 9:17 pm
I was just thinking about a Lakewood former teen I know of with HFA who got ABA in middle school. She's now out of sem, hugely successful in work and life, and starting shidduchim. Whoever ends up with her will be very lucky.

ABA is only bad if done by someone incompetent. Done right, it changes lives in wonderful ways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics