Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Books similar to a light for greytowers

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 6:56 pm
My 3rd grader has read A light for Greytowers by Eva Vogiel 6 times. What other books are similar and on the same level?

bigsis144

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:00 pm
Eva Vogel wrote other books - I remember A Weed Among the Roses from when I was a girl.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:30 pm
Your third grader is reading on a high level. That's more like beginning of fourth grade or older.
As great as her reading is, don't let her read books too above her age. She'll enjoy them more if she can wait another year or two.
These aren't all like Greytowers but some suggestions:
The other books by Eva Vogiel.
Chayala Kohaine
Mrs. Elias
Story collections - Libby Lazewnik, M. Jakubowicz, Miriam Schonzeit, Rachel Stein, Reva Rubinstein, Rochel Burstyn, others.
Has she already read Mrs. Honig, BY Times, Kid Sisters, Bakers Dozen, Regards from Camp, Jewish Girls Around the World?
Aliza by ...Kepecs
Tamar Shy.
Sarah Schleimer (not Far From the Place We Call Home yet)
Menucha has a lot of great books. Mysteries by Ellen Roteman, Fraydele Galya Soban Biniashvilli, Rivkah Small, Henye Meyer.
Faygie Holt's books.

There are more but I'll stop here.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:33 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Your third grader is reading on a high level. That's more like beginning of fourth grade or older.
As great as her reading is, don't let her read books too above her age. She'll enjoy them more if she can wait another year or two.
These aren't all like Greytowers but some suggestions:
The other books by Eva Vogiel.
Chayala Kohaine
Mrs. Elias
Story collections - Libby Lazewnik, M. Jakubowicz, Miriam Schonzeit, Rachel Stein, Reva Rubinstein, Rochel Burstyn, others.
Has she already read Mrs. Honig, BY Times, Kid Sisters, Bakers Dozen, Regards from Camp, Jewish Girls Around the World?
Aliza by ...Kepecs
Tamar Shy.
Sarah Schleimer (not Far From the Place We Call Home yet)
Menucha has a lot of great books. Mysteries by Ellen Roteman, Fraydele Galya Soban Biniashvilli, Rivkah Small, Henye Meyer.
Faygie Holt's books.

There are more but I'll stop here.

She does read above age level, we had her tested and she is really even higher at a 6th grade level. But maturity wise she's most comfortable at this level. She read all the Mrs. Honig, most Libby Lezewnik and miriam shonzeit. I'll look for the others.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:36 pm
Some great books

Family For Awhile - about a frum foster child

If Only - family copes with sick mother

The Shira books

Happy is the heart

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
She does read above age level, we had her tested and she is really even higher at a 6th grade level. But maturity wise she's most comfortable at this level. She read all the Mrs. Honig, most Libby Lezewnik and miriam shonzeit. I'll look for the others.

I have some more suggestions but they might be below her level. Bubby Karp. Hachai chapter books. (Lots of good stuff there. The Great Potato Plan. The Marvelous Mixup. Carlos Romano. More.)
Menucha's Escape books. Menucha's junior biographies. (The kids love Lady Amelie. They're all good.)

Leah Sokol's choose your own adventure type stuff.

Tova Shkedi Invisible trilogy.

Rachel Schorr Invisibles.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 7:51 pm
One tiny spark
If only
Optical illusion
these were all my fav's as a kid - like a light for the greytowers, books that are a bit sad, with young girls with strong perseverence.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children