Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s your favorite type of tzedaka?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 2:48 am
Maybe I should have put this conversation in chit chat…
Besides for your Shul and your kids schools, what is your favorite tzedaka to give?
It can be an official organization or simply helping your neighbor with their grocery shopping bills.
I’m ready to be inspired.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:04 am
I’ll start:
My uncle runs an organization (here in Israel) that helps ppl anonymously, usually ppl who would refuse tzedaka otherwise, but need it. We have a tzedaka box for it at home and my kids have caught the bug, they love to give there too.

On a communal level, I love donating to our local mikvah. It goes for maintenance.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:07 am
We used to live in a community where there was a man who started collecting money for a few families who couldnt pay for chicken for shabbat. It turned into something much bigger and he is literally known as the "chicken man" now. He collects a LOT more money now and had people helping him. We dont live there anymore, but whenever we do get back there, we always give him.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:13 am
When I can I pay double at the Mikvah.

When I have something important in my life (test, medical issue, any stress) I give to Rabbi Meir Baal Haness before the thing (example- test) and after once we’re finished. It’s really miraculous but I was never let down.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:14 am
Someone I know organizes a 'nosh order' for a widow in the neighborhood.
Every month a few hundred dollars worth of snacks, ice cream, special or new products.
When we have extra maaser we like to give to that.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:18 am
There's an older couple here whom sells salatim and things for Shabbat. We rarely need, but we buy whatever they have left by the end of Friday, to ensure they have parnassah.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 3:57 am
I like to give to families I know that are struggling with tuition. We are also, and I feel like Hashem gives a bracha when you help someone with something you're having a hard time with yourself.

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 4:52 am
Organization here in Israel called Lemaan Achai. It's really wonderful and gets people back on their feet so that they won't need tzedakah anymore.

I also donate to One Family Fund regularly (helps victims of terrorist attacks) .

amother
Chambray

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 4:58 am
https://mykupa.org/

salt

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 5:25 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
We used to live in a community where there was a man who started collecting money for a few families who couldnt pay for chicken for shabbat. It turned into something much bigger and he is literally known as the "chicken man" now. He collects a LOT more money now and had people helping him. We dont live there anymore, but whenever we do get back there, we always give him.

I like this kind of thing because 100% of your money goes to the cause.
Any formal organization will take some percentage for offices, salaries, advertising, etc.
I like to give where as closet to 100% goes to the needy.

On the other hand, it's good to give to registered organizations, as then you can get a tax refund.

So we try to find a balance between the two.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 5:35 am
salt wrote:
I like this kind of thing because 100% of your money goes to the cause.
Any formal organization will take some percentage for offices, salaries, advertising, etc.
I like to give where as closet to 100% goes to the needy.

On the other hand, it's good to give to registered organizations, as then you can get a tax refund.

So we try to find a balance between the two.
I dont care about the tax refund, to be honest Smile
I give to this man exactly for the reason you said, I know 100% where the money is going Smile

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:01 am
Wow this thread is giving me chills!

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:26 am
To my mother in law who recently became an almana and was not left with any inheritance.
I like to give family first.

DVOM

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:29 am
Beautiful thread!

I love to give to Renewal.

I wouldn't have been able to go through with organ donation without their support.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:35 am
The rebbeim in my boys’ school

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:38 am
I love to give to people on imamother or other “real people” Grocery orders, clothing, household products. Whatever people need and I know it’s going directly to them .

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:40 am
My family likes to give to our local Hatzala

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:43 am
I donated to Avnei Chein in Ramat Beis Shemesh last roh hashana
Now we give our maaser to my sister-in-law iluy nishmas for her husband so they are ok financially.
And we collected money for the kollel in Amsterdam.

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:56 am
Tomchai Shabbos
Masbia
Yad Sarah
Shalom Task Force
Shuvu
Zaka

smileyface:)

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:00 am
We give to the local high school that my husband learned at and now goes their for nighttime learning

Chai lifeline and bikur cholim of Phili
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics