Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would love to hear others opinions, especially teachers
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:51 am
amother Garnet wrote:
It is a spelling test. If it was a vocab test, I would agree with you. The point is they are spelling it in the sentence and using the word, spelled correctly.

Sorry but I agree with the teacher.

How is it fair to take off points if the same one word was misspelled twice? That's not the right way to mark a test. She got points off for spelling it wrong on the spelling part. The sentence part is using the word correctly in a sentence. She got points off already for spelling it wrong, no need to take off double points for the same word.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:57 am
I'm sorry that this is going to be unhelpful but I feel bad for your daughter sitting in a classroom with a teacher with that attitude. If everything happened the way you said, she does not sound like a kind empathetic person. Poor second graders.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:00 am
At this point you know know what's taking place so you can just explain to your daughter how amazing she is doing on the sentences and fill ins though don't talk negatively about her teacher, kids don't gain from that.

Please buy the teacher a huge box of chocolates. What's MOST important is that your daughter is well cared for and that's all that matters right now.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:04 am
It's a spelling test, so your daughter will lose points for all words misspelled. The point of the sentences are not to see if she can use the word correctly, it's to see if your daughter can spell the word correctly in context (instead of just spit-back spelling single words).
I disagree with teachers who take points off for spelling on Map skills tests (which I've seen a lot), because the focus of that test is to see if you know the locations, not the spelling.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:08 am
My daughter is such an easygoing 7 year old. She totally doesn’t care what mark she gets. It was me who was annoyed at the way the teacher graded the tests.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:13 am
amother OP wrote:
My daughter is such an easygoing 7 year old. She totally doesn’t care what mark she gets. It was me who was annoyed at the way the teacher graded the tests.

Ah.

I don't think it's worth pursuing honestly. You are bound to encounter many stupid things in the school system. Your daughter's spelling grades won't chase her into the real world.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:27 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
It's a spelling test, so your daughter will lose points for all words misspelled. The point of the sentences are not to see if she can use the word correctly, it's to see if your daughter can spell the word correctly in context (instead of just spit-back spelling single words).
I disagree with teachers who take points off for spelling on Map skills tests (which I've seen a lot), because the focus of that test is to see if you know the locations, not the spelling.

This post makes no sense. I'm a speech therapist, and I have a strong understanding of vocabulary, semantics, grammar and syntax etc.

The teacher has to determine what exactly the test is focusing on. Is it spelling or vocabulary/word usage? If it is spelling, then students will lose points for spelling a word incorrectly, but they should NOT lose points twice for he same word.
If it is vocabulary, then the student needs to USE the word correctly in a sentence. We don't "SPELL words correctly in context," we USE words correctly in context. If she spelled it wrong in isolation, then she is going to spell it wrong in context also, and it is not fair to take off twice. The student may actually understand the word usage but not know how to spell it. So she should get the sentence correct.
The question is, if the teacher is indeed teaching word USAGE. Is dhe going over the definitions of the words? Explaining what part of speech it is and how to use it correctly in a sentence? Many teachers don't do this as part of their spelling lessons. It's only about the spelling. In which case, it isn't fair to take off for incorrect word usage.

And regardless of all this, the way this teacher treated the mom is unacceptable. She sounds immature and full of herself. I hope she treats the girls nicer than she treats the moms.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:29 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
At this point you know know what's taking place so you can just explain to your daughter how amazing she is doing on the sentences and fill ins though don't talk negatively about her teacher, kids don't gain from that.

Please buy the teacher a huge box of chocolates. What's MOST important is that your daughter is well cared for and that's all that matters right now.

Lol this teacher definitely does not deserve a huge box of chocolates. I would give ther the minimum gifts that I'm obligated to. I hate this whole business of needing to kiss up to teachers and bribe them incessantly, just so they will treat our kids with basic decency. If you can't be nice to kids, then please leave teaching. I don't care how bad the teaching shortage is.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:42 am
amother OP wrote:

I don't get why you invest so much energy in this issue. Your daughter isn't upset so why are you? There isn't much you can do.

gibberish

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:51 am
So I think a little differently.

It's 2nd grade. Grades don't matter at this age. Is she learning and growing? Does it really matter how the test is graded?

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:59 am
I agree with you. She's calling it a spelling test, but in reality she's assessing spelling, word usage, vocabulary, etc. There is no reason to double dip in giving or deducting points for the same error twice.

Somewhat analogous, in grading the NYS standardized exams, a kid can come up with an incorrect answer to part one. They get points off. But if they then use that wrong answer and follow through the next part inserting that wrong answer into further work, as long as the context and further work is correct, they get full credit for that part.

Double dipping to take point away is correlated with reducing student self esteem and engagement in school. Your dd may not say anything about it, but she's probably noticing her 13 compared to other classmates. I'd continue to advocate for more fair, and standards based grading.

Also, it seems like your daughter would benefit from five minutes extra of studying per night.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:00 pm
gibberish wrote:
So I think a little differently.

It's 2nd grade. Grades don't matter at this age. Is she learning and growing? Does it really matter how the test is graded?

This.

You need to pick your battles. Why go to the principal over something that doesn't matter to your daughter? Is this your oldest? You'll have bigger issues to discuss down the line. Not worth being "that mom" over something that isn't that big of a deal.

Honestly, I wouldn't even have brought this up to the teacher. I would tell my daughter that grades only matter in that they help you know what to focus on. If she got off for hill, bill, and will (or whatever), then the low grade is just a tap on the shoulder telling you to review the double-L at the end of words. If she got off for misspelling a word in a sentence that she got right in the original list, the grade is just letting her know to read over the sentences when she's done to make sure that the words are spelled correctly.

It's not your job to fix the world. Just to raise your daughter with a healthy attitude towards work, grades, teachers, and learning new skills.

taketwo

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:05 pm
I'm trying to understand why it bothers you in the first place that she doesn't get 20 out of 20?

If the point of the test is spelling words correctly, and spelling words correctly in a sentence then I see no issue with the way the test was marked.

You know how they say pick your battles? I would pick my battles carefully and not battle a teacher over being strict with marking tests. It's probably good for your daughter to know we all make mistakes and are not always perfect. Save your battles for more important matters.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:05 pm
is she a new teacher seems like that I think normal by the sentence should be to correct the mistake and give it right or take off a point for the mistake as that part of the test was about sentence and try to build up the kid how great she is doing (from that will really eventually get that 100%) instead of this situation which will cause her to give up. I have found that new teachers have this issue from inexperience maybe talk to principal...

taketwo

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:09 pm
Please don't talk to the principal. It's not good to have your child's teacher as an enemy. Unless there is a serious issue you let it go for your child's sake.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:14 pm
amother White wrote:
As a former second grade English teacher, this seems reasonable to me. It is a spelling test.

Previous poster’s idea is a good one, but this still sounds normal to me.

this is why my daughter said "girls dont want to be teacher because by the time they leave school they are פארעקלט from them."

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:17 pm
Honestly I think you are making too of a big deal about this, especially if your daughter doesn't care.
This is how the teacher grades her test, let it go. Explain to your daughter once so she understands how it's graded. Why does she have to get a 100 every time? I'm not saying the teacher is right or wrong, but don't get so hung up on it.

As for the phone call, sorry you felt like that. She should not have given you attitude! You deserve to be heard and respected.

Happens to be as a teacher I don't appreciate such notes. I don't like that the student knows what the mother wrote and is passing me on a message on how to run my class and I have no opening to respond. I appreciate a phone call much more where mom can explain her perspective and I can share mine. I find that we can better communicate in a phone call then if I get a note with a complaint. And because a note doesn't have expression or tone of voice it can often sound like criticism. But if a parent sent a note, I wouldn't make her feel like a penny!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:27 pm
taketwo wrote:
I'm trying to understand why it bothers you in the first place that she doesn't get 20 out of 20?

If the point of the test is spelling words correctly, and spelling words correctly in a sentence then I see no issue with the way the test was marked.

You know how they say pick your battles? I would pick my battles carefully and not battle a teacher over being strict with marking tests. It's probably good for your daughter to know we all make mistakes and are not always perfect. Save your battles for more important matters.

She's not bothered that her daughter didn't get a 20/20. She's bothered about the way the teacher marks the test, that she gets points off 2 times for the same misspelled word. She's also bothered by the way the teacher spoke to her when she asked her to explain her way of marking.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:32 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Lol this teacher definitely does not deserve a huge box of chocolates. I would give ther the minimum gifts that I'm obligated to. I hate this whole business of needing to kiss up to teachers and bribe them incessantly, just so they will treat our kids with basic decency. If you can't be nice to kids, then please leave teaching. I don't care how bad the teaching shortage is.

This situation is a good example why teachers need to have proper training. Inexperienced young grads end up learning on the job - honing their skills on the backs of their first years' students.

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:33 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
This situation is a good example why teachers need to have proper training. Inexperienced young grads end up learning on the job - honing their skills on the backs of their first years' students.

Much like parents lol
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics