Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Restaurant style hot poppers & sesame chicken recipe
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 7:43 pm
So I've tried dozens of recipes for sesame chicken and only the Bais Yaakov cookbook for hot poppers and it never comes out like the takeout stores or restaurants...

My DH claims that the chicken gets soggy in the sauce over time when I make it while the takeout/restaurant have a thin dense coating and can last in the fridge overnight.
The sauce also never comes out right.

Anyone have any tried and true recipes?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 7:47 pm
This recipe is amazing. Really tastes like a restaurant. https://damndelicious.net/2013.....cken/

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
1 ½ cups cornstarch
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
3 large egg whites, beaten
Mazola corn oil, for frying
Sesame seeds, for garnish
Sliced green onions, for garnish

FOR THE MARINADE

1 cup chicken stock
½ cup soy sauce
¼ cup honey
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon chili paste

INSTRUCTIONS

To make the marinade, whisk together chicken stock, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and 1/2 cup water in a large bowl.
In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken and 6 tablespoons of the marinade; marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger and chili paste and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups marinade until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes; keep warm.
In a large bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, baking soda and remaining marinade until it resembles coarse meal.
Working one at a time, dip the chicken into the egg whites, then dredge in the cornstarch mixture, pressing to coat.
Heat corn oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. Add chicken and fry until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Serve chicken immediately, tossed or drizzled with the marinade, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:27 pm
Following ! Need an easy and kid friendly sesame chicken recipe!

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:28 pm
The above doesn’t look like a kid friendly sauce and also has ingredients I don’t have .. would love more ideas .

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:33 pm
Do you reduce the sauce until it becomes slightly caramelized? This may be the step you are missing. Should be able to coat the chicken pieces nicely without causing them to get soggy but not too much that it becomes to hard and sticky.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:35 pm
Sesame Chicken

coat shnitzel (I used cubed dark chicken pieces) in flour (mix in bowl with a lot of flour and will stick without eggs)
lay in 9 by 13 greased pan

1 cup brown sugar
5 tbs ketchup
2 tbs: oil, mustard and viniger
sesame seeds in mixture (1/2 cup) or pour more on top after

mix well and pour over chicken. bake on 350, covered half hour and uncover for 15 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:42 pm
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Sesame Chicken

coat shnitzel (I used cubed dark chicken pieces) in flour (mix in bowl with a lot of flour and will stick without eggs)
lay in 9 by 13 greased pan

1 cup brown sugar
5 tbs ketchup
2 tbs: oil, mustard and viniger
sesame seeds in mixture (1/2 cup) or pour more on top after

mix well and pour over chicken. bake on 350, covered half hour and uncover for 15 minutes.

I did this and it still doesn't compare to the takeout stuff... Hiding

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:45 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
The above doesn’t look like a kid friendly sauce and also has ingredients I don’t have .. would love more ideas .

https://onlysugarcoatyourfood......cken/

Teriyaki Sesame Chicken

Ingredients

Batter

3/4 Cup cornstarch
3/4 Cup flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Baking soda
1 Cup cold water
3 Lbs Chicken cutlets, cut into 1 inch nuggets
2 Cups oil (canola or vegetable)
Sauce

1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup brown-rice vinegar
6 Tbs soy sauce
6 Garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 Tbs sesame oil
6 Tbs water
2 Tbs cornstarch
Directions

Combine all batter ingredients.
Heat the oil in a wok or pot for ten minutes on medium heat. (I don’t use the full amount of oil [shocking, I know] I just pour in about 3/4 inch of oil into a small pot and fry the chicken in batches)
Dip the nuggets into the batter and then place in the oil carefully. Fry until golden brown. Transfer into an empty bowl.
While the oil is heating up, while the chicken is frying or soon after – make the sauce. \/
Mix the first five ingredients in a small sauce pan over high heat. Bring to a boil and make sure all the sugar is dissolved.
Mix the water and cornstarch and add to the sauce. Lower heat a little, and mix the sauce until it thickens.
Pour sauce over chicken and mix well. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

[Serve over white rice.. or brown rice if you want this dish to taste less good.]

*From Fresh & Easy Kosher Cooking by Leah Schapira .. no, I couldn’t come up with an authentic sesame chicken recipe on my own.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
I did this and it still doesn't compare to the takeout stuff... Hiding

100% agree its not like takeout.

I wonder if you coat it with a mix of cornstarch and flour and instead of baking fry it and then pour the sauce on it??

amother
Black

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:18 pm
Cuz you are not deep frying it....

If you wanna try more... Between carpools has hot poppers

momX4

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:28 pm
I made this multiple times. Its a bit of a patchke, but everyone loves it

I put the fried chicken onto a rack (I saved it from a roaster pan). This keeps the chicken crunchy

https://30minutesmeals.com/swe.....cken/

Ingredients
1 pound chicken thighs cut into 1 inch chunks
1/3 cup cornstarch
oil for frying
6 cloves garlic minced
1 tablespoon ginger minced
1 teaspoon red chili flakes
3 dried red peppers optional
For the Sauce:
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoons hot sauce
1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Instructions
In a large bowl, toss the chicken thighs with the cornstarch well so every chicken piece is covered in cornstarch. Set aside.
Add all the "Sauce" ingredients to a bowl and whisk together to combine. Set aside.
Add vegetable oil to a large pan, at least so it reaches the mid of the pan.
Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and fry on medium-high heat until crispy and golden.
Remove chicken from the pan, save one tablespoon of oil and discard the rest.
Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook on low heat for about 30 seconds, until you smell the garlic. Stir continuously and be careful as the garlic and red pepper flakes can burn quickly.
Add in the chicken back to the pan and toss.
Give the sauce a quick stir and add it to the pan.
Stir to coat well the chicken for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, until sauce has thickened.
Serve immediately with rice.

EMEN

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:41 pm
This one is totally worth the effort:

https://www.food.com/recipe/be.....15446

INGREDIENTS
UNITS: US
MARINADE
1 egg white
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons vodka (80 proof)
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
DRY COATING
1⁄2 cup flour
1⁄2 cup cornstarch
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
SAUCE
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
2 tablespoons chinese rice vinegar or 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
4 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon roasted sesame seed oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons canola oil
2 teaspoons garlic, minced or 2 medium garlic cloves
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced (about 1-inch piece)
2 teaspoons scallions, minced (white part only) or 1 scallion
8 8 small dried arbol chiles or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
6 -8 scallions (white parts only, cut into 1-inch lengths)
TO FINISH
1 1⁄2
1 1/2 quarts vegetable oil or 1 1/2 quarts canola oil, for deep frying
2 -3
cups cooked white rice, for serving
ADVERTISEMENT
DIRECTIONS
MARINADE.
In a large bowl, beat egg whites until broken down and lightly foamy.
Add soy sauce, wine, and vodka. Whisk to combine. Set aside half of marinade in a small bowl.
To large bowl, add baking soda and cornstarch and whisk to combine. Add chicken and turn with fingers to coat thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
DRY COAT.
In a second large bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk until homogenous. Add reserved marinade from Step 3. Whisk until mixture has coarse, mealy clumps. Set aside. (I would put this in a large plastic bag.).
SAUCE.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, chicken stock, sugar, sesame seed oil, and cornstarch. Stir with a fork until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps remain. Set aside.
In a large skillet, combine oil, garlic, ginger, minced scallions and red chilies. Place over medium heat (that's right, don't preheat skillet!).
Cook, stirring, until vegetables are aromatic and soft, but not browned, about 3 minutes.
Stir sauce mixture and add to skillet, making sure to scrape out any sugar or starch on the bottom. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute.
Add scallion segments. Transfer sauce to a bowl to stop cooking, but don't wipe out skillet.
TO FINISH.
Heat 1 1/2 quarts oil in a large wok or Dutch oven to 350°F and adjust flame to maintain temperature.
One piece at a time, remove chicken from marinade and place in dry coat mixture and toss to coat and press dry mixture onto chicken to help it adhere. When all chicken is in dry coat mixture, make sure every piece is well-coated.
Lift chicken 1 piece at a time, shake off excess coating, and carefully LOWER into hot oil (DO NOT DROP IT!). Once all chicken has been added, cook, agitating with long chopsticks or a metal spider, and adjust flame to maintain temperature of 325-375°F, until chicken is cooked through and very crispy, about 4 minutes.
Transfer cooked chicken to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain.
Add chicken to empty skillet (the one you didn't wipe out in Step 12) and return sauce to skillet. Toss chicken, folding it with a rubber spatula until all pieces are thoroughly coated.
Serve immediately with white rice. (You may prefer to have more than 1/2 cup rice per serving.).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:38 am
So no one has hot popper recipe?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:40 am
amother Black wrote:
Cuz you are not deep frying it....

If you wanna try more... Between carpools has hot poppers

Between carpools recipe is not fried either. It's a quick & simple recipe.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:42 am
Right I need a fried type recipes for hot poppers.
No one has a restaurant style recipe?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:06 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Do you reduce the sauce until it becomes slightly caramelized? This may be the step you are missing. Should be able to coat the chicken pieces nicely without causing them to get soggy but not too much that it becomes to hard and sticky.

Yes... But still no luck

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:00 pm
amother Sage wrote:

I made a different recipe and maybe I erred on this... I also realized that perhaps I didn't fully deep fry the chicken and maybe that's also where I went wrong...

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:02 pm
momX4 wrote:
I made this multiple times. Its a bit of a patchke, but everyone loves it

I put the fried chicken onto a rack (I saved it from a roaster pan). This keeps the chicken crunchy

https://30minutesmeals.com/swe.....cken/

So this was the recipe I attempted.

Texture wise, I hit the spot (meaning it didn't get soggy,) but interestingly my husband stated that it didn't have a full flavor to it and more of a simple taste... Not sure why, but thank you!

If you have anymore of these types of recipes, I would love to attempt to try them

Amarante

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:15 pm
No fried recipe of any kind is going to remain crisp unless eaten immediately - with or without a sauce.

And to get the restaurant texture, you have to deep fry it - no getting around that. And typically the breading contains cornstarch as well.

Panda Express is a wildly popular (non kosher) Chinese restaurant chain that has the kind of inauthentic Chinese food that is served by kosher Chinese restaurants. Not meant as a snark but this style of neighborhood Chinese American food whether it is kosher or non-kosher is its own thing and is a comfort food to many people from New York (kosher or not).

For this recipe you make the orange sauce - you fry the chicken pieces - and THEN you combine the sauce with the fried chicken and heat briefly and serve immediately.

The ingredients for the sauce are fairly common pantry items

Breading with cornstarch is a typical way to get that unique texture of Chinese fried foods. Even stir fried dishes that don't have an obvious coating will be dusted with cornstarch - it is called velveting the protein.

Also when frying for best results do NOT crowd the pan or put too many pieces in at once. This is because if you put too many pieces in at once you lower the temperature of the oil a lot and so instead of crispy food you get greasy food that absorbs too much oil. If you crowd the pan same results - greasy food instead of well fried food.

This is a clone recipe for their most popular dish

Homemade Panda Express Orange Chicken

Makes 4 to 8 servings

Orange Chicken Sauce

¼ cup water
2 tablespoons corn starch
½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed if possible
½ teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon ginger, grated
2 ½ teaspoons of sambal chile sauce
2 tablespoons mirin - the is similar to sake or you can sub sherry
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl, stir together the water and corn starch to make a slurry. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, zest and marmalade along with the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, chile sauce, mirin, rice wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, honey, pepper and salt. Heat over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the mixture comes to a simmer, 2 to 3 minutes.

Whisk in the corn starch slurry and continue to cook until the sauce comes back to a simmer, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. This makes about 1 cup sauce.

Fried chicken

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
1 ½ cups corn starch
Vegetable oil, for frying

Pour the corn starch into a shallow baking dish or bowl. Toss the chicken pieces in with the corn starch to coat, then set aside for a few minutes. Toss the chicken with the corn starch a second time to coat again. Set aside.

Add enough oil to a large heavy pot so the oil comes about halfway up the sides. Heat the oil until a thermometer inserted reaches 350 degrees.

Fry the chicken pieces, a handful at a time, until the chicken is firm and the fried coating is a pale golden color. Drain on a cooling rack lined with paper towels.

Orange chicken

Fried chicken
Orange Chicken Sauce

Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the orange chicken sauce and cook until the sauce starts to bubble, about 1 minute.

Add the chicken to the pan and stir until each piece is well coated with the sauce, about 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:52 am
mha3484 wrote:
This recipe is amazing. Really tastes like a restaurant. https://damndelicious.net/2013.....cken/

What do you use for chili paste?
I couldn't find it in my local stores
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen