Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s your favorite type of tzedaka?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:06 am
We pay up our parents' accounts at the grocery store and donate to Hatzola.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:34 am
Atime. I know there’s an overhead because that’s the only way to run an organization like this. We send a lot maaser there to attempt in a small way to repay them for my precious little miracle I have today. I would not be in the same place physically, emotionally, and with my small special family without them.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:37 am
I like to give back to Bonei Olam when they have a campaign. They literally make all my ivf treatments possible. There is also the Friendship house an amazing place to stay whilst going through fertility treatments. When I can I try I give back to these amazing organizations.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:51 am
I like to finance a basic canteen fund for kids I know whose families are raising money to send them to sleepaway camp, or who are there on scholarships. It often doesn't happen and they're the only kid in their bunk with nothing, which can have a negative effect on the reasons they are being sent in the first place.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:53 am
I would have given to those who help children of divorce with entertainment, nice gifts and chizzuk like divorce is never the fault of a child (no lecturing about their obligations to their parents). As far as I know there no one who does this.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:45 am
I have a close friend who's struggling terribly. I put money into her grocery account, I know it's literally putting food on her table.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Maybe I should have put this conversation in chit chat…
Besides for your Shul and your kids schools, what is your favorite tzedaka to give?
It can be an official organization or simply helping your neighbor with their grocery shopping bills.
I’m ready to be inspired.

Hatzolah hands down

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:29 am
money to divorcees.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:15 pm
salt wrote:
I like this kind of thing because 100% of your money goes to the cause.
Any formal organization will take some percentage for offices, salaries, advertising, etc.
I like to give where as closet to 100% goes to the needy.

On the other hand, it's good to give to registered organizations, as then you can get a tax refund.

So we try to find a balance between the two.

This. I've been hearing recently about organizations that you and I probably both see advertised and fundraised for all the time and probably give to, where people are taking salaries of $250k $350 and even a million a year.

My new thing is that I do not give money to organizations that pay any one person more than $200,000 which is a very nice livable salary. If somebody needs more than that to live then maybe don't go into 'nonprofits'.
If you are paying an executive 500k and are trying to raise a million dollars you could cut his salary in half and you'll already reach a quarter of your goal.

As to the question, my favorite thing to do is to help out family members without them realizing.
Whether it's by booking them tickets and saying it's with points when we actually paid for it or telling them a bill was less than it was and covering the difference, that is the best way to help a person because they don't even know that they are being helped.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 10:56 pm
I havent been giving maaser in about 7 months now (was told not to by our rav), but I always liked giving to hachnasas kallah and bonei olam and tomchei shabbos.

I was the recipient of some help from some imas on here with diapers and wipes when I couldnt afford even that. and two mothers helped chip in to pay for a medical procedure I was having. it changed my life, my marriage, my emotional health... it still brings me to tears.

Greenapple

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:05 pm
I really feel for the Israeli's that knock at my door at night. Respectable Father's of big families marrying off kids, so far away from home, knocking on other ppls door just tugs my heart Sad

For some reason I feel that my $20/$40 donation makes a bigger difference for them than for the big organizations.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:22 pm
I see from others responses that our hearts are usually tugged by something we've been through or helped with personally. It makes sense. For me it's hearing about people's new businesses. They want to earn money. I'll buy stuff I don't need or want just to support them.
I also have a soft spot for single moms, and families that openly ask for tzedakah. My feeling is that it is so painful and embarrassing to have to publicly ask, things must be really bad.

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:28 pm
To family members that are sick and struggling. Or just struggling.

pause

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:32 pm
I like to give anonymously to real people. Like when a neighbor was collecting for her sister. Or when my mother was collecting for a friend of hers. Or a teacher was collecting to help marry off her student. The person receiving the money has no idea who gave and how much each person gave.

I know many organizations do wonderful things for people, but I have more of a "gefeel" for tzedaka that goes directly to real people who are struggling.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:35 pm
In general, I like to give directly to people (or through a rav), as you ever really know if the money going to organizations is actually helping people.
The only 2 organization that I give are hachnasas kallah organizations that helped marry me off and I'm literally still benefitting from them by using the furniture and kitchen items etc.

Gut

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:07 am
When I was pregnant, I was the whole time hungry. It is an awful feeling. Boruch Haschem I have food. But there are people who are hungry and don't. We started to give regularly to organizations who provide food.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:16 am
Pay up grocery bills without recipient knowing where its from. Pay towards someone's therapy and therapist lowers rate so they are still accountable. Pay up tuition. I don't like giving to organizations as much comes off until it reaches the recipient.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:52 am
I’m in tears reading all these posts.
My heart is moved beyond. The kindness pouring out of every one of you/us must surely move things not just in the recipient’s life, but in making the world a more loving place!

Reading this makes me want to give more. It makes me think about individuals in my community who may be struggling quietly. Who may need me to buy their products although I really can do without.
It makes me more conscious of the quiet giving most ppl do.
Keep this going!

paperflowers

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:53 am
I usually give to my local Tomchei Shabbos and local hatzalah.

keym

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:10 am
I signed up at Gourmet Glatt in Lakewood for "Round it up" to Tomchei Shabbos.
Every time I do a shopping, the round it up to the nearest dollar and give the change to Tomchei Shabbos.
There's a number I can call to find out how much I donated. It's truly amazing how 34 cents, 63 cents several times a week really adds up to significant donations without impacting my bills.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics