Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Enamel caste iron pots

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:35 am
Everyone seems to have a great deal on inexpensive “ Le Creuset” style pots. Aldi’s has their own brand, Target, Macy’s (the Martha Stewart collection), Bed Bath & Beyond, Costco, Walmart….

What is the story? I have been cooking for many many years and never considered the expensive pots, but the alternative brands are so well priced and so tempting. Is it a style of pot worth investing kitchen space in and learning to use or why start now?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:55 am
I have IKEA cast iron skillet and a large stewpot with lid. The inside isn't enamel coated.
Cast iron is the best material there is and as it can stand heat you can fry in very high temperatures (think meat etc) that no other material can stand.
It's heavy and it's SUPPOSED to be heavy.
Only hand eashing! Never ever in the dish washer.
If you treat it acc. to instructions it lasts for years and years (and it will outlive your cheap flimsy nonstick pan big time)
I use it mainly for chulent casseroles meat etc.

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:01 am
If you are asking whether the Le Creuset style of enameled pots are a *good* thing - the answer is it depends. What do you cook and what kind of cookware you currently use.

They are absolutely wonderful for braising stuff like a brisket or a stew. This is because cast iron provides even heating so it is perfect for braising since all of the pan (not just the bottom) retains heat. Cast iron requires certain upkeep so the enamel makes it easier to clean.

Very good cookware like AllClad are fully clad - which is aluminum over a core of steel. The steel in the core provides good heat retention for even cooking and the aluminum cladding on the surface makes it easier to clean.

Moderately good cookware has only the bottom being steel clad with aluminum and this provides a relatively good pan for recipes that are sautéed on the stove top - you don't need the sides to provide the heat but you do want to get an even heat on the bottom for even cooking and to avoid burning food.

The piece of Le Creuset that is considered the most essential would be the "Dutch oven" since it is the one that would be used to braise either in the oven or on top of the stove. The second piece that is basic would be a fry pan since it would replace the standard cast iron fry pan and there are some recipes that do specify a cast iron fry pan for best results.

And of course both of these can be used for anything else but you don't necessarily need this for other dishes. For example, aluminum is a terrible material for good cookware but it is fine - and actually very good - for boiling large amounts of water for pasta because it is light and you are relying on the liquid and not the material of the pot for heating.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 4:03 pm
Cast iron is supposedly marvelous for cooking but what you pay for in expensive brands is usually prestige and advertising. Be aware that cast iron is very very heavy. I considered such a pot but was wise enough to try lifting it before buying. I could barely raise it empty; full of stew or whatever, I'd have needed a crane.And it wasn't even the biggest size. It was one of the smaller ones. Bye bye cast iron pot.

Also you usually can't kasher enamel-coated cookware. That alone is enough to make me avoid it. Not that I tref up cookware very often, but I'd hate to spend $$$$ on something and have to toss it because it couldn't be kashered.

One more point, people think these pots are indestructible, but it ain't so. Enamel chips and therefore needs to be cared for as you would care for Pyrex or ceramic. It's not like having a bare cast iron pot--which has its own problems, namely, rust, but which you could use as a self-defense weapon or boat anchor in addition to its usual purpose. Once an enameled or ceramic-coated pot chips, it's no longer safe to use for food. I have read that Le Crueset comes with a 99 yr or lifetime warrantee, so from that standpoint it may be worthwhile. Other brands may or may not have such warranties.

My personal choice is good-quality uncoated stainless steel for durability and ease of cleaning with either an aluminum or copper bottom or an aluminum core for even heat distribution.

BatyaEsther

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 4:17 pm
They are like $35 on Amazon today, their own brand. Aldi’s had a roaster for $25. I am not talking a huge financial investment. The question is will my food be better/easier to prepare. Why would I want one after many, many years of using Calphalon (mid priced nonstick) and 3 ply aluminum pots and baking chicken in Ancor Hocking and tin pans from amazing savings?

I feel like I should grab one but have no idea why or what to do with it. I have never traifed a pot-so I am not concerned, and at $35, it doesn’t not need to be something I leave to my children.

Do I want it?

Amarante

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 4:25 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
They are like $35 on Amazon today, their own brand. Aldi’s had a roaster for $25. I am not talking a huge financial investment. The question is will my food be better/easier to prepare. Why would I want one after many, many years of using Calphalon (mid priced nonstick) and 3 ply aluminum pots and baking chicken in Ancor Hocking and tin pans from amazing savings?

I feel like I should grab one but have no idea why or what to do with it. I have never traifed a pot-so I am not concerned, and at $35, it doesn’t not need to be something I leave to my children.

Do I want it?

At that price why not?

I upgraded my cookware after many years of using mediocre stuff. I originally had a set of mid level stuff but then I upgraded individual pieces when I needed a specific piece and also when they were priced well.

Do you mean the anodized aluminum Calphalon because that is thin. It is excellent as a conductor of heat but not as good for stews and braises and pot roasts. I have some of the anodized Caphalon and I like it for specific stuff. For example my big roasting pan is made of that and I like it because it is relatively light weight and cleans easily. However roasting is a different technique than braising because with a roast you are using the dry heat of the oven to cook the food so the conductivity of the pan doesn't matter as much.

If you never make brisket or a stew or other type of braised food in which the food is cooked for a long period of time then it doesn't matter. Just like if you don't do a lot of stir fry dishes you probably don't need a wok either.

Grandma 1

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:46 am
I got a set of Le Creuset pots as a wedding gift 54 years ago. I particularly love the frying pans. They are wonderful for frying eggs, latkes, etc. They can also go in the oven,for things such as a frittata, or to finish a steak if used for fleishigs. Yes, they are very heavy, though.
They have held up perfectly through all these years. I have no idea how good the cheaper brands are, but I would definitely say to take a chance.

scruffy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 1:06 pm
I am also eyeing enameled cast iron pots today. I did notice that some brands, like Lodge, have a bit of exposed seasoned cast iron at the rim. I assume that's a kashrus issue?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars