Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Areas in Israel for new olim to establish themselves
1  2  3  Next

isasternhill

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:48 am
I wanted to start this thread to help new people moving to Israel discover untapped areas that are easy for olim to integrate into. Cost is a major barrier to entry here and if we can all get together and share information on areas where more anglos are moving that don't cost a huge fortune, we can all help each other make the move easier.

Please post here if you know of an untapped area that has the following:
1) Infrastructure
2) Schools
3) An anglo community.
4) Welcoming shuls.

I would love to see what everyone shares here. Thank you!

Last edited by isasternhill on Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:23 pm
Quote:
3) Sports and nature, because let's face it, that is what most of us end up having to give up when moving here.

We have to give up on sports and nature when we move to Israel?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:32 pm
OP, hashkafah is something to take into consideration.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:33 pm
isasternhill wrote:
I wanted to start this thread to help new people moving to Israel discover untapped areas that are easy for olim to integrate into. Cost is a major barrier to entry here and if we can all get together and share information on areas where more anglos are moving that don't cost a huge fortune, we can all help each other make the move easier.

1) Infrastructure
2) Schools
3) Sports and nature, because let's face it, that is what most of us end up having to give up when moving here.
4) An anglo community.
5) Welcoming shuls.

Im going to assume that you dont live here yet, correct? It wasnt clear from your post. I say that because most places that have anglos are not going to be expensive. Thats just how it is. So when you say not a huge fortune, how much do you mean?
And Im with DrMom, I have not given up, nor do I know people who have given up, sports or nature. Obviously if you are living in a city you wont have as much nature, but over all? You couldnt be farther from the truth. And there are so many sports chugim for both adults and children going on in this country.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:35 pm
OP the first question is ''what is a price you can spend on a home''? If you are talking about 1.3million shekel you can find that in many neighborhoods up north. ( Katzrin, Maalot, Migdal Haemek - new apts. going up. Afula. if you have about 1.6 till 1.9 million shekel (still considered cheap in certain areas) you can buy a 2 or 3 bedroom apt. in RBS. They have a whole city of shops, eateries, schools, after school activities, adults teaching the boys sports in the afternoon. Many welcoming shuls in RBS. I assume also up north in Katzrin and Ma'alot. Small areas will notice someone new.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:45 pm
isasternhill wrote:

1) Infrastructure
2) Schools
4) An anglo community.
5) Welcoming shuls.

Giving up sports and nature? HUH??? You do know this is literally the land of nature tiyulim right? And the boys practically live on the soccer field?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 12:45 pm
OP, affordable and Anglo community is IMHO a kind of contradiction. It's well known that Anglo communities are in expensive like Raanana or Jerusalem.

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:16 pm
This is what you're looking for
https://www.nbn.org.il/community-guide/

And who gives up sports and nature to make aliyah?
The quality of life in that area is a million times better than most places that frum olim come from.
We hike so often. That would never happen in the US. I can literally view the shvil Yisrael from my window.

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:07 pm
I've never been there personally, but you may want to look into Harish (Charish?)

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:23 pm
Kochav Hashahar has all the things you're looking for - but the houses aren't cheap anymore. Like 3 million shekels for a private home.

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:25 pm
I LOVE the idea of several American families making aliyah together. The imported mutual culture helps soften the blows, and they can settle anywhere which is less expensive and has all the other things on your list - which is the majority of Israel.

juggling

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 8:40 pm
OP, I'm guessing your baseline is Jerusalem? Jerusalem is crowded and urban. It's also expensive. Look into and JLM suburb that suits your hashkafa, they are generally more affordable and with easy access to nature.

There's a reason many anglos go to RBS. At this point it's a full city with all services, lots of schools, etc. There are many English speakers. It's close to jlm and not far from tlv. And more affordable than either.

As far as affordability, though, everything in Israel is expensive relative to the US. The best you can do is either way up north or in an isolated area of the shomron. But really there are no bargains.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:51 pm
I think Rehovot is an untapped gem. They have 2 strong American kehillos, 1 dati and 1 chareidi. They also have a very strong infrastructure as a city. Can't help much with the nature, it's definitely city living.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:52 pm
I've heard mixed reviews about Karmiel but that seems like a possible option as well.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:06 am
I am assuming that giving up sports means giving up a variety of sports?

Because it is true that Israel is basically a scoocar country with a fringe of basketball.

I don't think a small group of Anglos going into a cheaper area can change that - the only places I know of with football or baseball leagues are jerusalem, RBS, and Rannana.

I think the biggest sacrifices that people need to make is in the housing department.
You will be sacrificing space if you sell a home in the states and use the funds to purchase a home here. Even far up north.

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:09 am
juggling wrote:
or in an isolated area of the shomron.

There are many WONDERFUL communities in the Shomron! But isolated really does mean far from services, and when you first make aliyah, you need to do a lot of office/bank/etc visits!

I recommend settling for the first year in, or near, Jerusalem or the Merkaz.

After that, once you feel that life and paperwork are somewhat in order, it can be lovely to move out to a small town with a warm community!

The only exception to this rule would be a group of families that come together in an organized fashion. Then at least some of the services can be brought to them, and they won't be alone to deal with all the snafus.

juggling

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:01 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
I am assuming that giving up sports means giving up a variety of sports?

Because it is true that Israel is basically a scoocar country with a fringe of basketball.

I don't think a small group of Anglos going into a cheaper area can change that - the only places I know of with football or baseball leagues are jerusalem, RBS, and Rannana.

I think the biggest sacrifices that people need to make is in the housing department.
You will be sacrificing space if you sell a home in the states and use the funds to purchase a home here. Even far up north.

Efrat and modiin definitely also have American sports for the kids.

Check out baseball.org.il

Agree as far as housing.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:45 am
juggling wrote:
Efrat and modiin definitely also have American sports for the kids.

Check out baseball.org.il

Agree as far as housing.

Didnt know about efrat and modiin but they fit as very expensive high density of anglo areas

Personally (charedi here) I like the fact that kids dont follow pr sports and think that is perfectly healthy to play soccer, basketball, and ride bikes - which is what the boys in my neighborhood do all day - without being part of real sport leagues or following pro sports, but I can understand that they can be important to some people.

I do think its pretty superficial to be that attached to baseball and football that they are a consideration when considering uprooting your entire life, but I never got sports....

Israelis (and europeans) are pretty soccer obsessed - all you can talk about for the past few weeks was the mondial - so its not like you have NO options, just different ones

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:52 am
Rappel wrote:
and they can settle anywhere which is less expensive and has all the other things on your list - which is the majority of Israel.

All of Israel is expensive compared to the states and dollar to square meter will always include a space downgrade (unless you are coming from a NYC or something)

I tend to think that finances even out in all areas except this one. Most people downgrade there living space or add money.

That was the hardest opart of our move

Traded a 2500 square foot home on an acre with a pool to a 120 meter duplex apartment with a 50 meter yard, and we needed to add money, and not in an expensive anglo area either.

Now I love my small house - so much easier to clean and maintain, but it was a hard adjustment for the kids initially, especially when the where adjusting socially and linguistically and living in tight quarters made it harder .

Rappel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:01 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
All of Israel is expensive compared to the states and dollar to square meter will always include a space downgrade (unless you are coming from a NYC or something)

I tend to think that finances even out in all areas except this one. Most people downgrade there living space or add money.

That was the hardest opart of our move

Traded a 2500 square foot home on an acre with a pool to a 120 meter duplex apartment with a 50 meter yard, and we needed to add money, and not in an expensive anglo area either.

Now I love my small house - so much easier to clean and maintain, but it was a hard adjustment for the kids initially, especially when the where adjusting socially and linguistically and living in tight quarters made it harder .

True. Considering the United States has millions of more acres of open land to choose from, the land price will be higher here (excepting NY folks).

However: since "ארץ ישראל נקנית בייסורים" is a natural law, I often thank G-d that we get to pay in money, and not blood, for the privilege of living in our homeland.

In the relative scheme of things, these are cheap prices for G-d's real estate.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions