Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How often do you go away for Shabbos?
Previous  1  2

How many Shabbosim per year do you go away?
0-2  
 52%  [ 119 ]
3-6  
 25%  [ 58 ]
7-11  
 13%  [ 30 ]
12-23 (at least once a month)  
 5%  [ 12 ]
24+ (at least twice a month)  
 3%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 226

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
In the course of a year, how many times do you go away for an entire Shabbos - whether to your parents, in-laws, siblings, friends, vacation, hotel program, simcha, etc.?

DH is a baal teshuvah with no frum relatives, and my parents are not well and almost never up for hosting. I have one relative we were very close with and used to go to frequently, but they made aliyah. We do go away for a couple weeks in the summer, but these days that's about it.

I also realize that as families get larger it's harder for hosts to have enough room for everyone, so if your answer has changed over time feel free to include that as well.

Maybe once in 4 years.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:45 pm
I have a special needs child, so when the agency that were affiliated with, makes a shabbaton once a year, we join. (If we can make accommodations for the children.)
Once a year, if a sibling makes shabbos Sheva brochos in a different town and we find sleeping accommodations, plus finding placement for the kids where to eat (they are never invited to the Sheva brochos for the meals), than I'd join.
We cannot afford a vacation getaway.

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:49 pm
I did the first option.
But we go to a bungalow colony(our own bungalow) and eat/ host others there
And one shabbos a year we go away with dh sibling and we each cook half the food.
We don’t go away to be hosted/ wined and dined…
Maybe once in every 3-4 years I’ve gone for a weekend getaway with just dh and bought food.
But I think you probably want to get a clearer picture and need to specify maybe only people in shana Rishona or first five years of marriage should answer or answer based on that time in their lives.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 7:59 pm
Never.

I'm a single mother and I am always home for shabbos

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:02 pm
I'm married under 5 years and we go to my parents about every other week. We don't have an eruv in our city and I don't know any neighbors so I get very lonely on Shabbos if I stay home. Being home alone with 2 toddlers the whole weekend drains me completely (DH has his own issues unfortunately), so this works well for us. I also need some socialization since I don't get it during the week.
I'm so grateful I have my parents in the same city.
We're planning on moving away in a few years and then we'll be staying home every week I'm assuming.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:26 pm
0-2. Last year I think once, when I went to Florida with my husband for the weekend.
I think that was it .
Sometimes we go to a hotel with friends.
Sometimes we go to a hotel with just the kids or just us.
Once in a while we have a simcha or a family get together.
But all of these scenarios combined still
Happen so rarely that we don’t usually go away more then once a year. Maybe not even that.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:46 pm
We usually go away for pesach, but just pesach, never any other YT or shabbos. Married 15 years and only made pesach three times, and I feel blessed that this was my situation all these years. The only other times besides this that I didn't need to make shabbos or YT in these 15 years is when there is a family simcha- like a shabbos sheva brachos or nephews bar mitzvah, which has happened about 10 times since we were married between mine and my husbands family. We do host and go out for some shabbos meals, but really not that often at all. I feel like I'm forever making shabbos. My parents can't host me for various reasons, and even when I go to them I end up making most of the food. Dont live near my in laws.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 4:03 am
Voted for 24+
We're married for just over a year with no kids. We try to do a rotation of where we are for Shabbat (once at home, once by each set of parents), which means we end up being out more often than we're home.

It always feels like a mini getaway whenever we spend Shabbat at home!

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:30 am
0-2. We go to my parents once a year and to my in laws once every few years.

I’m surprised at these responses because everyone irl goes away way more than we do.

star33

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:00 am
Not very often, I've always found it very draining regardless of kids
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note