Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Chanukah $ for teachers - Lkwd

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:01 pm
What's standard to give lower elementary girls teachers for chanukah? Was thinking a check and card but for how much? Also, is this in addition to whatever they collect for the class?

Same q for a playgroup morah

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 3:51 am
Following!

DVOM

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 4:22 am
We have this thread every year. Your going to get a huge range of responses.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 4:36 am
I give $75 per teacher if that helps you.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 7:04 am
A lot of this is very specific to the school you send to.
I have found that most schools collect at least for the teachers. Some parents also give their own gifts on top of that Chanukah time, and some only chip in and will give their own gift purim.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 7:22 am
amother OP wrote:
What's standard to give lower elementary girls teachers for chanukah? Was thinking a check and card but for how much? Also, is this in addition to whatever they collect for the class?

Same q for a playgroup morah

In my daughters school most just contribute to class gift and then give money on Purim (check)
Some send donuts etc for chanuka
For playgroup - if one morah I give 36-50 depending how much I think the morah puts in, needs it etc
If morah and assistant - morah gets 25 and assistant 18
Sometimes there’s a group gift for this as well…

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:05 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
A lot of this is very specific to the school you send to.
I have found that most schools collect at least for the teachers. Some parents also give their own gifts on top of that Chanukah time, and some only chip in and will give their own gift purim.

Do you happen to know the nuances of the different schools? Like maybe which the parents do both the group and individual?

If doing the group, how much does one give separately?

Also if anyone else can chime in about what they do (including for playgroup - morah and assistant) I'd really appreciate it!

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:14 pm
I'm an upper elementary school teacher in Lakewood. There's a big range. The school collects and then on top of that a number of parents give privately - anything from 2 donuts to $200+. If you can afford to give, give. It is so appreciated (and needed by most teachers!) Don't forget the card. Be heartfelt - teachers need the chizuk and it goes a long way.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:14 pm
For my girls in school I just chip in with the class and then give my own check for Purim.
For playgroup it depends. Usually there was no group gift. Sometimes I did a small gift certificate like $20 and sometimes nothing and just gave a few dollars more for Purim.
This year I think I’ll give a $20 cash to my two playgroup morahs. Can’t afford more and I think it’s better than giving a cookbook etc

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:17 pm
My family comes from a large variety of schools and pretty much all of them collect for girls and there are always a few individuals that will give in addition to that in every school, but for most schools I do not think the majority give their own cash gift this time of year.
Personally, I usually tried to give extra (usually 75) but some years I either couldn't swing it financially or I didn't feel like the teacher deserved that extra gift on top of the one I was already chipping in for (ducks from comments on this lol).
For the playgroup teacher since I pay them directly each month, if we chipped in together (and it was usually for more than they chip in for teachers) I did not necessarily give an additional gift, only Purim.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:25 pm
Well my daughter's playgroup Morah raised her price a ridiculous amount this year. She will get a thank you card.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:35 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
Well my daughter's playgroup Morah raised her price a ridiculous amount this year. She will get a thank you card.

How much? Wink
Nothing wrong with a ty card just curious about playgroup rate!
Feel free to ignore if it was rude to ask!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:39 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I'm an upper elementary school teacher in Lakewood. There's a big range. The school collects and then on top of that a number of parents give privately - anything from 2 donuts to $200+. If you can afford to give, give. It is so appreciated (and needed by most teachers!) Don't forget the card. Be heartfelt - teachers need the chizuk and it goes a long way.

If I can spend $15-20 what is most appreciated? Cash, gift card? Or is it better to give nothing if it’s such a small amount

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:40 pm
Usually there is a group gift. On the very rare occasions that there’s not I give $20. I do not give in addition to the group gift. I prefer to give for Purim and I’m not giving twice

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 6:49 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
If I can spend $15-20 what is most appreciated? Cash, gift card? Or is it better to give nothing if it’s such a small amount

$20 cash is great. So nice, actually!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics