Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would love to hear others opinions, especially teachers
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 11:33 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
this is why my daughter said "girls dont want to be teacher because by the time they leave school they are פארעקלט from them."

Ouch. As a teacher this hurt. Stop vilifying teachers, okay? The amount of time and physical + emotional energy that I put in to my students can't be quantified. I worry about them. I call their mothers. I speak to the principal and call the mothers again. I try this method and then that method. Did I reach her enough? Did I teach her enough? Should I make a big deal out of this or should I let it go? How will it affect her in the long run?
It's beyond any job. We're trying...trying...trying to teach enough (academics and general motivation and responsibility are sinking. We hold our students accountable for less every single year) and be kind and caring to the girls. There's a lot to balance. But nice to know that girls are פארעקלט from their teachers.

As for this issue, I mark kindly. But, as I mentioned above we're losing the idea of working hard and pushing ourselves to a goal. Generations change - that's okay, but letting everything slide in the name of kindness isn't kindness after all.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 4:31 am
You sent a note questioning the teachers mark scheme.
You didn’t like the response.
You followed it up with a phone call, and wonder why the teacher is irritated by you harping on about it.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:48 am
The teacher sets the test and can determine the way marks are scored.
If your daughter got 100 a few times then she's capable of doing the test this way. It will help her become more of a perfectionist with her spelling and sentence structure.
The fact that your daughter isn't bothered when she messes up shows me the teacher doesn't make a big deal of it if they make mistakes. She will learn to do better and as long as your daughter is capable of doing the test I can't see why you would make a big deal about this. You would do it differently, but I'm sure you would do a lot of things differently but you're not the teacher. I would say pick your battles, there are probably more important things to complain to the teacher about. And if there aren't, you are doing pretty well. Very Happy

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:27 am
It's a spelling test, she spelled the word wrong so it was marked incorrect. Why the debate and drama?
Yes spelling tests also have fill in the blanks.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:49 am
amother Ebony wrote:
It's a spelling test, she spelled the word wrong so it was marked incorrect. Why the debate and drama?
Yes spelling tests also have fill in the blanks.

Because it doesn't make sense to take off multiple times for the same word! If a word appears 4 times on the test, you think a student should lose 4x the amount of points for not knowing one word?!

Like I said before, my son spelled the word "sister" wrong (he used double s in middle of the word). His teacher deducted points once. Not double for misspelling the word on the dictated list, and in a sentence.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:55 am
amother Hosta wrote:
The teacher sets the test and can determine the way marks are scored.
If your daughter got 100 a few times then she's capable of doing the test this way. It will help her become more of a perfectionist with her spelling and sentence structure.
The fact that your daughter isn't bothered when she messes up shows me the teacher doesn't make a big deal of it if they make mistakes. She will learn to do better and as long as your daughter is capable of doing the test I can't see why you would make a big deal about this. You would do it differently, but I'm sure you would do a lot of things differently but you're not the teacher. I would say pick your battles, there are probably more important things to complain to the teacher about. And if there aren't, you are doing pretty well. Very Happy

Your second sentence makes so sense.

Firstly, it's not teaching the daughter anything. It doesn't sound like the test is even reviewed. OP said dd isn't bothered by it at all. She probably did not even take a second glance.

Secondly, spelling tests DO NOT improve sentence structure. I wrote about this in a previous post. If she spelled a word wrong, that has nothing to do with sentence structure! Do you know how to improve sentence structure? By teaching GRAMMAR- parts of speech, subject and predicate, fragments and run ons, punctuation etc. How many second graders know this?
It shows how little our teachers know about this topic when they conflate the two. It is wrong to assess sentence structure on a spelling test if you didn't teach it!

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:02 am
amother Royalblue wrote:
Because it doesn't make sense to take off multiple times for the same word! If a word appears 4 times on the test, you think a student should lose 4x the amount of points for not knowing one word?!

Like I said before, my son spelled the word "sister" wrong (he used double s in middle of the word). His teacher deducted points once. Not double for misspelling the word on the dictated list, and in a sentence.

It's up to the teacher how to grade her tests. Teachers aren't all the same.

My math teacher used to take off only one point from a test if we got the process of solving the problem right but miscalculated and came up with the wrong answer.
I'm sure some math teachers would be horrified to hear that.

Btw in no way am I saying that the teacher handled the phone call correctly. She was totally inappropriate and disrespectful to OP.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:51 pm
. As a teacher my follow up is- does the teacher explain the mistakes to the children? For example, do they know it was marked wrong because of the spelling but the way they used it was correct? That seems like a big issue. If not, the kids are getting mixed messages! If yes, then that’s just the way she grades and she’s not doing anyone too much harm by doing it, she’s just a hard grader. Some teachers just are.

That said, it sounds like the teachers reaction was totally out of line. If you can’t bear to explain simple questions about grading to parents, you probably shouldn’t be teaching little kids!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics