Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going back to school at age 35?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:24 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I think the difference between going to school younger vs. older is the question of return on investment. If you can easily afford it, great, and Dear Abby's advice is solid. But if you're taking on loans that will take longer to repay, or you're going into a field that requires considerable front loading (money, time, etc. that's very intensive at the start, such as fields with unpaid or low paid internships before or even after graduation), it's definitely responsible to consider how much you'll be able to recoup.

If it's for personal fulfillment and you can pull it off, awesome. But also keep in mind that traditional degrees, and the weight they carry, aren't what they used to be, and there are many ways to be successful in similar paths.

OP, I assume this is what you meant?

In any case, if you're motivated and going strong, 35 isn't too old. But it does carry a slightly lower ROI in some paths. For example, if you want a doctorate in philosophy, maybe think twice (the path to tenure in academia is fierce). But many other fields are totally doable.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks! Yes finances is my biggest concern. I have the passion, I’m good with people and very in tune with emotions. I have the time now. But like you said, I’m going to spend lots of money and start out with a very small salary I assume. Basically by the time I’ll graduate I’ll be marrying off my kids and we have no idea how we will afford it as is. I wish I did it sooner!
Can you elaborate on the bolded? I’d love to use my life experience to help others and also earn some money as I’m doing it. But I wish I can do it now. (Still hoping and praying that hashem will send us more babies in the right time so I might have to put schooling on hold. But also don’t want to sit and wait anymore)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:27 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
An associates degree is a two year degree. I Attended a local state school which is significantly cheaper.

What field do you work in with a 2 year degree?

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks! Yes finances is my biggest concern. I have the passion, I’m good with people and very in tune with emotions. I have the time now. But like you said, I’m going to spend lots of money and start out with a very small salary I assume. Basically by the time I’ll graduate I’ll be marrying off my kids and we have no idea how we will afford it as is. I wish I did it sooner!
Can you elaborate on the bolded? I’d love to use my life experience to help others and also earn some money as I’m doing it. But I wish I can do it now. (Still hoping and praying that hashem will send us more babies in the right time so I might have to put schooling on hold. But also don’t want to sit and wait anymore)

I'll be honest with you. From what I heard, as a therapist, you make more with a New York license versus New Jersey. (unless of course you do private practice, in which case you charge privately versus getting paid from the govt)

In the meantime, do you have a passion for lets say teaching? You can make alot per period...Private tutoring at home or in school maybe? you sound like you have a knack for working with people

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:57 pm
amother Aconite wrote:
I'll be honest with you. From what I heard, as a therapist, you make more with a New York license versus New Jersey. (unless of course you do private practice, in which case you charge privately versus getting paid from the govt)

In the meantime, do you have a passion for lets say teaching? You can make alot per period...Private tutoring at home or in school maybe? you sound like you have a knack for working with people

I taught for many years but I feel like I’d use my skills more working one on one with adults or teens. Or in a small group setting. When you have a class of 30 girls and only teach a 45 minute period at a time you don’t really get to connect with them. Although I did have a good relationship with the troubled kids and they still thank me many years later. Which is another push for me to go into the mental health field.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:44 pm
Maybe teaching for catapult or tender touch in small groups/one-on-one? I think they only require 60 credits.

You can go for mental health if that’s your passion, but understand you will need to do internships for free and won’t get paid decently for at least a few years after graduation.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:17 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Went back to school, for my own reasons . Got an associates degree in an allied health field. I loved school and generally love what I do. I have scant/no student loans to contend with and a wonderful fulfilling career.

Lemonchiffon, I’d love to hear more details!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Nov 26 2022, 9:10 pm
Gut voch! If mental health is your thing and you are considering a MSW, maybe a coaching program would be up your alley? I know they have Jewish ones, and also just certified coach associations within the US that are not Jewish. I think the association is called ICF. I know people will bash this and say it's not the same as a therapist, but in reality you could do the same work and it would be a shorter academic track. If you're interested in learning about mental health at the same time you could take online courses and start working towards your degree, just with less pressure and already earning money.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:18 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Gut voch! If mental health is your thing and you are considering a MSW, maybe a coaching program would be up your alley? I know they have Jewish ones, and also just certified coach associations within the US that are not Jewish. I think the association is called ICF. I know people will bash this and say it's not the same as a therapist, but in reality you could do the same work and it would be a shorter academic track. If you're interested in learning about mental health at the same time you could take online courses and start working towards your degree, just with less pressure and already earning money.

I was thinking about becoming a life coach but I’m a big coach basher irl lol and can’t bring myself to become one after telling everyone how I don’t trust coaches etc.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:06 pm
Bumping this up for more insight ideas and suggestions.
Basically I wouldn’t mind going back to school. I was a good student and enjoy learning and studying and opening up my mind to new concepts and ideas.
I just don’t have the money.
Time is also a factor since I do have the time for school but I really want to rejoin the workforce like yesterday so going to school for 3-4 years is a huge setback.
I can’t do both school plus work at the same time.
Oy if I would’ve had the seichel to go to school when I was single....

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:21 pm
My cousin went to medschool and he had a classmate who was 40.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Basically I wouldn’t mind going back to school. I was a good student and enjoy learning and studying and opening up my mind to new concepts and ideas.
Time is also a factor since I do have the time for school but I really want to rejoin the workforce like yesterday so going to school for 3-4 years is a huge setback.

OP ,I'm following you. Dont have anything useful to add, but you inspire me and maybe I'll get the impetus for further change as well...

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

Can't tell you if it's financially a good idea or not, but the most common way to pay for schooling is with student loans.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:38 pm
There is an online school called University of the People. It is accredited l, nationally I think, and is a candidate for regional accreditation. They charge $100 per class, andnit comes out to around $4,000 for a bachelor's degree. OP, you should look into it.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:42 pm
In 10 years you will be 45. Do you want to be a 45-year old who didn’t pursue this bec she was “too old” or do you want to be a 45 with this goal under your belt? Remember, you’ll be 45 either way.

penguin

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:10 pm
Also, you don't have to go to school full time. Try taking one course and see how it goes!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:32 pm
bruriyah wrote:
In 10 years you will be 45. Do you want to be a 45-year old who didn’t pursue this bec she was “too old” or do you want to be a 45 with this goal under your belt? Remember, you’ll be 45 either way.

You’re so right. I already wanted to go to school at 30 but I was like nah it’s too late. Could’ve gotten my degree already. (Also kept hoping I’ll get pregnant again but that’s a different issue )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:33 pm
penguin wrote:
Also, you don't have to go to school full time. Try taking one course and see how it goes!

I was thinking about this. I’m the type who has a very hard time getting started on something but when I do I give it my all and need to see it through no matter what.

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:29 am
If you don't have a bachelors reach out to Sara Schenirer they have some way to do a bachelors and masters simultaneously and get govt funding (grants).
Online programs are considerably more affordable but harder schedules because there are no breaks for yomtov and there seems to be a bigger focus on the advocacy part of social work than therapy. Although therapy is taught well also.
I know pple who did Rutgers online- its NJ based so you can get NJ specific grants.
There is also WNMU (Western New Mexico University) which from what I understand is the cheapest online degree for MSW.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 4:15 am
I am sure I have seen frum people offering career advice.

The good thing is you know what you want to do, you just have to find out how to do it.

I think 35 is a great age to start thinking about this. Hopefully you can be done studying and start working before you are 40, you then have 25 years to work before you retire. Just enough time to get burnt out lol!!

My mother worked in an academic field for many years, after she retired (at approx age 65) she studied a particular therapy which she practices now.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics