Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do u find all the "art project" shul womens events insulting
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:38 pm
Just stay home ifit doesn't meet your needs. Its a service you can make a choice in if you want to participate. Apparently there's crowd enjoying or they wouldn't do it.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:45 pm
I get what you are saying, when it's a social event it's never something exciting.

Most synagogues where I live have shiurim, but when it comes to social events for women it's always bakes and crafts and painting.

Would be nice if there was a book club, or a women's Zumba class, movies (clean) or something.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:47 pm
If you have other ideas pretty sure your shul would welcome your volunteering to put it together for all the women.
Shkoyach !

amother
Calendula

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 2:39 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
If you have other ideas pretty sure your shul would welcome your volunteering to put it together for all the women.
Shkoyach !

I was going to say the same thing. Most places (shul, school, community, or even some workplaces) would love if you would join or form a committee or organize events. Just having an idea that you are fond of would be a great start for most places that have no idea what women of the community want.

In many places - even if they dont advertise it for women, do have women join the shiurim. If you cant do that where you live, speak to your Rabbi / Rebbetzin to ask for specific shiur for women you are interested in that would interest others in your community. As one rabbi once told me, he is in the 'business' of attracting people to shul, if there was something that would bring more people in he does it.

DreamerForever

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 2:47 pm
Creativity is not childish.

I think the world would be a better place if people would allow themselves more creativity. The mind actually functions better when you give it that time to clear a little, and your body and emotions to take over the action.

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:01 pm
amother Aqua wrote:

Would be nice if there was a book club, or a women's Zumba class, movies (clean) or something.

So volunteer to start one. Don't curse the darkness; light a candle.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:10 pm
I don't find it insulting at all, I think it's so nice that there are events for women to meet and get to know each other. Having shiurim is important as well- there should be a balance. Also its the women in these cases who organize the events, it's certainly not the men who are thinking let's have a creative event for women! I'm sure you're shul would be happy for you to get involved and organize shiurim.
I also think sometimes people are willing to pay for an event where they feel they bring something home as opposed to paying to attend a shiur, and so they could cover the costs better or be a better fundraiser for the shul

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:19 pm
Which type of communities are all?

In my chassidishe circle, there is no such a thing as shul event for women. No social outlet unless organized by friends. This getting together sounds exciting!

Regarding the learning part, I bought a Chumash with translation, as well as a set of Naviim, and I read it every Friday/Shabbas. Cant get enough of it! It's so beautiful.

Good Friend

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:43 pm
I don't know if any of the shuls referred to above are Chabad houses, but in chabad houses it's very common to combine a creative activity with a shiur. I run a chabad house and that's how my programs for women are. I know they only come because of the activity, and don't have much opportunity to learn besides for these events, so that set up is geared towards the audience.
I guess those organizers of these activities believe that that's what their audience wants.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
candle making, plate decorating, menorah making, etc.

Sometimes I would like that
We have MANY shiurim for women
In depth Tehillim study
Sefer Shmuel and other Neviim
Parsha
Halacha
As well as a reading and tefillah class for beginners
We have classes in English, Spanish, Hebrew
As well as guest speakers in various topics
My Shul also has seperate teen learning groups, kids, etc.
Very community oriented
Is this only found OOT

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:51 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Sometimes I would like that
We have MANY shiurim for women
In depth Tehillim study
Sefer Shmuel and other Neviim
Parsha
Halacha
As well as a reading and tefillah class for beginners
We have classes in English, Spanish, Hebrew
As well as guest speakers in various topics
My Shul also has seperate teen learning groups, kids, etc.
Very community oriented
Is this only found OOT

In my OOT shul they advertised an 'advanced' tefillah class for women
So I thought that might be interesting
But it was a fluff class
I think 'advanced' meant they assume a FFB level of knowledge so don't have to define basic concepts/words

Sad

Now I know.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:57 pm
I’m sure you could find a chavrusa or more advanced level shiur on zoom
Hatzlocha

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:59 pm
Others have already basically said my opinion.

However the bottom line is that generally speaking, events happen because someone wants them enough to make them. So if you think your shul should offer more classes to women, line up a speaker, ask the shul folks (sometimes it's the rabbi, sometimes there's a coordinator) for use of space, and put out a flyer. Now your shul has classes. I can almost guarantee you that's how the paint night came to be. Not sure how imamother helps unless this is your form of market research somehow.

sara_s

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:16 pm
I love creative projects in shul events. It gives an opportunity to socialize, and I find the opportunity to use my creative side relaxing and fun.
I enjoy Shiurim also, but I guess the opportunity to make a project pushes me more out of the house when I'm tired.
Adding that I'm the academic type and I still never even thought to find art project events insulting. In hi tech companies in Israel they also organize paint parties and cooking workshops sometimes as a way to relax and have fun.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:23 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
In my OOT shul they advertised an 'advanced' tefillah class for women
So I thought that might be interesting
But it was a fluff class
I think 'advanced' meant they assume a FFB level of knowledge so don't have to define basic concepts/words

Sad

Now I know.

Exactly. No real classes that are actually for advanced women. Advanced (in my shul) means you can read Hebrew and know a little context (eg basic storyline of Chumash).

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:32 pm
Creativity is not childish, but when you think that a certain group of people are ONLY interested in candle making and knitting, I would say that people are making assumptions.

Everyone goes anyway not because they are super happy about the activity, but because they want to see people anyway.

It would be nice if they had more stimulating options.

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:39 am
If that were the only option - it would really annoy me. I like the balance of the social, the edible, and the learned in my evenings out.

The one time it really pushed my buttons was when a Rosh Chodesh Shvat event was all about flower decorating and mandalas, while the parallel men's event was advertised with real content. We're not part of that community anymore, but I think everyone thought that event was a miss, and they didn't repeat it.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:48 am
DreamerForever wrote:
Creativity is not childish.

I think the world would be a better place if people would allow themselves more creativity. The mind actually functions better when you give it that time to clear a little, and your body and emotions to take over the action.

yes, I color every day!
it soothes me and helps me start the next household chore.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:51 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
Which type of communities are all?

In my chassidishe circle, there is no such a thing as shul event for women. No social outlet unless organized by friends. This getting together sounds exciting!

Regarding the learning part, I bought a Chumash with translation, as well as a set of Naviim, and I read it every Friday/Shabbas. Cant get enough of it! It's so beautiful.

our kehilla (chasidish) has an annual womens winter melave malka just to get to know each other better, and a kiddush once a year (again to socialize).
why dont you speak to the rebetezin of the shul and organize it?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 11:24 am
I understand that ladies want them because after a long day with their kids and/or work, they want something fun to do. Not everyone woman wants to sit with an open sefer at night.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette