Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you're a school based therapist....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:44 pm
What do you do in the summer for work? My coworkers file unemployment but I don't think I am able to since I work part time as an independent contractor and I dont think you can file on a 1099...

I am (unfortunately) agency based. My school is closed during the summer and they don't have cases for me. Im assuming that an EI agency won't hire me to work for them just for 2 months in the summer? I do evaluations for one agency but I don't know if they need DOE evals during the summer.

Do therapists just not work in the summer?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:53 pm
I'm a therapist, and I usually have job offers for the summer (although to be honest, I don't usually take them because I don't want to work so much during the summer). Many centers and clinics (especially those that service children with autism) need therapists during the summer.

You don't need to stick with the agency who you work for during the school year. Call every agency and let them know you are available for the summer.

I don't remember exact details, but here are some job offers that I've gotten for previous summers:
Yeled once offered me approx 20 hours a week in one of their centers (I think canarsie)
Yeled once offered me approx 3 days a week in their BP center
Comprehensive once offered me 4 days a week in a public school that has summer sessions

If you are flexible about location, and you network a lot, then you should find something .

I also know some therapists take jobs in day camps/bungalow colonies/sleep away camps. So they don't work as a therapist during the summer but still earn a paycheck

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:58 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I'm a therapist, and I usually have job offers for the summer (although to be honest, I don't usually take them because I don't want to work so much during the summer). Many centers and clinics (especially those that service children with autism) need therapists during the summer.

You don't need to stick with the agency who you work for during the school year. Call every agency and let them know you are available for the summer.

I don't remember exact details, but here are some job offers that I've gotten for previous summers:
Yeled once offered me approx 20 hours a week in one of their centers (I think canarsie)
Yeled once offered me approx 3 days a week in their BP center
Comprehensive once offered me 4 days a week in a public school that has summer sessions

If you are flexible about location, and you network a lot, then you should find something .

I also know some therapists take jobs in day camps/bungalow colonies/sleep away camps. So they don't work as a therapist during the summer but still earn a paycheck

Thanks. Yeah, I worked for a different agency last summer then my regular yearly agency. Yeled was only able to give me 13 hours last summer. Wasnt worth it by the time I got my paycheck with driving into BK, paying a babysitter etc....

Do you know names of any centers or clinics I can reach out to? Or any idea of how else I can network?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:02 pm
My sons reading group teacher in 1st grade was the school SLP. She was great. Lots of kids get summer tutoring maybe thats something to look into. Especially for kriah and reading. He made more progress with her then the resource teacher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics