Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
If you've done sukkah foil stars in the past:

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 6:41 pm
We call it shterns which mean stars in English. These foil stars that need to be cut using a pattern and then assembled to be hung in the Sukkah. First of all, is it still a thing to do? Or is it out of style already? I'm thinking of starting one I bought a long time ago. But I'd like to know if it matters if the papers aren't folded exactly 100% even on all edges. Because for some reason I can never get that right. Is it gonna make the star look really not nice ? Or is it barely noticeable?

Genius

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:45 pm
Folding the shtern paper evenly is the ticket to a nice shtern. The open edges don't necessarily have to align perfectly, but all other edges should be as perfect as possible.
I don't know how much of a "thing" it still is. היינטיגע דורות...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 7:55 pm
Genius wrote:
Folding the shtern paper evenly is the ticket to a nice shtern. The open edges don't necessarily have to align perfectly, but all other edges should be as perfect as possible.
I don't know how much of a "thing" it still is. היינטיגע דורות...
I hear... I sat down to start it before. I'm really enjoying it and finding it really relaxing! Guess I'll keep going..

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:08 pm
I make one every year in the 9 days.
Try to fold as even as possible.

Use paperclips to hold it in place, and use a pencil on the back side to mark to see if it’s even.

Don’t be afraid of refolding if you didn’t get it right the first time.
Even if it gets many creases.

You can straighten the star when it is done under a table cover or under a glass table cover.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:02 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
I make one every year in the 9 days.
Try to fold as even as possible.

Use paperclips to hold it in place, and use a pencil on the back side to mark to see if it’s even.

Don’t be afraid of refolding if you didn’t get it right the first time.
Even if it gets many creases.

You can straighten the star when it is done under a table cover or under a glass table cover.
I'm finding the cutting very relaxing. I just hope I'll be able figure out how to assemble all the layers. I didn't fully understand the instructions

erm

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:56 pm
Not sure why it would make difference if it is something people still do. There is no rules about how your sukkah needs to be decorated. I make them every year with my kids before sukkos. It brings back memories of when I made them with my mother.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:47 pm
I used to make them with my grandmother and would love to make them with my kids but I don’t remember the exact instructions.
Can somebody please share?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics