Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Parenting Teens course?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 5:05 pm
Can anyone recommend one they've taken that was really good?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 28 2022, 9:34 am
Anyone?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:37 am
Wow, I’m surprised at the lack of responses. There are so many parenting courses for children. Why are there none for teens??

nnmom

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:43 am
Maybe try changing your title to Parenting Teens instead of teen parents. Sounds like you are looking for a course to teach teens to parent

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:50 am
nnmom wrote:
Maybe try changing your title to Parenting Teens instead of teen parents. Sounds like you are looking for a course to teach teens to parent

Lol ok thanks

amother
Caramel

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:51 am
I'll bite. I took one, but I didn;t think it was anything special, so I am not recommending it! I got a lot more benefit from developing a relationship with a Rav who knows me and knows my kids that could give me eitzah. And davening for success with my kids.

eta: I didn't think the course was BAD or anything, I just didn't think it was anything special. At this time in my life (with teens), I get a lot more out of working on myself and hoping that I can be a good influence on my teens. And asking a lot of questions to daas torah.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:42 am
amother Caramel wrote:
I'll bite. I took one, but I didn;t think it was anything special, so I am not recommending it! I got a lot more benefit from developing a relationship with a Rav who knows me and knows my kids that could give me eitzah. And davening for success with my kids.

eta: I didn't think the course was BAD or anything, I just didn't think it was anything special. At this time in my life (with teens), I get a lot more out of working on myself and hoping that I can be a good influence on my teens. And asking a lot of questions to daas torah.

Thank you so much, that's a valuable point about having a Rav/mentor to guide you through!

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:00 pm
There are supposed to be good books on this topic. Not sure which ones though.

taketwo

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:17 pm
If you're already having issues with a teen I would rather recommend one on one parenting guidance from a therapist. Even better if the therapist is specialized in parenting/education.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 2:07 pm
taketwo wrote:
If you're already having issues with a teen I would rather recommend one on one parenting guidance from a therapist. Even better if the therapist is specialized in parenting/education.

Huh? I'd also like a good class on parenting teens. Not because I'm having any major issues with my teens, but because I'd like to explore the topic and parent intentionally. And because I'm realizing that this whole parenting thing changes as your kids grow to this point, and it requires a different attitude and different methods. I read some great books and listened to some great lectures on parenting when I was just starting out, and those really helped shaped me as a parent up until this point. I just want the next level of that.

Not everything requires therapy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 2:57 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Huh? I'd also like a good class on parenting teens. Not because I'm having any major issues with my teens, but because I'd like to explore the topic and parent intentionally. And because I'm realizing that this whole parenting thing changes as your kids grow to this point, and it requires a different attitude and different methods. I read some great books and listened to some great lectures on parenting when I was just starting out, and those really helped shaped me as a parent up until this point. I just want the next level of that.

Well said!

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:05 pm
I would look into collaborative problem solving. I find for my almost teenager its been great. My kids school also really is into this.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:09 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I would look into collaborative problem solving. I find for my almost teenager its been great. My kids school also really is into this.

That sounds good. Is there a particular resource on this you’d recommend?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:15 pm
Rebbetzin Spetner, and a few people who teach her method have a teen course, but you have to first take the basic fundamental course before the teen one.
I highly recommend her methods.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 3:51 pm
I read the explosive child book. He also has a book for typical children called Raising Human beings. There is a great website called livesinthebalance.org. The parent section has good resources.

I live in Chicago and the Associated Talmud Torahs runs periodic classes on the method. I went to one with other mothers from my kids school. I found it really useful.

taketwo

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 5:25 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

There's a reason I wrote IF.

I dont have any recommendations for parenting course specific for teens but I did want to add that individual therapy can be very helpful if you have current issues with a child. Again, if. When you take a parenting class you are learning overall techniques which in reality may not work, since these things may differ on a case by case basis.

I have no idea why people are so sensitive to the word therapy. There is no shame in getting parenting advice directly for your child. Chanoch lnar al pi darkoh, means for each child you may need a different approach.

Op didn't specify that she is just looking to improve her parenting and didn't specify that she is having a specific issue either. Hence my IF post..

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:40 am
Sora Jaroslowitz has a teen book/cd. I didnt like all she said, but enough guidance to help me help my teens navigate the hardships of teenaging.

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:43 am
I took a course by Blimie Heller on connection and while it's not geared to teens, wow did it change my relationship with my teens BH. The skills I embraced have been life changing BH.

seeker

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:21 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
There are supposed to be good books on this topic. Not sure which ones though.

Real oldie but I think still goodie (only started reading it but so far so good) even if just for the title alone: "Get out of my life, but first can you drive me and Cheryl to the mall?"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics