Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Monthly Grocery expenses- family of 7
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:30 am
Really appreciate everyone who took the time to respond. This was a very helpful gauge for me.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:42 am
amother Feverfew wrote:
We're a family of 7 kah in Lakewood. Oldest is 9. I estimate about $1,700 a month on groceries. Maybe more. We don't eat fancy, it just adds up a lotttt.

Same

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:59 am
Family of 7. We spend around 2400-3000. Includes all toiletries and cleaning stuff. We live in BP.

alwaysbhappy

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:33 am
Family is 8. About$1200 not including toiletries... Only food items. We don't eat out .
Oldest is 12, probably another $300 on toiletries/diapers, wipes...

mizle10

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:57 am
Family of 7, at least $3000. Canada.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:12 pm
Family of 6 about 1500-1800 a month. Oldest is 11. It also makes a difference if kids get school lunch. Etc.
I make everyone lunch every day.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:15 pm
I still don't understand how posting how much people spend on food without any kind of context provides any kind of useful information.

Not that I am suggesting it but what would theoretically be helpful is if someone posted their food expenditures - family size and makeup - income - lifestyle (working or SAH) and then posted menus for a week.

That would indeed provide some kind of information on how people actually use their food money.

There is a website which posts money diaries of different people every week and it posts relevant background information - I.e salary, age, jobs etc. It also posts every single expenditure and explains why it was made - if they bought food for meals and obviously includes all expenditures not just food.

While there is obviously an element of voyeurism, that kind of money diary at least enables one to see how similarly (or differently) situated people budget

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/money-diary

amother
Trillium

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:46 pm
We are a family of 7 in Lakewood. Older teens and young elementary school. I'd say we average around $1,800 - 2,000 per month in groceries and household items. I splurge on ready-checked lettuce and bottled dressings to make it easier for me to be health-compliant. Otherwise, we try to cut costs by serving eggs or tuna or milchigs twice a week. The other days we'll have cutlets or chicken/beef mix and bone-in chicken for Shabbos. Roasts or full ground meat are for special occasions or yomtov. When the kids were younger, we used to buy pizza once a month for rosh chodesh. We just buy here and there now, its not like we never ever get it, its just not regular. No one seems to care all that much about it. The kids are older so they like to go out with friends to eat once in a while and I'm happy to pay for them. They aren't the type who eat out all the time, thankfully. No idea how ppl afford that... We try to buy on sale and be careful to eat leftovers (me & DH!). Everything's really gone up so much its crazy.

greengrapes

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:53 pm
Family of 7. 6 adults 1 kid. Must be close to 1,000 a week. Grocery bills are killing me

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:29 pm
Family of 10 about $650/week on groceries not including diapers and toiletries etc.

It's so weird that at this point chicken/meat is so expensive that if I buy a small roast on sale and shred it over potatoes, it's cheaper than a dinner of schnitzel or even stir fry.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:11 pm
I live in Israel with seven people home most of the time. I probably spend about 4,000 a month yes I mean dollars. Can someone so definitely higher especially if you figure medication.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:08 pm
Family of 7, 5 children ranging from toddler to teen and our average on just food is around 1500.
I like to shop wisely and do lots of produce shopping in aldi, I also do a lot of cooking and homemade shabbos foods and dips so im sure that saves us plenty too. We have proper flieshig meals every night with a fresh salad.

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:36 pm
Family of 7
Brooklyn ny
1400-1600 month

No babies-diapers

some more variables to consider for monthly grocery expenses.

-Teens and adults eat a LOT more.
-family members on diets cost more
-does your school/childcare serve bfast and lunch and snacks?
-Also food prices sky rocketed in recent months.

Eggs are between 4-6.50 a dozen now!!!!

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:41 pm
Just want to say, this thread is really making me feel less guilty. Dh keeps saying that grocery bills have to come down and since I'm the one that does the grocery shopping its hurtful to feel judged by him... Knowing that ppl spend much more makes me realize this is the norm... I don't have to feel so guilty.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:13 pm
Yes I see I’m spending a normal amount, about $1500 for family of 7 (including groceries). It’s very helpful to know.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:23 pm
Family of 8, but only 7 eaters. (One is a nursing baby.) Other kids range from toddler up to teens. My kids are big eaters. I aim for only one fleshig meal a week, two if you count the "leftovers from Shabbos" meal. The rest are milchig or pareve. Everything is so expensive right now, and we're really feeling it. We live OOT, for what that's worth.

I used to be able to keep it to under 200 a week. Now I'd say 250 a week on average, and that's with me being even more careful now. Not counting diapers, paper goods, etc., just food.

RandomJewishmom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I see I’m spending a normal amount, about $1500 for family of 7 (including groceries). It’s very helpful to know.

I actually dont think it's normal. I think it's very LOW! Do you not get snacks, vegetables, lots of milk and eggs, chicken and fish? Cleaning supplies and paper goods? Some frozen food like pizza or french fries?

I have no idea how so many people spend only $1200 a month for 7 people.

Good for you! Don't feel guilty. Many people spend way more (maybe we eat more?) (are we maybe hungarian??)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 1:05 am
RandomJewishmom wrote:
I actually dont think it's normal. I think it's very LOW! Do you not get snacks, vegetables, lots of milk and eggs, chicken and fish? Cleaning supplies and paper goods? Some frozen food like pizza or french fries?

I have no idea how so many people spend only $1200 a month for 7 people.

Good for you! Don't feel guilty. Many people spend way more (maybe we eat more?) (are we maybe hungarian??)

Thank you!

Ohhh you reminded me I bought a lot of aluminum pans, cereals and snacks in advance (before yashan started) so I guess it’s closer to $1700 on average.

But I remember when I was spending about $800-1000/month a few years ago and my husband kept telling me it’s very high. So $1500 felt like way too much.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:29 am
amother Obsidian wrote:
Family of 7
Brooklyn ny
1400-1600 month

No babies-diapers

some more variables to consider for monthly grocery expenses.

-Teens and adults eat a LOT more.
-family members on diets cost more
-does your school/childcare serve bfast and lunch and snacks?
-Also food prices sky rocketed in recent months.

Eggs are between 4-6.50 a dozen now!!!!

This is insane Mad
Food was always more expensive in Israel but when *eggs* which is a true basic item is the double and more than israeli price something is very wrong!

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:52 am
450$ a week, 1800$ a month for our family of 7. We're 2 adults and 5 kids, but 2 of the kids are adult size teens with adult size apatites.

I'm sure I could easily spend double this amount. Food is frighteningly expensive. You'd think with a budget like this I'd be filling my cart with take out and fine chocolate, eating steak once or twice a week. Noooo. This is a fruits and veggies on sale from the 'past prime' section and store brand ketchup budget.

We love to host and have lots of Shabbos meal company. I've started inviting for Shabbos lunch only, where challah, chulant and salads is a decent, respectable meal (plus yummy and filling!). Hosting Friday night, with chicken and meat, would be a fortune.

I worry.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics