Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
I hate the sponsored post titles
Previous  1  2  3  Next

synthy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:52 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
So people won’t give to the cause because the process of fundraising is humiliating? It’s terrible-both the Tzara, and the humiliation; but not giving because of that sounds like adding insult to injury.
The point wasn't not to give, she was asking why we won't give unless the recipients let themselves be stepped on. I honestly didn't understand the point of the article, maybe it was a rant against the fundraisers.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:55 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Same. It makes me think it’s a fake joke . I never even open them.

Maybe if you would open some of them, and see the videos of a mother pleading for her family, or little children looking so sad and broken etc, you wouldn’t necessarily feel they’re all fake jokes.

(Also, sometimes I see what is clearly translation from Hebrew to English wording, which makes things sound wordy and over the top.)

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 8:59 pm
I think it’s because people dislike feeling like a marketers object of manipulation. These ads are very obvious and non disguised marketing ploys which angers people. You really think you can manipulate me?

Marketing only works when people are unaware of the fact that they’re being marketed to.

foreverforward

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:01 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I get so annoyed. Maybe there should more life insurance adds and then we will see less Yasom headlines

I agree with everything said in this thread. But making belittling the fact that there are yasomim is disgusting. My problem is when people blow things out of proportion. NOT when people die Can't Believe It

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:09 pm
One line that I’ve seen a couple of times, does make me scratch my head; “The Kalla can’t even afford to buy a wedding gown.”
Many people don’t. Aren’t there plenty of Gemachs for that?
Other than that though- some of the ads are really heartbreaking.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:10 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Maybe if you would open some of them, and see the videos of a mother pleading for her family, or little children looking so sad and broken etc, you wouldn’t necessarily feel they’re all fake jokes.

(Also, sometimes I see what is clearly translation from Hebrew to English wording, which makes things sound wordy and over the top.)

My father died when I was a child, he didn't have life insurance and we were left virtually penniless. Bh some amazing people raised money for us and that's how we survived.

I don't need to see the videos or pictures, I lived that life. And I still think it's ridiculous.

Every time I see one of those campaigns I thank Hashem that our tragedy was in the days before the internet. I can't even imagine what that must feel like. Even if you try to tell me that most of them feature hebrew speaking families and they will never see it. What happens in a few years when these kids are grown and find these horrible videos of themselves at the worst time of their lives.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:14 pm
amother Purple wrote:
I think it’s because people dislike feeling like a marketers object of manipulation. These ads are very obvious and non disguised marketing ploys which angers people. You really think you can manipulate me?

Marketing only works when people are unaware of the fact that they’re being marketed to.

This.
And besides I'm totally desensitized to the terrible tragic situations people who through by now, seeing so many one after another. And that's even worse.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:17 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
My father died when I was a child, he didn't have life insurance and we were left virtually penniless. Bh some amazing people raised money for us and that's how we survived.

I don't need to see the videos or pictures, I lived that life. And I still think it's ridiculous.

Every time I see one of those campaigns I thank Hashem that our tragedy was in the days before the internet. I can't even imagine what that must feel like. Even if you try to tell me that most of them feature hebrew speaking families and they will never see it. What happens in a few years when these kids are grown and find these horrible videos of themselves at the worst time of their lives.

I do agree they are degraded in the process, which is terrible. But I disagree that they’re mostly fake. There are a lot of real tragedies.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:17 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
What I hate even more is that I'm somehow on their emailing list. So I get emails that have common first names as the sender, then these horrible subjects. It's given me a scare many times. Like, say my best friend's name is nechama. On my phone notifications I'll see an email from "nechama" and the subject will be "My husband is dead!!!! What will I do????" And so on. It's terrible.

I unsubscribe from these email lists and if they keep sending emails, I block them. Try that.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:26 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
So people won’t give to the cause because the process of fundraising is humiliating? It’s terrible-both the Tzara, and the humiliation; but not giving because of that sounds like adding insult to injury.

That's part of what I hate about these campaigns. So manipulative - darned if you do or if you don't.

I try to donate to general campaigns instead. I'll send my tzedakah to Yad Batya or the like, and then the kallah who blah blah can go to the organization which knows how to vet the stories and provide the aid in an organized manner.

I don't want to support slimy fundraising but I also don't want to be desensitized to a Jew in need. These marketers are putting us in a very sorry situation.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:38 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I do agree they are degraded in the process, which is terrible. But I disagree that they’re mostly fake. There are a lot of real tragedies.

The tragedies may be real, but I done believe for a second that the family is getting the money being raised.

Unfortunately I have family who had a fundraiser and they didn't see a penny.

So yes I feel that are fake campaigns.
Capitalizing on others tragedies:(

And yes, it's so so triggering.
I wish these ads wouldn't be allowed, just like a fungal toe nail ad isn't allowed.

I understand the need for Ads to run this site, but not this click bait.

rmbg

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 9:39 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
On me, it has the opposite effect than was intended. I tune out overly dramatic things like that.

Same. I don’t even open them

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:46 pm
amother Lilac wrote:

I believe that they're real. But this is a horrible, degrading way to collect for them and it just adds to their trauma.

There have been many threads here about this in the past. And each time the vast majority of posters agree that they don't donate to such campaigns. I don't know why they continue running them.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:58 pm
rmbg wrote:
Same. I don’t even open them

Don't open them either.
Don't get me wrong, I can bh give tzedakah. I just don't like these fundraising.
I'd much rather give my classmate who's collecting for her cousin, (r my cousin that's collecting for her classmate(- gave both this week!) or donate to some organization that really helps people...

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:03 pm
It's a business. Someone is paid to create these ads. They're being paid to create the most pulling titles that will make people give tzedaka to the cause. Are they doing a good job of it? I don't know, not my business.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:38 am
We don't give tzedaka to most organisations but we give to individual people.

We've seen too much.

Especially here in Eretz Yisroel, they take advantage of people's naivity and and trust in the Rabbonim.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:39 am
amother Opal wrote:
The tragedies may be real, but I done believe for a second that the family is getting the money being raised.

Unfortunately I have family who had a fundraiser and they didn't see a penny.

So yes I feel that are fake campaigns.
Capitalizing on others tragedies:(

And yes, it's so so triggering.
I wish these ads wouldn't be allowed, just like a fungal toe nail ad isn't allowed.

I understand the need for Ads to run this site, but not this click bait.

What do you mean they didn't see a penny?

So why did they let them use their name?

Is it legal?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:53 am
amother Bone wrote:
What do you mean they didn't see a penny?

So why did they let them use their name?

Is it legal?

I hope it's not common, but there have been instances where a person who feels they need tzedakah for whatever reason, who will capitalize on a tragedy by making a fundraiser ostensibly on their behalf.

Their justification (when they give one) is that the zechus of enabling tzedakah for the poor fundraiser goes to the suffering family.

They will sometimes put down names of Rabbis who supposedly endorse the campaign but in reality never heard of it.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:56 am
amother Lilac wrote:
One line that I’ve seen a couple of times, does make me scratch my head; “The Kalla can’t even afford to buy a wedding gown.”
Many people don’t. Aren’t there plenty of Gemachs for that?
Other than that though- some of the ads are really heartbreaking.

as someone deeply involved in tzedakas to answer your question Gmachs can cost money and you also need alterations. there is no wedding gown less than a thousand shekel. some people do not have that.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:57 am
amother Lilac wrote:

we do online campaigns often and they are never fake
I edit the text and we never put pictures. I hate the overly dramatic...
I think it's disrespectful.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media