Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Vent: I miss food stamps.
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:22 pm
One of the greatest gifts that food stamps gave to me was the ability to buy food with no guilt. Because that money could not be used to pay tuition, rent, utility bills, or buy socks.

It was great to get off food stamps because it meant we were making too much money!

But now we are very tight. And it is so, so hard to buy food knowing that it is putting us deeper into debt (well over $50,000 and counting). So the house is getting emptier and emptier. I am the pickiest eater in the house (thank You Hashem for that) so I'm probably suffering the most here.

I get anxiety when the house is not well-stocked with food (thanks Covid for that, there was a while where flour, sugar, eggs, pasta, and canned food were barely available in my city) but now I just can't afford to restock.

Every meal now requires creativity, but unsurprisingly my creativity drops when I'm on edge or hungry.

And now even if $2,000 falls into my lap, I *still* won't be able to use it to restock the house with plenty of food. Because there is technically still some food in the house, and the other bills take priority.

I miss food stamps.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:24 pm
What happened to your food stamps?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 4:29 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
What happened to your food stamps?

We make too much. Food stamps don't take tuition into account.

And our older kids have to learn OOT because no local frum high school, so they aren't counted as family members anymore for the purpose of food stamp eligibility.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:00 pm
I know exactly what you mean.
We had food stamps and it was such a lifesaver.
Now I only have one eligible child but I still have a houseful of kids either in yeshiva or college who don't qualify.
We tried to apply but we make $200 too much and no way to reduce it.
It is so frustrating.
I miss them also.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

And our older kids have to learn OOT because no local frum high school, so they aren't counted as family members anymore for the purpose of food stamp eligibility.

hmmm my kids learn out of town too but since we are paying for their tuition and board we are still supporting them as far as government benefits are concerned. (no food stamps where I live, but other stuff) Are you sure this is a food stamp rule or did you just assume so? Its not like they have been adopted or fostered by another family.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:03 pm
Raisin wrote:
hmmm my kids learn out of town too but since we are paying for their tuition and board we are still supporting them as far as government benefits are concerned. (no food stamps where I live, but other stuff) Are you sure this is a food stamp rule or did you just assume so? Its not like they have been adopted or fostered by another family.

They don't eat meals in the house so they are not counted as family members for the purpose of buying food. That is what the caseworker told me.

hodeez

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:05 pm
I so didn't want to take my current job because it would kick us off of food stamps. But I rationed that I can grow with this company and hopefully one day make enough to not feel bad when shopping. Hashem should help us all

amother
Blue

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:16 pm
Just curious, how do you woman feel about the thread where the person was buying rib steak and other expensive meat with her food stamps?
Well OP who was getting food stamps is happy for her.

I want to ask what rib steaks are. I B”H have never qualified for gov. assistance, but in 20+ years of marriage have never bought them or anything else that wasn’t basically $6.99/lb or less (and I don’t mean chicken cutlets at $6.99).
On my way home from work I will be going to Costco to buy chicken thighs for Shabbos. They require quite a bit of cleaning but are <$2.50/lb. It’s a good thing I never taught my children that not eating chicken on the bone is an option.

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They don't eat meals in the house so they are not counted as family members for the purpose of buying food. That is what the caseworker told me.

Um...not sure why you felt the need to mention that to your caseworker. I would try to reapply and count them in. They are still technically part of your household.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:25 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Just curious, how do you woman feel about the thread where the person was buying rib steak and other expensive meat with her food stamps?

I posted there. I am happy for her.

I remember when we first got approved (over a decade ago). We were approved retroactively for a few months so we had THOUSANDS of dollars available for food. I totally went overboard at first. It was such an incredible feeling to go from rationing fruit to being able to afford yogurt and berries and chicken cutlets.

We had to slow down of course, but I am sincerely happy that people are able to buy food without worry. That when someone is hungry they have available food that they like and in plentiful quantity.

We don't live in a frum community so we have to go into the city to stock up periodically (when we can afford it). If rib steaks had been our date night treat, I would totally have bought a huge quantity on sale and kept it in my freezer for the next six months. (The last time I bought steak was when my teen asked for it for just her for her birthday, and it was minute steak.)

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:27 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
Um...not sure why you felt the need to mention that to your caseworker. I would try to reapply and count them in. They are still technically part of your household.

Sorry, I really don't feel comfortable lying. She did tell me I could re-add them temporarily when they are home for long breaks or in the summer.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:34 pm
I feel you. Lately my fridge has been pretty empty. I only buy what I really need. It's sad.

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 5:40 pm
We also used to have but we got off them. I wish we still had them. $600/week on food and I pretend we have the money for it.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:03 pm
My teen asked me today why I haven't restocked since pesach. She says she is often hungry and can't find what to eat. I didn't know what to answer her Crying she has alot of stomach issues so she can't eat alot of the cheaper foods.
The only way I'm affording food at all at the moment is putting most of it on the grocery bill, buying the bare minimum to get by, and rationing the food at home.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This doesn’t feel right.

It’s true that you shouldn’t be getting food stamps for them. Because they aren’t eating at home.

But, they should count toward your eligibility. Because you are still supporting them.

Do you have a welfare assistance organization where you live? Or can you talk to a few more caseworkers? I think your caseworker is confusing eligibility with food stamps amount.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, May 25 2022, 6:11 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
My teen asked me today why I haven't restocked since pesach. She says she is often hungry and can't find what to eat. I didn't know what to answer her Crying she has alot of stomach issues so she can't eat alot of the cheaper foods.
The only way I'm affording food at all at the moment is putting most of it on the grocery bill, buying the bare minimum to get by, and rationing the food at home.
No tomchei shabbos in your area? Sad

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:19 am
amother Crimson wrote:
This doesn’t feel right.

It’s true that you shouldn’t be getting food stamps for them. Because they aren’t eating at home.

But, they should count toward your eligibility. Because you are still supporting them.

Do you have a welfare assistance organization where you live? Or can you talk to a few more caseworkers? I think your caseworker is confusing eligibility with food stamps amount.

I gave up and applied today again. They told me that the kids learning OOT don’t count as household members. Sad

She checked with the manager about this. Oh well, Hashem will have to find another way to help us. Still it’s hard.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:33 am
amother OP wrote:
One of the greatest gifts that food stamps gave to me was the ability to buy food with no guilt. Because that money could not be used to pay tuition, rent, utility bills, or buy socks.

It was great to get off food stamps because it meant we were making too much money!

But now we are very tight. And it is so, so hard to buy food knowing that it is putting us deeper into debt (well over $50,000 and counting). So the house is getting emptier and emptier. I am the pickiest eater in the house (thank You Hashem for that) so I'm probably suffering the most here.

I get anxiety when the house is not well-stocked with food (thanks Covid for that, there was a while where flour, sugar, eggs, pasta, and canned food were barely available in my city) but now I just can't afford to restock.

Every meal now requires creativity, but unsurprisingly my creativity drops when I'm on edge or hungry.

And now even if $2,000 falls into my lap, I *still* won't be able to use it to restock the house with plenty of food. Because there is technically still some food in the house, and the other bills take priority.

I miss food stamps.

You’re not alone we had food stamps zero debt now I’m deep in debt no food stamps food is a fortune we shop around for cheaper but I’m not ready to sacrifice food yet. I never bought extras on food stamps but I was able to buy what we need easily. And the debt is real

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:11 am
amother Ginger wrote:
I know exactly what you mean.
We had food stamps and it was such a lifesaver.
Now I only have one eligible child but I still have a houseful of kids either in yeshiva or college who don't qualify.
We tried to apply but we make $200 too much and no way to reduce it.
It is so frustrating.
I miss them also.

If you will get MORE than $200 in food stamps, it would be worth asking for a $200 reduction in salary (if there is no other way) and reapply!

amother
Peony

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:18 pm
I was deeply grateful for our food stamps, but even more grateful when I got a job where I no longer needed them, even if it makes things tight. I’d much rather be independent.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics