Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Pls help! Prospect Park of Monsey and Ohr Reuven

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:44 am
We are looking to move to Monsey and need to apply asap for schools for next year.

Can anyone describe to me the parent body of Bnos Leah Prospect Park of monsey, and also Ohr Reuven? If you send there or know someone who does, can you share your experience?

We are “just plain frum”, baalebatish professionals with young kids. Looking for a school with open minded hashkafos, stable solid parent body, and well rounded curriculum.

If there are any other Monsey schools you think would be a good fit, especially boys schools, please share. I heard that a new boys school was opened last year by a former rebbe of YSV, does anyone have info on that?

Also, can you share if the youngest grade for these schools are Nursery or Kindergarten? Thank you!!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:21 am
amother OP wrote:
We are looking to move to Monsey and need to apply asap for schools for next year.

Can anyone describe to me the parent body of Bnos Leah Prospect Park of monsey, and also Ohr Reuven? If you send there or know someone who does, can you share your experience?

We are “just plain frum”, baalebatish professionals with young kids. Looking for a school with open minded hashkafos, stable solid parent body, and well rounded curriculum.

If there are any other Monsey schools you think would be a good fit, especially boys schools, please share. I heard that a new boys school was opened last year by a former rebbe of YSV, does anyone have info on that?

Also, can you share if the youngest grade for these schools are Nursery or Kindergarten? Thank you!!

Ohr reuven is amazing. Small, homey, and the rebbeim truly care about chinuch. Chanoch lenaar al pi darko is an understatement. The parent body is a mix of mainly just plain frum, with some yeshivish and some more modern, and my husband pointed out that he thinks the criteria for accepting is that the parents be very friendly and down to earth, "even the rich ones" lol. By back to school night recently I was looking at all the parents...so many different types and styles of dress and no one cares what youre wearing or gives you a second glance. There were women with short shaitels, women with long shiatels, women with headscarves, men in white shirts and jackets, men in rugged work clothes and I mean literally no one gave a second glance at anyone. Very friendly, non judgemental crowd.

As far as school hashkafa itself-its right wing but openminded. TV is discouraged, but instead of telling the parents "no movies ever, no internet use ever, its treif etc" they say "if you know your child will watch a movie, this is a website that you can look it up to see if its clean or not. If you have internet at home, this is our advice for keeping your children safe" (they do require that you have a filter on decices, but they dont push a specific one)

I love sending my boys there because aside from the warm vibes, the willingness to work with us with our son's idiosyncrasies and needs, the strong emphasis on middos and derech eretz first, and the huge Machshiv Torah attitude, I love that they are exposed to a range of children, and see that klal yisroel does not look like one specific cookie cutter shape. Most boys have short peyos but some have longer and once in a while a more chassidish looking child. You have boys who have no idea what football is, and certainly dont know the names of players, and you have boys who live and breathe sports and discuss it. Some boys dont watch any movies or screen time, others play video games on play dates.
But as a rule these boys are from good strong homes, with wonderful values.

Its a really beautiful school, BH.

(I almost didnt send there because im more right wing and someone warned me its "not a very yeshivish school". Boy am I glad I didnt listen to her. Its a yeshivish school that simply dumped all the stupidity and is left with being normal

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:57 am
Following

amother
Peru

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:52 am
amother Gold wrote:
Ohr reuven is amazing. Small, homey, and the rebbeim truly care about chinuch. Chanoch lenaar al pi darko is an understatement. The parent body is a mix of mainly just plain frum, with some yeshivish and some more modern, and my husband pointed out that he thinks the criteria for accepting is that the parents be very friendly and down to earth, "even the rich ones" lol. By back to school night recently I was looking at all the parents...so many different types and styles of dress and no one cares what youre wearing or gives you a second glance. There were women with short shaitels, women with long shiatels, women with headscarves, men in white shirts and jackets, men in rugged work clothes and I mean literally no one gave a second glance at anyone. Very friendly, non judgemental crowd.

As far as school hashkafa itself-its right wing but openminded. TV is discouraged, but instead of telling the parents "no movies ever, no internet use ever, its treif etc" they say "if you know your child will watch a movie, this is a website that you can look it up to see if its clean or not. If you have internet at home, this is our advice for keeping your children safe" (they do require that you have a filter on decices, but they dont push a specific one)

I love sending my boys there because aside from the warm vibes, the willingness to work with us with our son's idiosyncrasies and needs, the strong emphasis on middos and derech eretz first, and the huge Machshiv Torah attitude, I love that they are exposed to a range of children, and see that klal yisroel does not look like one specific cookie cutter shape. Most boys have short peyos but some have longer and once in a while a more chassidish looking child. You have boys who have no idea what football is, and certainly dont know the names of players, and you have boys who live and breathe sports and discuss it. Some boys dont watch any movies or screen time, others play video games on play dates.
But as a rule these boys are from good strong homes, with wonderful values.

Its a really beautiful school, BH.

(I almost didnt send there because im more right wing and someone warned me its "not a very yeshivish school". Boy am I glad I didnt listen to her. Its a yeshivish school that simply dumped all the stupidity and is left with being normal

I'm fortunate to be an Ohr Reuven parent and I second this. Its an amazing, warm Yeshiva and there's a real sense of caring for every child as an individual.
I will add though that most boys do follow sports and / or watch movies, however I feel like the vast majority, if not all, come from healthy families and it's not an issue.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:08 am
You can PM me and I can share more about the girls school.

Mushkygold

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:12 am
I know a few moms who have boy in Ohr Reuven. All super happy there.

susanstohelit

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:44 am
Please make sure to only get information about Prospect from CURRENT parents. It experienced some serious changes between last year and this year.

For what it's worth, I've only heard good things from current parents. Lots of kids from young families in Pomona and Haverstraw, among others

Mother14

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 5:27 am
I just want to reiterate to only speak to current parents. The school went through some changes and parents who left can't speak for what Prospect is currently. I send my daughter to Prospect and am so happy there. It's a warm and loving school. From your description it does sound like you would fit in with Prospect. Also, many families who send their daughters to Prospect send their boys to Ohr Reuven. Happy to discuss more in PM.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics