Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby screams when I leave the room
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 4:57 pm
I understand it's a developmental stage but how am I supposed to go to the bathroom or get anything done???

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:00 pm
mine too. I cant do a thing.... I didn't think there was a solution but I'm eager to hear if anyone has any tips.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:02 pm
You just do it. Tell the baby what you're doing, and come back when you can. Being responsive to baby doesn't mean baby is never allowed to scream.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:28 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
You just do it. Tell the baby what you're doing, and come back when you can. Being responsive to baby doesn't mean baby is never allowed to scream.

I sort of understand that for going to the bathroom (if it's quick)
Now what about making supper for example do you have the baby in the kitchen with you emptying the cabinets and finding iwy things to eat or do you leave them with their toys and let them scream or perhaps you have an even better solution I haven't thought of
It's so hard to hear them cry and know that they feel abandoned Sad

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:33 pm
I got clasp things to lock my cabinets and let my baby be in the kitchen. I don't have gross things on the floor- once she tried to eat a raw potato, but didn't get very far. I'll put her in her highchair if I want to be really productive. Usually give her a kitchen "toy"- mixing cup or plastic whisk, etc

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:46 pm
Get cabinet locks and bring baby in the kitchen. I don't know what food they are eating off the floor, but you could sweep up any yucky stuff from the floor. Give a toy to play with.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:49 pm
Baby plays with garbage sticks hand deep under cabinets and oven and just managed to find things, also it's a small apartment so baby will wander to other rooms and then I'm in middle of cooking and need to check up on baby (maybe I should try screaming when baby leaves lol)
I've been convinced that baby containers of any sort are terrible so I really have nothing besides a high chair but maybe I should get some sort of swing or something

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Baby plays with garbage sticks hand deep under cabinets and oven and just managed to find things, also it's a small apartment so baby will wander to other rooms and then I'm in middle of cooking and need to check up on baby (maybe I should try screaming when baby leaves lol)
I've been convinced that baby containers of any sort are terrible so I really have nothing besides a high chair but maybe I should get some sort of swing or something

I don't know who's convincing you of such nonsense but safety is always first. Get a gate and make sure you have a safe area where baby can explore without problems. Also, when you let them cry a little bit they'll get used to it and basically stop crying or decrease. No, they won't feel neglected, they will learn throughout the years that the world doesn't revolve around them.
You're not leaving baby alone in the apartment to go out. You're making food so there's something to eat.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:59 pm
I haven’t had a baby in almost 2 decades, but I believe if they are big enough to go from room to room independently, they are way too big for a swing.

What does your baby normally do? How long do you spend in the kitchen? What is your layout? Can you sing and talk to the baby?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:59 pm
I do have a safe area but not in the kitchen area
How long until they get used to and stop crying?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:04 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I haven’t had a baby in almost 2 decades, but I believe if they are big enough to go from room to room independently, they are way too big for a swing.

What does your baby normally do? How long do you spend in the kitchen? What is your layout? Can you sing and talk to the baby?

Ok maybe I haven't actually looked into any type of swings I figured there was a large variety

Baby normally plays happily in a safe area in the living room with toys while I do my own thing but if dare leave the room it's less then 3 seconds before the loud bawling starts and doesn't stop until I come back in and comfort even if I sing and talk from the other room
In general baby is so easygoing it's just this new thing I can't figure out

English3

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:05 pm
Usually I sing to them or talk to them to get them to calm down. You didn't write what age but generally I work with them in the room.

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:06 pm
My baby is 13 months and not only does she scream when I leave the room, she screams when I put her down. She is so heavy and difficult to hold a whole day. I'm losing my mind.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I sort of understand that for going to the bathroom (if it's quick)
Now what about making supper for example do you have the baby in the kitchen with you emptying the cabinets and finding iwy things to eat or do you leave them with their toys and let them scream or perhaps you have an even better solution I haven't thought of
It's so hard to hear them cry and know that they feel abandoned Sad

That’s when wearing comes in handy.

4g01o

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:14 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
My baby is 13 months and not only does she scream when I leave the room, she screams when I put her down. She is so heavy and difficult to hold a whole day. I'm losing my mind.

Same Sad
He's 14 months knh. He's not so heavy for his age, but I can't hold him all day!
I also have things to do. Sometimes I just take him to the toilet with me because I can't stand to leave him to yell.

shaqued_almond

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
I do have a safe area but not in the kitchen area
How long until they get used to and stop crying?

Baby will decrease crying probably within 2-4 weeks but they'll really get over it when they start to walk, and they'll be even better being left with a preschool say, around age 3.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:46 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:
I don't know who's convincing you of such nonsense but safety is always first. Get a gate and make sure you have a safe area where baby can explore without problems. Also, when you let them cry a little bit they'll get used to it and basically stop crying or decrease. No, they won't feel neglected, they will learn throughout the years that the world doesn't revolve around them.
You're not leaving baby alone in the apartment to go out. You're making food so there's something to eat.

Nope. Baby won’t get use to it. That’s similar to the mindset of some sleep training advice.

It’s a tough stage. Sometimes when your stuck she will cry. As much as possible include her in what your doing, let her come with you and you kind of have to ride out this stage. The more responsive you are to her in the long run it will be worth your while in emotional stability and security.

amother
Lightgray

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:02 pm
my baby is almost 9 months and he wants to be held most of the day. if he's ever content on the floor and I dare leave this vicinity he freaks out. sometimes I let him cry for a bit but it feels awful and idk if it'll help or harm in the long run.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:08 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
my baby is almost 9 months and he wants to be held most of the day. if he's ever content on the floor and I dare leave this vicinity he freaks out. sometimes I let him cry for a bit but it feels awful and idk if it'll help or harm in the long run.

This is me for the last while. It kills me. Makes me feel bad but I have things to get done!!

lucky14

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:18 pm
(Btw these are all just suggestions for you to try to make it easier. No way am I saying oh if you just do these things it’s no big deal… I’m sure it is super annoying to never have a moment without someone wanting to be right there next to you no matter how much you love your baby!)

Get a baby gate so he won’t wander out of the kitchen. Put toys on the floor. I put like some random plastic food storage containers, a whisk, a mixing spoon, a pot, measuring cup, etc down for him to play with. Not the same items every time so it’s different. He likes to shake the soup mandel container. I keep some cabinets unlocked and let him pull items from them (I would rather he be busy and happy and have to clean up the mess after than bored and pulling on my skirt while I’m making dinner). Lock your garbage can so he can’t get into it if that is an issue.

I’d he eats food from the floor he will hopefully be ok. It happens. Yes of course try to prevent it but I wouldn’t say that’s a reason not to have him in the kitchen with you.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics