Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Bottles toddler

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:13 am
My 18 mo drinks water from a sippy cup but will still have whole milk in a bottle during the day when he wakes up in the morning and after his nap in the afternoon. He’s so grouchy when I try to skip it. Is there any reason to wean off of these two bottles during the day?

hodeez

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:17 am
Why skip it it's providing important nutrients. I would just try to change the bottle to a cup with straw or sippy cup.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:23 am
hodeez wrote:
Why skip it it's providing important nutrients. I would just try to change the bottle to a cup with straw or sippy cup.

I believe it's the sucking that calms the child down. Switching to a cup won't give him the same soothing effect.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:40 am
Try the munchkin 360 miracle cup. He is old enough to not do the bottle and this is a good transitions cup

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:01 pm
Thank you all, I think light blue is right that it’s about the sucking. I’ve tried so many kinds of sippy cups and he’ll take one sip and throw it (and stay grouchy). Is there any reason to use a transition cup for milk if he already knows how to use one for water? Is it about the learning how to use a cup in general (which he already does) or about never using bottles?

Thank you so much all for your replies!

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:20 pm
It's really ok. I've had kids doing with milk bottles past toddlerhood & others that never took a bottle. As long as it's not in bed & he can drink from a cup when necessary it's really a non-issue. It's like their coffee Wink

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:57 pm
Does he need the milk for nutrition purposes?
I would put milk in sippy cup at meal times and only water in bottle.
Let him have a bottle of water as long as he wants! He'll drop it eventually!
Tell him that the bottle of milk is bad for his teeth but it's not a problem if it's water. He'll still get the sucking part!

Phoebe31

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:25 pm
Doctors nowadays recommend babies be off the bottle by a year old, he will be grouchy because it's a comfort item but it is best to wean now and not have a 2 year old who is super attached to the bottle. Does he take a pacifier?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:47 pm
Thanks! Yes he does take a pacifier but I had been trying to have him only use that when he sleeps so if I let him have it when he’s awake, he won’t want to take it out. I feel like with the bottle, it’s two minutes and then done, you know?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:47 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Does he need the milk for nutrition purposes?
I would put milk in sippy cup at meal times and only water in bottle.
Let him have a bottle of water as long as he wants! He'll drop it eventually!
Tell him that the bottle of milk is bad for his teeth but it's not a problem if it's water. He'll still get the sucking part!

Creative!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 5:48 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
It's really ok. I've had kids doing with milk bottles past toddlerhood & others that never took a bottle. As long as it's not in bed & he can drink from a cup when necessary it's really a non-issue. It's like their coffee Wink

I obviously love this answer Smile

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:21 pm
it's fine

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:36 pm
I also have this problem with my 19 mo old, but with nursing... basically weaned but whenever I don't nurse when waking... and he won't take a bottle instead (probably better this way though)

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:58 pm
Phoebe31 wrote:
Doctors nowadays recommend babies be off the bottle by a year old, he will be grouchy because it's a comfort item but it is best to wean now and not have a 2 year old who is super attached to the bottle. Does he take a pacifier?

I have a 2 yr old playgroup for the last 20yrs and I never had a kid that was super attached to the bottle! (paci is a different story although nobody walks around with a paci in playgroup! Wink )
I'm not at all convinced that water bottles cause any kind of issues!

zebra111

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:54 pm
My 2.5 yr old still 'just' had a bottle when he woke up. He went to the dentist this week who found 3 holes the because of their location he said was from these bottles. Be super strict on teeth brushing if u carry on

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:33 am
zebra111 wrote:
My 2.5 yr old still 'just' had a bottle when he woke up. He went to the dentist this week who found 3 holes the because of their location he said was from these bottles. Be super strict on teeth brushing if u carry on

Oh wow! Thanks

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:37 am
I have this issue too, except she still needs the formula for nutrition, so I can't just say she'll drink what she drinks from the cup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics