Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Best durable, full size, stroller for stairs. Help a FTM

aysheschayel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:28 am
First time mom over here overwhelmed by my options. I live in a house that has many stairs to the entrance.
I've been getting convinced to get the bugaboo fox. Does anyone have good experience with the fox and stairs?
I need something with good wheels and durability yet lightweight.
Also considering: cybex priam, bugaboo lynx, nuna mixx. Open to hearing other options!
Thanks in advance!

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:34 am
Anything with large rear wheels will be easier to bump up and down stairs. Small wheels will catch on the steps and need to be dragged up more. Realistically, the handlebar is more likely to break faster because of it though. Both the bugaboo fox and cybex priam have good rear wheels for this. I would look at those 2 from the list you've suggested. I personally like the priam better as the seat lies flat, rather than the fox which doesn't.
Are you mainly using your stroller for walking, or will you be putting it in the car? Only because none of those options are great for cars. They're quite big and bulky for folding and unfolding.
Do you have another way into the house? I remember one house we looked at and we were going to wheel the stroller round the side of the house and through the back as it had so many stairs at the front.

thepickled

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:27 am
Durable with big wheels usually also means heavy. It’s a catch-22. I have the Priam and while I love it, it’s not lightweight. I imagine the Bugaboo is similar. The wheels help bounce it up the stairs but it’s still a workout to pull it up. I would look for something more compact and lightweight but still with decent wheels - maybe like an Uppababy Cruz, Bugaboo Bee, or Cybex Mios.

thepickled

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:29 am
You could also go for something very lightweight like a Yo-yo that you carry over your shoulder with your baby in the other arm. No strollers are built for repeatedly pulling up a lot of stairs, it will be very heavy for you and also wear the stroller down.

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:34 pm
thepickled wrote:
Durable with big wheels usually also means heavy. It’s a catch-22. I have the Priam and while I love it, it’s not lightweight. I imagine the Bugaboo is similar. The wheels help bounce it up the stairs but it’s still a workout to pull it up. I would look for something more compact and lightweight but still with decent wheels - maybe like an Uppababy Cruz, Bugaboo Bee, or Cybex Mios.

None of those have large enough wheels that you can pull it easily up stairs. You would be better off getting a very light stroller that could be carried.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:41 pm
bugaboo lynx is very lightweight! (about 20 lb it has a smaller frame than fox so ez to maneuver as well.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 2:45 pm
Is there anywhere you can store the stroller instead of taking it up and down the stairs?

aysheschayel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:10 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
Anything with large rear wheels will be easier to bump up and down stairs. Small wheels will catch on the steps and need to be dragged up more. Realistically, the handlebar is more likely to break faster because of it though. Both the bugaboo fox and cybex priam have good rear wheels for this. I would look at those 2 from the list you've suggested. I personally like the priam better as the seat lies flat, rather than the fox which doesn't.
Are you mainly using your stroller for walking, or will you be putting it in the car? Only because none of those options are great for cars. They're quite big and bulky for folding and unfolding.
Do you have another way into the house? I remember one house we looked at and we were going to wheel the stroller round the side of the house and through the back as it had so many stairs at the front.

I like that the priam lies flat as well and I also like the general look of the priam more, but is it true that the quality of the bugaboo is much better?
No other way into the house unfortunately so stairs it's gonna be.

aysheschayel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:16 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
bugaboo lynx is very lightweight! (about 20 lb it has a smaller frame than fox so ez to maneuver as well.

Not a bad idea. Are the wheels as good as the fox? Am I compromising on a lot by not getting the fox for a few pounds?

aysheschayel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:17 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Is there anywhere you can store the stroller instead of taking it up and down the stairs?

It's a brownstone style house so stairs are to the front door

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:37 pm
aysheschayel wrote:
Not a bad idea. Are the wheels as good as the fox? Am I compromising on a lot by not getting the fox for a few pounds?
The wheels are a bit smaller but hard to notice. the seat is the same. people like the lynx better because if feels more compact. I don’t have the fox but the lynx pushes amazing. Before this I had another expensive brand full size stroller and I sold it for this and was the best decision. Nothing compares to bugaboo engineering.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:44 pm
I had an uppababy Vista in Israel and it did amazingly on stairs.

Used it with stairs (part of the time with 2 kids in it!) And it's in perfect condition. (It's definitely used, but it works perfectly. All the bouncing didn't hurt it at all)

sweet

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:45 pm
Im an uppababy fan all the way personally.
I would go with that over a bugaboo..
I had a bugaboo for my first few kids, and then gave it away. And bought my second uppababy a few years ago.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:40 pm
I would do an UPPAbaby Vista. It's not light but it's very solid. I've bumped it up many NY steps.
When the baby is older go for something very lightweight that you can hold while they walk up the steps or even in the other arm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics