Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Submit original passport documents by mail?!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:36 pm
Is it just me that gets very nervous from these things?
I need to process a name change due to marriage. Passport website says you need to do this by mail by submitting your original name change documents (marriage certificate, for me probably also original marriage and divorce papers since this is my second name change and I needed to provide both when updating my driver's license because they got all mixed up, don't ask...) along with your original passport of course.

I don't trust USPS not to lose these things and it will be a massive headache to replace! Is there an alternative? I tried making an appointment to have the documents processed at the post office, which I'm doing for my kids anyway because kids can't renew by mail, but it didn't let me because if you're eligible to do it by mail then you CAN'T do it in person.

Is there another way that isn't a gigantic headache?

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:37 pm
You don’t need to change your name on your passport until the passport expires.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:40 pm
Send it priority mail with tracking. And include another envelope inside for the return shipping.

Oldest

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:55 pm
Even if you go down to the office, the documents will be sent via mail to the main headquarters and back to you...
If you're that nervous (which I totally get) then send it through Priority mail and get a tracking number

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:01 pm
Yeah that’s how it works.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:01 pm
No, the applications at the office (first time applications and children) they don't take the original birth certificate to mail out, they certify that they saw it and give it back to you, IIRC. That's what the appointment and the $35 processing fee is about.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:10 pm
amother Grape wrote:
You don’t need to change your name on your passport until the passport expires.

I'm not entirely sure this is accurate and could not find any confirmation on the us.gov website. I don't want to run into issues when I travel if I have different identities going on. I updated my driver's license and social security card pretty easily and I think everything should match or you're asking for trouble.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, the applications at the office (first time applications and children) they don't take the original birth certificate to mail out, they certify that they saw it and give it back to you, IIRC. That's what the appointment and the $35 processing fee is about.

Nope. We made passports for our kids just last week. They take all of the original birth certificates.

synthy

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:13 pm
I lost my marriage certificate when I sent it in to SS to have my name changed. When they finally admitted they don't have it, it was more than a year since I got married so they wanted me to mail in not just my original marriage certificate, but also original ID. Yeah, sure. I'd rather stay with my maiden name.

emom1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

No they mail the original documents together with the application and it gets mailed back to you.

emom1

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate and could not find any confirmation on the us.gov website. I don't want to run into issues when I travel if I have different identities going on. I updated my driver's license and social security card pretty easily and I think everything should match or you're asking for trouble.

Changed name on all my documents except for my passport and traveled a few times already. Never had any issues. You just have to book tickets on the name that is on your passport.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:22 pm
I omce had to mail in my social security card for a passport renewal (I think thats what it was) and they lost it.

pause

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:34 pm
I make copies of the documents before I send them.
I figure it's better to have something than nothing. BH I got them back, so I don't know if my copies would have been helpful in the event that the originals would get lost.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 8:38 pm
I ordered a second original for all my kids birth certificates so I have it in case mail in ones get lost. I think those were the only documents I had an option of getting another original.

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:04 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Nope. We made passports for our kids just last week. They take all of the original birth certificates.

Yes we also recently made passports and they send in original documents . They tell you to make copies of all documents.
I dont have my ss card but bh I know my number by heart . I hope I won't ever need the card
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics