Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o After school
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:37 pm
Quote:
He usually goes to bed between 7:30 -8.

Maybe DS is going to sleep too late? He usually heads to bed 8:15-8:20 and is sleeping around 8:45

I wake him around 7:40am, we leave the house 8:15 for school. So he's getting 11 hours sleep. Is that not enough?

cupcake123

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quote:
He usually goes to bed between 7:30 -8.

Maybe DS is going to sleep too late? He usually heads to bed 8:15-8:20 and is sleeping around 8:45

I wake him around 7:40am, we leave the house 8:15 for school. So he's getting 11 hours sleep. Is that not enough?

It sounds like enough sleep but if you have to wake him maybe he can use more? My son wakes up earlier (on his own) like 7 am so he's getting the same 11 hours as yours is...

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:33 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
It sounds like enough sleep but if you have to wake him maybe he can use more? My son wakes up earlier (on his own) like 7 am so he's getting the same 11 hours as yours is...

Agree ( I have this age). Try for a 7:30 bedtime & a long bubble bath with toys starting an hour prior. (showers are great in a hurry, but baths are great time fillers & to help kids relax & unwind). It won't hurt him to wake up earlier.

You can also have him join you in dinner prep- clear & set table, bread chicken pieces etc

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quote:
I guess my boys are not real boys because they love arts and crafts?

Seriously, this is what your picking on from my post? Can't Believe It
I was trying to explain my son's personality - not insult anyone else's boys

No offense, but maybe he has picked up on your attitude and disdains arts adn crafts and other 'girly' activities?.

My son is a 'real boy' (we hired a mohel to prove it) and he loves drawing.

I am pretty sure I am a real girl and I love lego.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:22 pm
Quote:
No offense, but maybe he has picked up on your attitude and disdains arts adn crafts and other 'girly' activities?.

He doesn't get it from me. I actually went to art school and have a degree in the arts Laugh my girls are super artistic and are doing crafts all day. It's just not his thing. He's one of those boys that was always into lego, building, trucks, balls, and extremely active. Sitting and doing arts and crafts is just not his thing

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:01 pm
I’ll be the unpopular one here: screen time. Lots of it.

Oh sure, he also plays with Lego, reads on occasion, plays with blocks, wanders around. But in the winter we do lots of screen time.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:13 pm
Op, I get you. My ds is the same as yours and I struggle to entertain him every afternoon in these winter months. His homework takes 2 minutes, supper is 5 minutes, and then what? I make him study the משניות he learned and say some תהלים and he gets an incentive for that. Otherwise, he’s bored to no end.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:23 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I guess my boys are not real boys because they love arts and crafts?

👏 My seven-year old real boy loves arts and crafts too. LOL

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Quote:

He doesn't get it from me. I actually went to art school and have a degree in the arts Laugh my girls are super artistic and are doing crafts all day. It's just not his thing. He's one of those boys that was always into lego, building, trucks, balls, and extremely active. Sitting and doing arts and crafts is just not his thing

You can be active and do arts and crafts and be a “real” boy. My seven-year old boy climbs trees, runs around but also can sit and do arts and crafts for ages. You can say your son isn’t into arts and crafts, doesn’t mean artistic boys are not “real” boys.

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:27 pm
Raisin wrote:

My son is a 'real boy' (we hired a mohel to prove it) and he loves drawing.

I am pretty sure I am a real girl and I love lego.

👏 Queen LOL

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:08 pm
Are there any after school activities you can sign him up for? My kids have two a week. Art and mixed martial arts. Plus there’s mishmar Thursday nights, plus I hired a kriyah tutor for my son and they talk on the phone for 30 mins twice a week. Evenings here are too short! Everything takes ages. I try to also take my kids to the library, food shopping etc if I feel like there’s my time to fill.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:21 pm
Ok, thanks for all the responses, I'm not sure I got too many ideas, aside for trying to have him do arts and crafts that he's not interested in.
I was trying to explain my son's personality - sorry for offending anyone while I did it.

I will have to agree with the posters that pointed out that some kids need more entertainment and more ideas to keep busy - which is exactly what I'm trying to figure out.

I can't change his schedule and make his school day longer, I can't make kids his age suddenly move to the block, I can't change the dynamics of my entire household so that supper, baths and bedtime take longer than they do. And unfortunately I can't afford after school activities

I'm bowing out now

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:38 pm
Take him out or sign him up for after school classes. My kids are very active and not into art. There’s karate, swimming, indoor sports, library (sometimes there are group activities there), gymnastics, put on music and have them sing, dance, do excercise, cooking, ice hockey, walk around a mall or store like Walmart, learn an instrument and practice it, have a game night. Just some ideas. There’s also places he might be able to volunteer (putting together food packages or at a local animal shelter or something like that) .Hope it’s helpful.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 11:12 pm
Having hard time with my 8 year old. Has big age gap to sibling that goes to sleep early. He is so bored. We have lots of toys and games bh, ,but he's not interested. He has from 4:40 till 8:15, it's a lot of time. Supper does not take him much time...

I would love to sign him up for something. Anyone knows what I can do in Monsey for him? He learns all day, I don't want anything academic. I don't drive, so that's an issue. I would love to have a bocher come down to my house and do a craft with him, but really my house is too small for that. Any ideas?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:33 am
My boys at that age loved Lego and Duplo, two separate things. Clics. The cities they used to build with clics... Reading - Circle, Kindline or whatever fits your family style. Listen to CDs that come with read-along books. Sing-along microphones. Oiber chuchem (yiddish version of Top Trumps) they were obsessed with. Dot-to-Dot, I got my DS a whole book of the hard ones.

And bedtime for my 7 y.o. is at 7:15. At age 8 it moved to 7:45.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics