Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O - After school - TV time or computer time?
1  2  Next

Do your kids watch TV or play computer games every day?
Yes, everyday  
 23%  [ 47 ]
No, never  
 46%  [ 94 ]
Sometimes, but not every day  
 27%  [ 57 ]
I just like to vote/Other  
 2%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 204

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:19 am
Reading the other after-school thread, I was so surprised no one mentioned that their children use the TV/ipad/computer for games or shows after school.

I let my kids play/watch for 30-45 min per day.

Am I the only one?

So curious.

hodeez

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:21 am
No entertainment on school nights aside from music we dance to and keep in background during homework. They get video on Sunday for about 2 hours after the house is clean,all homework is done, and they're showered and in pajamas.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:23 am
We only do screen time on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. Weeknights are for reading, creative play, etc

vandm

My kids are little and don’t have homework yet. My response will probably be different in a couple of years

mha3484

My boys get some toveedo or game time a day. They also like torah live. I prefer the games I think they require more thinking then just staring at a video. But if the video is toradig and they walk away learning something I am okay with it.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:35 am
No screen time here. Only on long car rides (2+ hours, to family) or when really sick (as in, lying in bed all day). We made those exceptions so that our kids were exposed to screen time and didn't feel deprived, since we live in a community where lots of kids have much more access to technology than ours do.

My oldest are now teens, and it seems to have worked.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:36 am
No screen time at all. We live in a yeshivish community and there is no peer pressure for it. I used to let them when they were younger and I found it made them irritated and they forgot how to entertain themselves.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:39 am
My kids get 30-45 minutes of screen time while they eat supper or before supper.

It helps us all wind down and enjoy some quiet.

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:41 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
My kids get 30-45 minutes of screen time while they eat supper or before supper.

It helps us all wind down and enjoy some quiet.

Same. My DD watches really educational stuff.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:45 am
I allow 45 minutes to an hour a day. As long as homework is done, they are bathed and eaten a decent dinner, and as long as they complete their allotted time by an hour before bedtime, they can have screen time. I have not seen it have any detrimental effects and it's actually a nice chill time of day.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:46 am
My kids get screen time on Friday if they are all ready for shabbath and took a bath. During the week, it's very rare that they get some time only as a really big treat

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:53 am
I didn't mention it because I thought the poster was looking for ways her kids could entertain themselves. My kids all watch one episode of something per weekday (about 22 minutes).

Also, each night, after showers, one kid gets to choose an appropriate YouTube video (either educational or how-to) that can be up to 20 minutes long. Often the chosen video won't be of interest to one or more siblings, so they won't watch it. Each night a different child gets to pick.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:33 pm
Only on vacation or if really sick. Only Jewish stuff.

On random days I’ll put on Jewish stories from Spotify or that I downloaded and give them ices and that helps them wind down.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:41 pm
My kids are young but so far we only do screen time on specific occasions like very short Fridays when I didn't finish cooking Thursday or Sundays when my husband works and I'm not feeling well. Otherwise we never have screen time

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:46 pm
Just asking because I'm surprised, maybe clueless, really not judging-
There are frum families who watch TV?

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:11 pm
Kids ranging ages 4-18. No screen time allowed only on vacation and even then, no YouTube or free online access...

This isn't only a yidishkeit perspective but also, the distraction and addiction junk food it is for the brain and last but not least the tremendous way that it deprives their creative thinking and interaction with humans around them...

This sure isn't easy as a mother, I could use the peace and quiet sometimes... But its a long term investment imho.

fmt4

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:27 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:

You’re clueless.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:28 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:

What community do you live in that you don’t know this?

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:50 pm
I allow my kids to play an educational game online with me sitting with them, for abt 15 min every few weeks

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:16 pm
My kids get to watch only on Friday for like an hour. We don't have an actual TV, they only watch on the computer. We have had many cases where they went for a playdate and watched TV. It drives me nuts because I don't allow TV during the week so why davka do they need it when they are supposed to be enjoying time with a friend?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics