Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Is there a hs that doesn’t bombard the girls with homework?
Previous  1  2

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:20 am
Have you tried talking to her teachers? If she s so overwhelmed maybe there are some accommodations they can make for her to make it easier. No teacher wants to see her student crack under the pressure or lose her will to do well.

As a teacher I have many times been asked to modify homework and assignments for girls that are overwhelmed and I have no problem doing that

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:40 pm
amother Honey wrote:
Its the type of kid.

I have 2 high schoolers. One is chilled like a cucumber. She reviews her notes and I see her do homework some of the time. Does average well but doesn't break a sweat over marks or school. She has load of common sense and is okay.

The other is next level perfectionist and takes school way too hard. She studies for a quiz like one studies for a regent.

LOL are you my SIL? You are totally describing my nieces.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 1:25 pm
Does she need help learning how to learn? Sometimes girls are spending too much time on something because they don't know how to do the task efficiently. Even if she doesn't want a tutor, would she be open to going to someone for study skills?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Not if she would stand out as being different. She just wants to be like everyone else even if it’s a tremendous struggle for her.

Is there a resource room in her school others go to? Anyone takes modified tests?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:10 pm
I wonder if you can get her help not in the tutoring departmment, but in the how to study/take notes department

I never had to do a stich of work thru elementry school. I was bh bright enough that if I listened and took notes according to the system we where taught (Bnos Yaakov in LKWD), I didnt need to study. I would do math homework durng recess.

Then I moved to Israel for high school and I was in for the shock of my life.

The hebrew wasnt such an issue- I was fluent pretty quick because of my elementry backround.
The real issue was that I needed to learn learning skills.
They where way ahead in math (and I was in the easiest track) and we had these hige goverment test like regents starting from 9th grade in different subjects and I had 0 studying skills.

My idea of studying was ready my notes over and over until I had everything memorized. Which became impossible when I had the language barrier to slow me down.
At that point I was mentally transalting everything in hebrew into english, thinkling of the answer in englkish and then transalting into hebrew. This very slow method of learning and the huge amounts of material we where being tested on created an unsustainable amount of studying.

The best gift my parents got was not a tutor - it was a college student they hired to teach how to study efficiantly.
She taught me how to take notes in ways that I can easily turn into flashcards and charts. Previously I was just writing every word that came out ofthe teachers mouth. She taught me all sorts of memory tricks with highlighting, reading source material, using review questions.
It really made a differanced for me (besidesmath - the Israeli approach to math is just so different from such a young age I never really caught up, though I did get an 80 on the Bagrut)

I wonder if this is an option for your daughter. If she is happy socially I would try to see if I can help her before moving. In general Bais Sheindel and Bais Kaila where always lower key with academics.

If this is perfectionism/ anxiety that is also something that should be addressed.
There is nothing wrong with getting B's unless she is planning on pursuiong an incredibly academic career. There are plenty of less academic seminaries for a great girl, and if she is the type to do a jewish college program shell be fine with B's as well.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:19 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
I wonder if you can get her help not in the tutoring departmment, but in the how to study/take notes department

I never had to do a stich of work thru elementry school. I was bh bright enough that if I listened and took notes according to the system we where taught (Bnos Yaakov in LKWD), I didnt need to study. I would do math homework durng recess.

Then I moved to Israel for high school and I was in for the shock of my life.

The hebrew wasnt such an issue- I was fluent pretty quick because of my elementry backround.
The real issue was that I needed to learn learning skills.
They where way ahead in math (and I was in the easiest track) and we had these hige goverment test like regents starting from 9th grade in different subjects and I had 0 studying skills.

My idea of studying was ready my notes over and over until I had everything memorized. Which became impossible when I had the language barrier to slow me down.
At that point I was mentally transalting everything in hebrew into english, thinkling of the answer in englkish and then transalting into hebrew. This very slow method of learning and the huge amounts of material we where being tested on created an unsustainable amount of studying.

The best gift my parents got was not a tutor - it was a college student they hired to teach how to study efficiantly.
She taught me how to take notes in ways that I can easily turn into flashcards and charts. Previously I was just writing every word that came out ofthe teachers mouth. She taught me all sorts of memory tricks with highlighting, reading source material, using review questions.
It really made a differanced for me (besidesmath - the Israeli approach to math is just so different from such a young age I never really caught up, though I did get an 80 on the Bagrut)

I wonder if this is an option for your daughter. If she is happy socially I would try to see if I can help her before moving. In general Bais Sheindel and Bais Kaila where always lower key with academics.

If this is perfectionism/ anxiety that is also something that should be addressed.
There is nothing wrong with getting B's unless she is planning on pursuiong an incredibly academic career. There are plenty of less academic seminaries for a great girl, and if she is the type to do a jewish college program shell be fine with B's as well.

What’s Bnos Yaakov’s system for note-taking?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries