Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Holiday gift for not jewish teachers

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:43 pm
What is normal to spend? (We can't afford so much but want to show hakaras hatov). What is a nice gift that would be appreciated?

J

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:49 pm
I used to get “holiday treats” - nicely packed baskets with cookies, teas, etc. around $15 each. Home Goods has good variety this time if the year.

gibberish

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:03 pm
$10 gift card to Starbucks

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:04 pm
Afaik, you can't give for x-mas, only for new years. Maybe ask your LOR.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
What is normal to spend? (We can't afford so much but want to show hakaras hatov). What is a nice gift that would be appreciated?

Why would you spend any different on non-Jewish teacher than on Jewish teacher? Do they not work equally hard at educating your child?

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:05 pm
Same amount as you would for any teacher who spends equivalent time with your child.

As for what to give, I would opt for a Starbucks gift card as it is more universal. The food in the cheap gift baskets tends to not be very good.

Alternatively you could get the chocolate from Trader Joes as it is good quality and well priced.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:11 pm
I worked in a public school for many years. I'd say the typical gift given by parents to teachers were gift cards to Starbucks, Target, or Amazon, usually between $10-25. (For a $10 gift card, I'd stick to Starbucks as it will go farther there.) They always included a nice holiday card with a handwritten message, sometimes written by the parents or sometimes by the child.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:28 pm
When I was growing up, my mom was a teacher, and she always had us give really nice chocolates and a personalized card. Not expensive (you can get something nice for $10-$15), and they generally appreciated it (and the ones who didn't want to eat all of the chocolates themselves, often said they brought it home to family or gave it to kids or grandkids during the holidays and were happy to share it). The personalized card I think was just as meaningful as the gift itself, teachers don't get enough appreciation.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:31 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
I worked in a public school for many years. I'd say the typical gift given by parents to teachers were gift cards to Starbucks, Target, or Amazon, usually between $10-25.

You're saying this was typical. Is it appreciated?
My daughter is in a public preschool, so I have the same question.
Last year I gave gift cards like you said, I'm wondering from someone who's in the know if I should do the same this year.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:32 pm
Some people cannot afford to give holiday gifts so I personally don’t like this tradition. When someone who cannot afford it watches the other mothers give holiday gifts/end of year gifts while they cannot, it can be difficult.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:35 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Some people cannot afford to give holiday gifts so I personally don’t like this tradition. When someone who cannot afford it watches the other mothers give holiday gifts/end of year gifts while they cannot, it can be difficult.

I can't really afford it either. But the school is not giving much of a choice and the teachers happen to be excellent, and my child is more difficult. I want to do it (/feel like I have to), even if it's very hard

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:38 pm
amother Gray wrote:

So nobody should give or receive gifts because some cannot afford it?
Get something very inexpensive and write a nice note of appreciation.
Or just a card without a gift is also very much appreciated.
But we should not stop giving gifts.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:40 pm
amother Gray wrote:
it can be difficult.

It can also difficult when one sees people living on higher standards, going on vacations, buying things they cannot afford...
It's also difficult when childless people see others with children
When single women see young married girls
When someone with a sick family member sees a happy, healthy family
I'm really not trying to put down anything.
My point is just that we shouldn't stop doing things because others aren't able to.
Part of life is the un-equality of everyone else's lives.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:42 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
You're saying this was typical. Is it appreciated?
My daughter is in a public preschool, so I have the same question.
Last year I gave gift cards like you said, I'm wondering from someone who's in the know if I should do the same this year.

Yes, of course it is appreciated. I always handwrote a note of thanks to each child/family and all the other teachers did as well.
Sometimes parents were creative and would stick a Starbucks card inside a coffee mug or insulated tumbler and add in Hershey Kisses and wrap it up nicely--that sort of thing. I loved getting those type of gifts:)

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 5:44 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Yes, of course it is appreciated. I always handwrote a note of thanks to each child/family and all the other teachers did as well.
Sometimes parents were creative and would stick a Starbucks card inside a coffee mug or insulated tumbler and add in Hershey Kisses and wrap it up nicely--that sort of thing. I loved getting those type of gifts:)

Thanx! Nice to hear feedback from someone who's been there done that!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics