Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Going away for shabbos

professor

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 7:37 pm
Any ideas on how to chulent in a place that has no kosher food? Easiest possible. Planning to buy all items and ingredients here in KosherNewYork, and then making shabbos in middle of nowhere. Any ideas?

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 7:39 pm
Put it up in a croc pot.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 7:39 pm
Just bring your crock pot along.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:06 pm
Prepare all ingredients and spices, besides the water, in a crockpot bag. Close tightly and pack in hot n cold bag (depends how far you go)
At destination add water to the bag and crockpot and set up to cook.
Dump bag when you are done eating then take home a clean crockpot.
Done this several times.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:31 pm
Skip chulent that week

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:51 pm
I've cholented in the most random places. I brown the onions and meat at home, put them in a crockpot with the other stuff then just add water and plug in when you get there. If it's a kitchen where other ppl have access, you need to make a seal/siman with foil in case of basar she'neelam min a ayin.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:16 pm
Am I the only one happy to hear that cholent has become a verb? LOL

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:31 am
Done this many times.
Bring everything along in a ziploc bag. Frozen meat separately. Bring a crock pot. Make sure to use a liner bag and a new sponge so you can wash it before you come home.
Extremely simple.

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:51 am
Are you staying in an Airbnb type place with a kitchen or in a standard hotel room? Because a hotel would be very upset to find a crockpot in use in their rooms. They would consider it a fire hazard. If you're staying in a place with a proper kitchen, then presumably it's been wired properly for small appliances and it's not an issue.

We usually just make do with cold or room temperature foods for Shabbos lunch when we're traveling and will be in the middle of nowhere.

essie14

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 1:46 am
amother Diamond wrote:
Are you staying in an Airbnb type place with a kitchen or in a standard hotel room? Because a hotel would be very upset to find a crockpot in use in their rooms. They would consider it a fire hazard. If you're staying in a place with a proper kitchen, then presumably it's been wired properly for small appliances and it's not an issue.

We usually just make do with cold or room temperature foods for Shabbos lunch when we're traveling and will be in the middle of nowhere.

Oh yes. I've only made cholent if we are in an airbnb. In a hotel, deli sandwiches.

professor

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:19 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
Prepare all ingredients and spices, besides the water, in a crockpot bag. Close tightly and pack in hot n cold bag (depends how far you go)
At destination add water to the bag and crockpot and set up to cook.
Dump bag when you are done eating then take home a clean crockpot.
Done this several times.

Wow love this idea!

professor

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:23 pm
Also, if I'll be flying, how do I tie the chulent bag so that the dry ingredients don't mix with the socks and shirts that are also in the suitcase? Or do I pack it separately? Is there a sealed kind of carry-on that I can buy?

professor

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:41 pm
professor wrote:
Also, if I'll be flying, how do I tie the chulent bag so that the dry ingredients don't mix with the socks and shirts that are also in the suitcase? Or do I pack it separately? Is there a sealed kind of carry-on that I can buy?

I have an idea... Instead of bringing cooked beans in a bag in a suitcase maybe I'll buy canned beans, they are pre cooked already then I'll just have the meat and spices in a bag with potatos

pause

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:49 pm
professor wrote:
I have an idea... Instead of bringing cooked beans in a bag in a suitcase maybe I'll buy canned beans, they are pre cooked already then I'll just have the meat and spices in a bag with potatos

You don't need cooked beans. Raw beans, raw frozen meat, and whatever else you put into your cholent. Double or triple bag it. You don't want it in your carry-on if you're flying.

Upon arrival, add water and let it cook through the night.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 2:53 pm
When I went away for shabbos in the boondocks I bought before the amazing kosher cholent/kugel meals. It was delicious! I bought along a little crockpot, added some water and viola.

You can buy it at any grocery in the tri state area or online
https://www.amazon.com/Amazing.....B36H4

professor

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:58 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
When I went away for shabbos in the boondocks I bought before the amazing kosher cholent/kugel meals. It was delicious! I bought along a little crockpot, added some water and viola.

You can buy it at any grocery in the tri state area or online
https://www.amazon.com/Amazing.....B36H4

Is it frozen? Does it taste good?

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:16 pm
When we go away for Shabbos I buy a tin of chap a nosh cholent the week before and freeze it. Then I hear it up on a Plata. It’s delicious.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:26 pm
On the very few times my DH and I have gone away for Shabbat, we would buy rolls, a pkg. of nice pastrami, a container of slaw. and can of pickles. Our Shabbos getaway was perfect.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:38 pm
professor wrote:
Is it frozen? Does it taste good?
It's shelf stable. Find it on the shelf in the supermarket.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics