Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Question for Occupational Therapists in New York

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:27 am
Asking specifically for OT’s who service the New York area - I was recently approached by a parent who is looking for a private occupational therapist to service their preschool child at their home. They would be paying out of pocket and the child was not yet evaluated so doesn’t have an IEP. Is it legal to accept payment for occupational therapy where the parent pays out of pocket? Do I have to do anything prior to beginning the services and if so can you please tell me what I would need to do (I don’t want to get audited, sued etc Chas v’shalom)? If this is all ok, what would be an appropriate rate for a 30 minute homecase sesssion?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 8:53 pm
BUMP

amother OP wrote:
Asking specifically for OT’s who service the New York area - I was recently approached by a parent who is looking for a private occupational therapist to service their preschool child at their home. They would be paying out of pocket and the child was not yet evaluated so doesn’t have an IEP. Is it legal to accept payment for occupational therapy where the parent pays out of pocket? Do I have to do anything prior to beginning the services and if so can you please tell me what I would need to do (I don’t want to get audited, sued etc Chas v’shalom)? If this is all ok, what would be an appropriate rate for a 30 minute homecase sesssion?

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 9:18 pm
I don't really have answers for you because I never worked private but I am an OT in NY so will give it a try. It's def legal to do this so don't worry about that. I would imagine you're not going to get audited but to make it fully fully legal you would have to report it when you file taxes. Honestly, if you're doing this one case no one is going to come find you if you don't report it and it might not even make a difference, but if you want to be fully legal that's probably the way to do it. (Obviously ask your accountant for more details)

In terms of rates, that really depends on you and how much experience you have and if you plan on doing this to make money or more as a favor till this kid gets approved for services (which it sounds like is the case). If it's a favor type of case and you haven't majorly pecialized I would ask for a bit over my regular rate depending on the inconvenience of seeing this kid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics