Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Packing breakable things
Previous  1  2

happy2beme

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:10 am
I bought a roll of bags from our grocery store (what u put fruits & veggies into) & put each plate & bowl into it & then wrapped in newspaper. I also used the wine boxes for my glasses.

louche, I'm honored that we think the same!!!

louche

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:20 am
greenfire wrote:
this is why you're supposed to save the boxes the dishes come in ... What

louche - if newspaper print gets on the dishes (& I know they do) - why would you wash your windows with newspaper print ... Confused

Because it's free, it's environmentally responsible, and it works. The paper doesn't remain in contact with the glass long enough to transfer print, and any ink that does get on the glass doesn't show. Supposedly the ink helps brighten the glass, or repel rain, or something, but I have no idea whether that's true or bubbemeiseh # 4,789.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:34 am
you get a newpaper for free ... do you steal the neighbors ... Twisted Evil

good to know I never tried it ... What but then again I don't much clean my windows either ...

louche

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:47 am
greenfire wrote:
you get a newpaper for free ... do you steal the neighbors ... Twisted Evil

we live in an apt building in a municipailty that collects newspapers for recycling, so if I needed to I could go to the basement and take somebody's discarded and thus hefker Sunday paper--but in reality I use the local ragsheets--I mean newspaper wannabes--that are distributed free in little kiosks and supermarkets. I blush to say I actually read them first, even though they carry exactly the same news items that were reported on the am news on the radio. (I also do the crossword puzzles. They're nowhere near in the same league as the NYTimes puzzles, so I can almost always finish them, which gives my self-esteem a boost. So what if I left my lunch in the fridge and have on one blue and one black shoe--I did the X-word! And it only took 20 minutes!)

louche

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:49 am
But I must confess I'm the one who "borrows" the magazines from the poster who finds her subscription opened every month. That's because she refuses to buy me a subscription of my own. Magazine paper is useless for washing windows, which is why I always give her back the mags when I'm finished reading them

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:53 am
louche wrote:
I also do the crossword puzzles. They're nowhere near in the same league as the NYTimes puzzles, so I can almost always finish them, which gives my self-esteem a boost. So what if I left my lunch in the fridge and have on one blue and one black shoe--I did the X-word! And it only took 20 minutes!)

gives your brain a boost too - less likely of alzheimers - senile/senial/see nile (even if it's too late for me Rolling Eyes ) {where are those free newspapers when you need em }

louche

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:58 am
Yep, that's why I started doing them. But I'd be better off doing the challenging ones instead of shabbing off with the easy ones in the local shmattes.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 1:54 pm
Quote:
-The first thing you should do when you get to your new home is make up your beds. By the time you are ready to go to sleep that night, you will be too exhausted to go hunting for your linen and bedding.

A tip I received which was invaluable: make you bed in your old home with fresh linene, unhook the fitted pad/sheet and wrap inwardly EVERYTHING, pillow included (and blankies, stuffed dolls, etc...), place in a garbage bag - label whose bed it is. twin and larger 1 set/bag, toddler/crib 2 per bag. When you get to the new house place on bed, open and tuck elastic end in and voila - a perfectly fresh bed!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating