Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Looking for sporty camp for 11 yo girl, not so rah rah

LALA2

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:05 pm
My 11 yo has never been to sleepaway camp. I was thinking of Sternberg b/c I had friends that went there and it seems heimish and warm. We watching the videos on the website and it had a lot of girls singing, jumping etc , which is great, but we realized we want something smaller and less rah rah
My daughter wants to play sports and go on hikes more than sing, although she loves to sing as well. We just feel summer camp should be more into active stuff.
Any ideas for warm, active camps that are not too big?

Thank you

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:27 pm
(did you yourself go to sleepaway camp?)

I thought every camp is rah rah. Camp 'spirit' is a big thing.

Perhaps I'm mistaken?

LALA2

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:36 pm
no, I didn't go, I wouldn't be able to take the late nights and no privacy. but she would like to go and she's a bit different from me. While we are on the topic, are there camps that are strict about girls getting enough sleep so the don't get sick?

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:45 pm
LALA2 wrote:
no, I didn't go, I wouldn't be able to take the late nights and no privacy. but she would like to go and she's a bit different from me. While we are on the topic, are there camps that are strict about girls getting enough sleep so the don't get sick?

Maybe someone will prove me wrong but no, I think all camps are rah rah. Also I don’t think sleep is a thing that can be enforced in a camp setting. Lights out, yes. Even be in bed, maybe. But kids either know what they need, or they deal with the consequences (tiredness, illness). That said I have no recollection of either in my 8 years at camp. Late night fun is a big part of what sets sleep-away camp
From daycamp.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 12:53 pm
Most camps have a lights out and no noise policy. Some are more on top of it than others. Most have some sort of cheering and singing. I do think sternberg is more ra ra than others and it’s not a good fit for everyone.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:52 pm
All camps are rah rah.

Some are more “sporty” and less “girly” but still rah rah.

Thats what camp is.

Not every girl needs to be rah rah to go and love it. Not every girl cheers and sings. Its fine. (And you'll be surprised how many get into it)

Sternberg is more sporty. Especially going into grades 8/9.

Not sure what your hashkafa is. I would call it a “Five Towns” camp.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 2:57 pm
What the hell is rah rah?

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:02 pm
amother Apricot wrote:

Enthusiasm, spirit, cheering, excitement

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 3:29 pm
amother Apricot wrote:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

amother
Jean

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 4:03 pm
LALA2 wrote:
My 11 yo has never been to sleepaway camp. I was thinking of Sternberg b/c I had friends that went there and it seems heimish and warm. We watching the videos on the website and it had a lot of girls singing, jumping etc , which is great, but we realized we want something smaller and less rah rah
My daughter wants to play sports and go on hikes more than sing, although she loves to sing as well. We just feel summer camp should be more into active stuff.

Thank you

I would definitely give sternberg a try. Plenty of girls dont do the cheering rah rah, and there is no pressure to. (Realize many people are looking for a camp with energy, so thays why all camps will post videos like that). But in sternberg for sure she'll feel more of an emphasis on hikes and ourdoorsy stuff vs cheering and singing. Thats on the sidelines

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:00 am
LALA2 wrote:

Thank you

Just as a side note I would definitely not consider Sternberg a heimish camp… it’s more on the modern side

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:02 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Just as a side note I would definitely not consider Sternberg a heimish camp… it’s more on the modern side

I would not classify sternberg as modern, definitely not. It has a mix of right wing. Mostly just plain frum, with a handful of more yeshivish as well as a handful of more modern, but the camp as a whole is not modern.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:51 am
LALA2 wrote:

Thank you

Bnos is less rah rah but not as sporty. She'll do things like swimming, boating, a sports activity a day, a summer long art project, shiur, ropes course, night activity. They're strict about sleeping.

amother
Raspberry

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 12:58 am
amother Freesia wrote:

Only on imamother have I ever heard heimish used as a religious descriptive term. Heimish, as I understand it’s literal meaning and what I thought OP meant, is homey, down to
Earth

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:04 am
amother Raspberry wrote:
Only on imamother have I ever heard heimish used as a religious descriptive term. Heimish, as I understand it’s literal meaning and what I thought OP meant, is homey, down to
Earth

If thats the heimish op meant, sternberg certainly is that
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps