Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Buy a dining room set now or after construction

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:32 pm
I currently have a table that fits 6 chairs and six chairs that I got for free second hand and they are more then ready for the garbage. I have five kids and my baby will be out of his high chair soon and will need a place at the table. I have a small house, the kitchen is not eat in so the dining room table is where everything happens and I am so so ready for a bigger table.

We just met with an architect to discuss plans to make an extension on the house. If everything goes according to plan it will actually be finished in 2.5-3 years

I am torn to make the purchase now or not. We really really need it now and waiting 2-3 years till we finish construction is a very long time. Construction is also a very expensive time and I’ve heard it more than once to make big purchases before because you are not gonna have money later. What is really holding me back is that I will not be able to design the room at the same time. I will pick out the table and chairs now and the rest of the furniture, new paint etc around this dining table and chairs

It is not an option to get a bigger second hand table. It is either deal with what I have or buy new. What are your thoughts?

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:32 pm
For sure after construction

Amarante

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:34 pm
Why is it not an option to get a larger cheap table? There is a glut of used wood furniture available for cheap - especially if you are not picky about the stye because you are using it for a limited period of time.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:35 pm
I would wait. You can get a large plastic folding table and some cheap ikea chairs or folding chairs till then.

Another option, if your extension will include larger kitchen or eat in kitchen, is get a nice dinette set now to use as dining room and after renovations move that to the kitchen and invest in a dining room set.

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:44 pm
Or get something secondhand from yad shniya or craigslist for the time being.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:16 am
There is lots of Second hand out there the problem is that my husband is very not handy and we have no access to a van or truck. We would have to hire a mover to take it apart move it and put it back together and that would cost at least $500 plus the cost of the used table. I jsut can’t see spending 1000 for a
Short term table when the tables in the stores I am checking out in Lkwd go on sale for 2500. I can totally use folding chairs but I really need a table that comfortably fits at least 8.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:17 am
Are you changing the structure of your living or just redecorating?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:43 am
We are going to knock down the wall behind the dining room to make the room bigger. I really don’t plan on buying any other furniture besides a buffet for the dining room. There is a staircase in the middle separating the living room from the dining room. I will most definitely need new living room furniture but I think as long as it’s not totally clashing to the dining room it will be fine because it’s really two different rooms.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:38 am
Would you consider buying a small table and adding it at the end? It would extend your current table without too much trouble, and it gives the advantage of being flexible. Small table wouldn't be so bad to transport or build.
Or buying a folding table? We bought one from costco and it's really useful when we have guests and need more room at the table. It gets stored behind the couch and pulled out as we need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics