Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Dunkin donuts kosher?
Previous  1  2

groovy1224

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:23 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes but how do I know if they use kosher milk or not? I’m not asking about one specific one? All in general.
I know that I once bought ice coffee in dunkind near my college and then heard that they dont use kosher milk or something like it. I’m still sad about it and it’s quite a few years ago. I feel like ppl like me r clueless and it’s not fair. It says a kashrus hashgacha outside so why wud I even assume that they only use kosher milk if I specifically ask etc… dont these hashgacha places have more responsibility? First I thought it was only my problem but I’ve seen so many ppl just buy randomly and clueless

Yhis is a little confusing. What's unfair? What makes you think you ate non kosher? What even is non kosher milk?
If you ever have questions about a particular hasgacha you can always call them. It's a little strange to call it unfair IMO..they are not in control of how much you know. They certify that the establishment is kosher, and it's unclear why you feel that it isn't.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:29 am
amother Sand wrote:
I wouldn't eat at those either..

That’s a personal choice that you make. Others make different choices. No need to question them for doing things differently.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:35 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes but how do I know if they use kosher milk or not? I’m not asking about one specific one? All in general.
I know that I once bought ice coffee in dunkind near my college and then heard that they dont use kosher milk or something like it. I’m still sad about it and it’s quite a few years ago. I feel like ppl like me r clueless and it’s not fair. It says a kashrus hashgacha outside so why wud I even assume that they only use kosher milk if I specifically ask etc… dont these hashgacha places have more responsibility? First I thought it was only my problem but I’ve seen so many ppl just buy randomly and clueless

The only way you would have had not kosher milk is if you had a different type of milk. All cow’s milk in the US is kosher. Are you talking about chalav Stam vs. chalav Yisrael?
What exactly are you clueless about? If there is a valid kashrus certificate in the window, you can get drinks and food, no problem.
My husband’s rebbi, who only eats chalav Yisrael (and many other rabbis I know who also only eat chalav Yisrael) hold that if you only keep chalav Yisrael, you can still eat the donuts at a kosher DD because they are made with powdered milk, which is apparently different than liquid milk.
I really don’t understand the issue- if the place is certified kosher, the agency and the mashgiach are taking the responsibility to ensure that everything is kosher. Who exactly is clueless, ans about what?

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Aug 24 2022, 8:42 am
I personally don't know who runs "national kosher supervision" that supervises the DD in brooklyn, so I wouldn't eat there. but I would drink coffee from there. you can ask for "kosher" (cholov yisroel) milk if that location has.

there was recently a message going around about "uber eats" that they post that some DD are kosher when they really aren't and someone ate bacon cuz they thought it was kosher "fakon." so just be super careful, even if you hold by the DD hechsher - make sure it actually has one!!!

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:00 pm
Bumping this up. Does anyone know if the dd on kings highway and avenue m in Brooklyn have chalav Yisroel milk

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:24 pm
STovah wrote:
The donuts are delivered ready made, they are not fried on premises.

If so, this is a change from the past. I worked at Dunkin Donuts when I was a high school student in early 2000's, and at that time the donuts were fried on the premises.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:33 pm
miami85 wrote:
The coffee is kosher everywhere, the food while the donut shells are "kosher" in the box, once they come out of the box in a regular dunkin donuts around the treif foods without hashgacha they are no longer "kosher"

Franchises have obligations to use specific ingredients that's how you can be confident that you get the same thing everywhere. The issue is that some Dunkin's use bacon and some use veggie bacon.

DD Highland Park NJ is Kosher and has veggie bacon which is 😋. The local Vaad is in charge of its Kashrus.

One of my DCs told me we couldn’t eat there once as it was treif when he saw the “bacon” on the menu. LOL

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:36 pm
chanar wrote:
Where are you located? There are a few specific ones in Brooklyn and the 5 towns that are kosher and have a hechsher hanging. The one in the 5 towns uses chalav yisrael milk but their baked goods aren’t chalav yisrael, but it’s all clearly signposted..

And Teaneck and Elizabeth.

STovah

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:47 pm
amother Oak wrote:
If so, this is a change from the past. I worked at Dunkin Donuts when I was a high school student in early 2000's, and at that time the donuts were fried on the premises.

Was that in NYC? In NYC I don’t recall them ever frying donuts on the premises. Everything in the store is fully cooked and just reheated.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 4:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Some people don’t care.
It’s not safe to buy anything other than black coffee there.
I heard from a mashgiach that they even pour plain milk into the chalav yisroel containers

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 4:59 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Some people don’t care.
It’s not safe to buy anything other than black coffee there.
I heard from a mashgiach that they even pour plain milk into the chalav yisroel containers

If you are not makbid on CY it's not an issue.
Anyway the ones that have a hechsher don't claim to be CY. Some may carry CY milk but the certificates I've seen posted all make it clear that the products are chalav Stam and not certified as CY.
(Though the one I go to the most doesn't bother with milk "containers" they just pour straight from a Pride of the Farm carton lol. I think they get so many frum customers and "kosher milk" requests that it's just simpler for them that way. And yes, you can see their prep behind the counter.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries