Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Sleeve - 3+ year out

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:31 am
anyone here 3 or more years out of bariatric sleeve and have kept most/ all of their weight off? is it a struggle? and have you changed your lifestyle?

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:10 am
Id love to hear as well as I’m also considering surgery

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:24 am
12 years out. Thrilled with 120 lb weight loss.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 12:46 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
12 years out. Thrilled with 120 lb weight loss.

The sleeve or the band? Can you share more details? Like height and weight before vs. now?
Recovery time?
How much was lost because of the pre op diet vs. lifestyle change after.
What do you eat typically…

Anything else?

Bump

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:02 am
can anyone else chime in. I'm 6 months post sleeve surgery and while I did lose 60lbs I've really started struggling. I'm beyond terrified of gaining it back and have another 50 lbs to go to be a healthy weight. Now my carb cravings are back and I feel hungry all the time even. I'm following the program and keeping to proteins but I find a lot of food can go down and I'm eating alot and often.
If your a couple years out, what do you eat and how did you change your lifestlye?
TIA!!

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:12 pm
Bump

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 6:11 pm
bump

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:41 pm
The best thing is to change your lifestyle of eating.
I am 3 1/2 years out from the sleeve.
Initially lost 50 pounds - they call the first 6 months the honeymoon phase. Take advantage!!
I still have another 40 pounds I need to lose.
Yes, Bh at this I can eat all foods. For sure not as much as in quantity as I ate before. You need to be careful of grazing. When I put my mind to it I have lost a few more pounds.
I feel more human now. I don’t feel like the fattest one in the room anymore.
It was a hard decision, and even though I’m not skinny - I feel better and lost a nice chunk of weight.
I did gain a few pounds now and I’m talking to myself that I must be careful. I DO NOT want to go back to where I was.

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:52 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
The best thing is to change your lifestyle of eating.
I am 3 1/2 years out from the sleeve.
Initially lost 50 pounds - they call the first 6 months the honeymoon phase. Take advantage!!
I still have another 40 pounds I need to lose.
Yes, Bh at this I can eat all foods. For sure not as much as in quantity as I ate before. You need to be careful of grazing. When I put my mind to it I have lost a few more pounds.
I feel more human now. I don’t feel like the fattest one in the room anymore.
It was a hard decision, and even though I’m not skinny - I feel better and lost a nice chunk of weight.
I did gain a few pounds now and I’m talking to myself that I must be careful. I DO NOT want to go back to where I was.

Can you share more details?
Like height and weight before vs. now?
Recovery time?
How much was lost because of the pre op diet vs. lifestyle change after.
What do you eat typically…

50lb is a lot to lose but not if I’m doing surgery. I’m assuming preop diet and immediate days post op are a big chunk of the initial weight loss.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:05 am
Following. Dh is considering. also want to know how commonly the weight is gained back.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:19 pm
why didn't you hit your target weight and stalled at 50lbs? it's a nice amount to lose but I understood surgery is for larger amounts.
unless you initially lost and gained back?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:29 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Following. Dh is considering. also want to know how commonly the weight is gained back.

It is not uncommon because weight loss surgery is a tool and it is only in the first year or so that a person loses weight without "working" on it.

You also need some form of therapy to deal with eating and to support new eating habits.

The issue is that one can actually eat a lot of calories very easily by noshing since most people who are overweight enough to need surgery have some kind of "addiction" to food and in some way they don't register satiation as a reason to stop eating.

It is especially difficult because higher fat/higher calorie foods are easier to eat after weight loss surgery because they go down more smoothy - for example cookies and cakes are much easier to chew than fruit and chicken.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:11 pm
That’s a good question why I didn’t lose more than than 50 pounds. Could be I wasn’t drinking enough, could be I didn’t stay exactly on plan.
I was never able to lose 50 pounds being on a regular diet. I have tried everything. This is definitely a last resort and a real tool that needs to be used properly in order to maximize the weight loss.

What did I eat today.
I had a whole egg plus an 1 white and a slice of multi grain sourdough. I couldn’t finish it all.
A breakfast muffin for snack.
A sushi roll for lunch - ate 6 out of 8.
Bottom line I can’t eat tons at a sit down meal but the grazing is very hard. I can have candy, cookies, chips… that’s where I am personally having a hard time now. I gained a few pounds but Bh I was able to lose it.

Hatzlocha - let me know if you have any questions!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise