Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Cheap pareve recipes

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:15 am
Anyone have any? I figure with inflation, more people will be interested in this...

Dairy recipes with a very small amount of dairy are fine too.

Here are some of my own ideas:
    *Soup and homemade bread (or non-homemade toast)
    *Beans and rice
    *Shakshuka (although with the price of eggs going up, I'm not sure if this is so cheap anymore)
    *Falafel
    *Dairy tacos with fake meat and a sprinkle of cheese on top

I'd love actual recipes, if you have them.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:19 am
Parve tacos …. Black bean & corn topped with salsa & guacamole

ddmom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:52 am
Split pea soup
Lentil soup
😋 delicious!

CDL

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:57 am
Fake meat is very expensive!!

Cookies n Cake

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:59 am
Fried Rice
Burritos
Baked potatoes with sour cream and toppings (corn, beans, fried onions)

sunny2

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:14 pm
We have gotten very into tofu lately. I find many recipes on Pinterest and there’s so much you can do with it. A package in Trader Joe’s is $1.99
There is really no flavor to it, it tastes like whatever sauce or spice you cook it in.

yachnabobba

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:41 pm
1. Be careful with to much tofu /bec of its effect on estrogen production
2. Consider pare be cholent

YounginBP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:47 pm
Slice eggplant in half lengthwise. Salt and let sit for a little. Oil spray and pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika and parsley.
Bake on 350 until soft for about 45 min.

Serve with pita, Israeli salad and techina.

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:42 pm
I wish my family would eat half the things suggested here!!!

I have started soup and bread night once a week but even that has not gone well. There is usually only like one family member that will eat it and the others just eat bread for dinner basically (plus whatever fruit they get themselves from the kitchen).

We do scrambled eggs on toast once a week also with a sprinkle of cheese and served with a plate of cut fruit and veggies.

I feel like when I try to make either healthy or budget friendly meals my family hardly eats them and it’s such a waste of whatever money those Ingredients cost. I may as well just set out yogurt and crackers or bread since that’s what they end up eating.

abs

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:14 pm
My kids like to stir shredded cheese into this

Lentils and Rice
1 cup of green or brown dried lentils
2 c. rice
2 large onions
2-3 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt
6 cups of water
Put the lentils into a pot with double the amount of water and some salt, and cook it on the stove for 10 to 15 minutes. Once that's done, you need to add two cups of rice and four cups of water and stir, leaving it on the stovetop until the rice is cooked. I tend to cook it for 10 minutes.
While that's cooking, chop up two brown onions (I prefer them diced). Add them to a hot pan with oil and fry them until they're completely translucent.
Once all of that is done, tip the caramelized brown onions into the pot with the rice and lentils, stirring them through

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:31 pm
Hard corn taco shells or your own homemade flour tortillas. Warm black beans seasoned with homemade taco seasoning. Cubed avocado, tomato and scallions. Serve with fresh rice.

Shakshuka with something to scoop it up with. Maybe make some fresh onion rolls.

Sesame noodles: to a box of cooked (drained) spaghetti add 1/3 cup each soy sauce, sugar, oil, sesame seeds, scallions, and a just few shakes of toasted sesame oil. Add marinated and browned small cubes of tofu.

Avocado toasts topped with spiced roasted crispy chickpeas or sunny side up.

Potato frittata with a large salad.

Roasted eggplant with chickpeas, tehini and humus.
https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com.....alad/

Tuna (canned) pasta casserole and a hearty soup.

Fish n chips made with frozen whiting fish and homemade fried French fries.

Power bowl with sections of quinoa, roasted cubed sweet potato, caramelized onion and lettuce/feta, with added nuts, seeds, dressing.

Poke bowl with cooked sushi rice, cubes of kani, mango, avocado, scallions, homemade sweet sauce and spicy mayo.

Homemade black bean burgers and homemade buns with sliced tomato, lettuce, red onion and your own sauce.

Frumme

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:38 pm
CDL wrote:
Fake meat is very expensive!!

If there's a Trader Joe's nearby, it isn't so expensive. 1 pack soy ground beef is $3. 1 pack ground Impossible Meat is $5. Then they have frozen pareve chicken nuggets and tenders for a good price as well. There are soy hot dogs and sausages as well

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:43 pm
Just made this tonight! Ashe reshteh, Persian herb and noodle soup.

1. Chop the greens coarsely: 1 bunch parsley, 1 bunch cilantro, 2 scallions (green part), 1 leek, 1 large bunch spinach (about 5 cups). Rinse and let dry. You can be flexible with the greens, if you want to adjust the amounts, add some, remove some, etc.
2. In a dutch oven or large soup pot, heat 4 tbs oil. Add in 1 chopped yellow onion and cook until golden. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and cook another few minutes.
3. Add 1 can chickpeas and 1.5 cups brown lentils along with 1tsp turmeric and 1 tsp pepper. You may also add about 1/4 cup of navy or kidney beans here. Stir to mix up everything in the pot.
4. Next, add in all the greens along with approximately 10 cups of water. The pot will be very leafy but don't worry because the greens will wilt. Add a healthy sprinkle of salt.
5. Bring to a boil and then simmer covered for 1 hour, checking on it to stir.
6. Break 8oz fettuccine or linguini in half and add to the pot. Bring to a boil again and then simmer for 30 more minutes. (Typically you'd specifically use reshteh noodles but these are more accessible and work fine in a pinch)
7. While the noodles are cooking, make the caramelized onions (optional but very good): heat 2 tbs oil in a saucepan and add 1 thinly sliced yellow onion. Sprinkle in some salt and some sugar. Let cook for about 30 minutes, making sure you stir it around. Eventually it will become brown and caramelized.
8. Add in 1tbsp of dried mint to the caramelized onions and stir to coat. When everything is ready, ladle the soup into a bowl and spoon some of the onions on top as a garnish.

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:17 pm
mujadarrah, frittata or quiche with minimal cheese, dutch baby pancake and smoothie, breakfast burritos

AlwaysGrateful

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:11 pm
These are great ideas! Thanks! Open to more Smile

I think my first attempt is going to be mujaddarah. What can I serve with it? I see that yogurt "sauce" is a common accompaniment -- I feel like that would make it more interesting for my kids. And I'll let them sprinkled parsley on top. And something spicy for the kids who like that sort of thing. I doubt my toddler will even be willing to try it out, but I'm hopeful that the older kids will like it...

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:19 pm
https://www.budgetbytes.com/it.....rpot/

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 3:55 pm
Vegetarian Chili Casserole with Cornbread Topping

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 (29 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
½ cup chopped cilantro
1 (8-1/2 ounce) package corn bread mix

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Sauté carrots, celery and onion in olive oil until soft – about 10 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients except corn bread mix and simmer for 15 minutes. Pour into 9 x 13-inch pan. Prepare corn bread mix according to package directions. Spread across top of chili and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Serve with guacamole and sour cream if desired.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:02 pm
Moroccan-Style Vegetable Couscous

Tori Avey

6 servings
Kosher Key: Pareve
Total Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes

INGREDIENTS
* 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 1 medium sweet onion, diced
* 2 tsp chopped garlic
* 2 tbsp tomato paste
* 1 tbsp harissa (or substitute sambal oelek)
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp ginger
* 2 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
* 2 lb. sweet potatoes (orange yams) peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
* 1 lb. zucchini (about 4 medium zucchini) cut into 1/2 inch rounds
* 12 oz. carrots (about 4 medium carrots) peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
* 3 cups shredded cabbage
* 1/3 cup dried apricots
* 1/4 cup golden raisins
* 1/4 cup cilantro
* Salt and black pepper to taste
* 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas (or substitute canned chickpeas, drained)
* 10 oz. couscous (1 1/2 cups dry - for gluten free substitute quinoa)
YOU WILL ALSO NEED
* 7-8 quart heavy pot with lid, medium saucepan

* Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium. Saute the onion for several minutes till softened. Add the garlic and saute for another minute till fragrant.
* Stir in the tomato paste, harissa, cinnamon, ginger and 1/2 cup of the low sodium vegetable broth till smooth. Bring to a boil.
* Add sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, shredded cabbage, dried apricots, golden raisins and cilantro to the pot. Stir till combined.
* Add remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I use about 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper).
* Reduce heat and cover the pot. Simmer the mixture for 50-60 minutes, stirring gently 2 times during cooking, till all the vegetables are fully tender. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Remove from heat.
* Add chickpeas to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes more till they're heated through.
* Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions.
* Pour cooked couscous onto a large platter. Top with the cooked vegetable stew. Serve.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:12 pm
SWEET-AND-TART SILAN-ROASTED CARROTS WITH LENTILS

Excerpt From: Faith Kramer. “52 Shabbats

Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a side dish

Carrots are symbolic in Judaism of asking for prosperity and for our blessings to multiply. Combined with the sweetness of silan or honey, they make an edible wish for a Happy New Year at Rosh Hashanah.

This dish is bursting with color and flavor, honoring the joy of Shabbat, and is a satisfying plant-based main course. The colorful carrots are roasted in a sweet but slightly tart sauce that brings out their richness, and are complemented with lots of robustly spiced lentils. This protein-packed recipe makes a hearty main but is also a lovely side dish, either served together or separately.

FOR THE LENTILS

1 cup green or brown lentils
3 cups Vegetable Broth (page 197) or purchased
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ cup chopped fennel or celery
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced jalapeño, optional
¼ teaspoon salt, plus more if desired

FOR THE CARROTS

2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
1 cup silan, honey, or agave syrup
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or paprika
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
1 pound multicolored carrots, peeled, large carrots cut into thirds
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or flat-leaf parsley

TO MAKE THE LENTILS

In a large saucepan, stir together the lentils, vegetable broth, black pepper, cumin, and paprika and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the fennel, onion, garlic, and jalapeño (if using), and return to a simmer. Cover and cook, lowering the heat as needed to maintain a gentle simmer, until the lentils are tender and the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Add the salt and stir well. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if desired. Remove from the heat, drain any excess liquid, and set aside while you make the carrots.

TO MAKE THE CARROTS

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Grease the parchment paper with olive oil.

In a wide, flat dish, whisk together the silan, water, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, and cloves. Add the carrots and toss until evenly coated.
Place the carrots in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside any leftover silan mixture.

Lower the oven temperature to 400°F. Roast the carrots for 40 to 50 minutes, or until tender and browned, tossing in the pan juices every 10 to 15 minutes.

Reheat the lentils, if desired, or keep them at room temperature. Add any leftover silan mixture to the lentils and stir to combine. Transfer the lentils to a large serving dish and top with the roasted carrots. Sprinkle with the coarse salt, drizzle with the tahini, and garnish with the fresh mint.

MAKE IT IN ADVANCE: The lentils and carrots can be cooked up to 3 days ahead. Store the lentils, carrots, and leftover silan mixture separately in airtight containers and refrigerate.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:19 pm
This has cheese but given that it makes a lot of food (serves 10) the cost per serving is low and it is delicious and kids really love it.

CHEESY TAMALE PIE WITH QUINOA AND BEAN CHILI

Excerpt From: Holly Erickson - The Modern Proper

Serves 10

Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total35 Minutes
Kid-Friendly
Vegetarian

Tamale pie is often a beefy affair. But we’ve found that between the slightly sweet, buttery cornbread, hearty quinoa-bean chili, and mountain of cheese, this homey casserole just doesn’t need the meat. Plus, leaving it out makes this crowd-favorite meal more accessible to more people, which is always a good thing. If you’re lucky enough to have any leftovers—if you’re feeding a small group, then you will—rejoice! It’s just as lovable the next day.

CORNBREAD

Cooking spray
1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 (14.75-ounce) can creamed corn
½ cup (1 stick) melted salted butter, cooled slightly
½ cup sour cream
2 large eggs, beaten

TOPPING

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 medium onion)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (28-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning
1½ cups cooked quinoa
2½ cups shredded cheddar cheese

1. Make the cornbread. Preheat the oven to 400°F with a rack in the center position. Grease a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, stir together the creamed corn, butter, sour cream, and eggs. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined. Do not overmix.

3. Pour the batter into the prepared skillet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

4. Meanwhile, make the topping. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is glistening, add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, half of the enchilada sauce, and the taco seasoning. Cook, stirring often, until the mixture begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and 1 cup of the cheese.

5. Remove the cornbread from the oven and turn on the broiler. Using the handle of a wooden spoon, poke several holes in the cornbread. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Add the quinoa mixture, spread it into an even layer, and sprinkle the remaining 1½ cups cheese all over. Return the skillet to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.

6. Scoop the tamale pie onto plates to serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals