Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
I’m looking for Fish Pattie’s red sauce with no fish taste

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 4:29 pm
Could be sepharadi or ashkenazi style.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 4:49 pm
A mild white fish that is fresh doesn’t have an unpleasant fishy odor or taste. Fresh fish has very little odor like the sea.

You can make with fish filets if you don’t want to make patties

Here is a classic version of Chraime

FISH KEBABS WITH CHRAIME

Excerpt From: Bonnie Stern. “Don't Worry, Just Cook

Serves 6 to 8

Chraime is a spicy North African tomato sauce usually cooked with fish. In Israel, this dish is often served for Friday night dinner, and as an appetizer during the Jewish holidays. When I first tasted it at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem in 2005, on the very first culinary tour I led with Rabbi Elyse Goldstein and our guide, Judy Stacey Goldman, I loved it so much that I knew I wouldn’t be making gefilte fish often anymore. Since I started making chraime after that trip, my version has continuously evolved and, for one thing, is much less spicy than that first one I tasted. Also, I started using cherry tomatoes but you can substitute canned tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), or 3 lb chopped fresh tomatoes when tomatoes are local, in season, and delicious. Instead of the Mediterranean fish typically used, I started using fish like halibut and Arctic char, but everything came together when I started making the dish with fish kebabs. In Israel, a kebab is usually a patty made with ground meat or fish and isn’t necessarily something grilled on a skewer. This recipe, especially now that I use chopped fish, is even more appropriate as an alternative for gefilte fish. (No offense to gefilte fish lovers—I know there are a few of you out there.)

Fish Kebabs

1 large or 2 small shallots, or 1 small onion, chopped
2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 lb white-fleshed fish (like cod, haddock, or halibut)
¾ cup chopped fresh dill, cilantro, or flat-leaf parsley (or a combination)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground coriander seeds
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp sweet paprika
¼ tsp ground sumac
¼ tsp ground turmeric
⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper

Sauce

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 small onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, halved, seeded, and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp to 1 Tbsp harissa, depending on your heat tolerance (see this page)
6 cups cherry tomatoes
¼ cup water + more as needed
¼ cup + ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1 long red chili, thinly sliced into rounds
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced into rounds

For Serving (optional)

Basic Tahini sauce (this page)

Z’hug (this page)

Rice pilaf (this page), couscous, mashed potatoes, or freekeh

1. For the fish kebabs, in a skillet set over medium heat, cook the shallots in 2 Tbsp olive oil for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Set aside to cool.

2. Chop the fish with a big, sharp knife until some smallish pieces remain and some are finely minced. If you are doing this in a food processor, cut the fish into about 1-inch pieces and then pulse until the fish resembles hand-chopped fish—try not to overprocess it. Transfer the fish to a bowl, then add the cooled shallots, herbs, egg, salt, cardamom, cumin, sweet paprika, sumac, turmeric, and pepper. Mix well. Shape the mixture into 16 to 20 small patties, about 2 oz each.

3. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil to a large, deep, heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until browned—you will probably have to do this in batches. Don’t worry about cooking them through, as they will finish cooking in the sauce. Set the browned patties aside.

4. For the sauce, heat the olive oil (in the same pan that you used to brown the fish) over medium heat (just make sure to wipe out any burned bits). Add the onions and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or just until tender and lightly browned. Add the garlic, chopped jalapeño, cumin, sweet paprika, turmeric, smoked paprika, and salt. Cook for about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and harissa. Cook for another minute. (At any point if the pan seems dry, add a few tablespoons of water.) Add the tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil (increase the heat if necessary), then cook on medium heat until the tomatoes split and collapse. Add ¼ cup cilantro. Let the tomatoes cook for a few minutes into a sauce while retaining a little of their shape. Season well.

5. Add the patties to the tomato sauce and gently cook for 5 to 8 minutes, covered, or until just cooked through. Sprinkle with the remaining cilantro and chilies, and serve with tahini sauce, and z’hug, if using.

FISH FILLET ALTERNATIVE: To make this recipe with fish fillets instead, skip steps 1 and 2 and add 2 lb boneless, skinless fish fillets, seasoned with salt and pepper, to the sauce in a single layer in step 3. Cook just until the fish is cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the thickness. When I am making this for more than 6 people, and the fish will not fit in the pan in a single layer, I usually make the sauce first and roast the fish separately on a large baking sheet, then spoon the sauce over the roasted fish to serve.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics