Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Limp from a virus??
Previous  1  2

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 7:30 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Strep bacteremia does not typically present as a well child limping. Anyone with bacteremia usually looks exceedingly ill.

Don’t think this is true.
I worked in a doctors office a long time ago and remember a few times where people came in with limping/ not walking kids and it was strep. No other symptoms.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 7:45 am
I work as an x-ray tech. In one week I had at least 4 kids come in for pelvic x-rays for sudden limping. The doctor told them it's a virus and if it doesn't go away then to come back. One kid came back a week later for something else and the doc said if it doesn't go away then to do an MRI. I don't know what happened but it was possibly something going around.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:19 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
Strep bacteremia does not typically present as a well child limping. Anyone with bacteremia usually looks exceedingly ill.
People on this site and elsewhere mistakenly use the term “strep in blood” to mean otherwise asymptomatic strep infection or chronic strep infection or strep infection that doesn’t show typical strep symptoms and might not show on a culture either. Assuming this error came about because it’s diagnosed by drawing strep titers via the blood. They do not mean actual strep bacteremia or sepsis.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:32 am
Check out osteomyelitis.
I know a kid who had it. Their only symptom was that they stopped walking. Ended up hospitalized for over a week, maybe more, and then on antibiotics for a while...

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:50 am
amother Aster wrote:
Check out osteomyelitis.
I know a kid who had it. Their only symptom was that they stopped walking. Ended up hospitalized for over a week, maybe more, and then on antibiotics for a while...
I had osteomyelitis when I was 3. The doctor thought I was limping because I had a baby brother and was imitating him.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:33 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Check out osteomyelitis.

I wrote earlier that my baby had this over a year ago.
Symptoms were very different this time.

Last time she completely stopped moving at all and would not use the leg at all.
Now she is walking no problem but with a limp.
Barely complaining bh, but still there.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wrote earlier that my baby had this over a year ago.
Symptoms were very different this time.

Last time she completely stopped moving at all and would not use the leg at all.
Now she is walking no problem but with a limp.
Barely complaining bh, but still there.

Did you check inflammatory markers?

I had 2 kids limping.
1 had perthes, 1 had osteomyelitis..
They were also not young..
And Im not one to run to a dr at all. But 4 days is the max to wait .

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 1:55 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
I work as an x-ray tech. In one week I had at least 4 kids come in for pelvic x-rays for sudden limping. The doctor told them it's a virus and if it doesn't go away then to come back. One kid came back a week later for something else and the doc said if it doesn't go away then to do an MRI. I don't know what happened but it was possibly something going around.

Was this in an urgent care??

I dont believe anything the drs. Say there.
I took my 12 yr old in for an xray after taking blood work by the reg. Dr and the urgent care told me its nothing/ a leg cramp.
The next morn. I got a phone call to take my child in to chop from the reg. Dr.

I have more stories too unfortunately.
2 dif urgent care centers..

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:02 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Did you check inflammatory markers?

I had 2 kids limping.
1 had perthes, 1 had osteomyelitis..
They were also not young..
And Im not one to run to a dr at all. But 4 days is the max to wait .

Yes thats what the blood test was for.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:19 pm
amother Puce wrote:
People on this site and elsewhere mistakenly use the term “strep in blood” to mean otherwise asymptomatic strep infection or chronic strep infection or strep infection that doesn’t show typical strep symptoms and might not show on a culture either. Assuming this error came about because it’s diagnosed by drawing strep titers via the blood. They do not mean actual strep bacteremia or sepsis.

That is an important point. Thanks for that insight.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:21 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Don’t think this is true.
I worked in a doctors office a long time ago and remember a few times where people came in with limping/ not walking kids and it was strep. No other symptoms.

Read amother Puce’s comment. Apparently we’re talking about two different things. Strep in the blood stream as seen on blood cultures in medical terms is a very serious infection/sepsis. Clearly not what you’re talking about.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:46 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Was this in an urgent care??

I dont believe anything the drs. Say there.
I took my 12 yr old in for an xray after taking blood work by the reg. Dr and the urgent care told me its nothing/ a leg cramp.
The next morn. I got a phone call to take my child in to chop from the reg. Dr.

I have more stories too unfortunately.
2 dif urgent care centers..

This was actually a very good orthopedist. I don't know if he sent for blood work also or sent them to the pediatrician. It was in a regular clinic that also has x-ray there. Not in the USA. By you maybe there was nothing in the x-ray but something in the blood work. I don't actually know what other tests these kids had. But they should have been able to see osteomyelitis in an x-ray.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:47 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
This was actually a very good orthopedist. I don't know if he sent for blood work also or sent them to the pediatrician. It was in a regular clinic that also has x-ray there. Not in the USA. By you maybe there was nothing in the x-ray but something in the blood work. I don't actually know what other tests these kids had. But they should have been able to see osteomyelitis in an x-ray.

No.
The only way they saw this was with an MRI.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:59 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
That is an important point. Thanks for that insight.

I meant high markers of strept which could sometimes cause temporary arthritis type of symptoms. I had that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics